A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: 2000/21 Membership

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:JP has never invested in or financially supported Munster Rugby save for match tickets and pints. He does however support Limerick GAA financially. He is also an investor in the Limerick Rugby Museum, which is a private enterprise
His big money 'donation' was supposed to be the JP McManus International Rugby Experience in Limerick. If and when that comes to fruition, it is very good positive advertising and a support-generating bung, at a fraction of the cost of the tax he doesn't pay.

I had understood he had also contributed a chunk to the redevelopment of the Debt Star though? That was reported in various places. Including a book on the stadium, which I have obviously never read but turned up in a google search once. I believe it has the original title The Story of Thomond Park.
I guess all Leinster fans have, in a way, also contributed their own chunks to the Debt Star though.
Its like Rory Mcilroy and Ulster Rugby - if enough people say it enough times, it becomes true. Like Socrates playing Sigerson Cup
Or for Garforth Town ;-)
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

A little bit off topic but I do think there is merit in discussing on these forums as to where the money to cover our marquee signings comes from. If we are not here to plug in to someone with inside information or to speculate wildly then why are we here at all! :lol: :lol:

It is very hard to dispute DOBs involvement with Leinster. We didn't have the money for Johnny, he left, he came back and we magically had the money for him on the back of a far less successful run. Did the IRFU just print new money or, like suggested, it was outside investment.

It is also hard to dispute JP's involvement in Munster. And as you say, it is not on the accounts which makes it all the more interesting, how indeed are these contributions made. And if not McManus is it Magnier? The two South Africans have been confirmed (by JVG I think!) to be covered by significant outside investment.

Nothing wrong with it of course! Its an important part of rugby and professional sport. And its always good to know, as they say knowledge is power!

In a way, with our 20/21 membership fee we are all outside investors, covering Penney and Bairds wages for another year! :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sexton was a centrally contracted player and the IRFU botched the negotiations. They had the money, they even made an increased counter offer later in the process.

The IRFU have the money, just not to pay everyone.

I think Munster’s accounts will show a big increase in the wage bill and not much signs of significant private investment. Takes a lot of pressure of the coach to justify investment though
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Botched, absolutley. Fintan Drury is a very formidable agent and the IRFU were caught by him big time. They have definitely learned their lesson since those past few summers
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Up Wexford wrote:Botched, absolutley. Fintan Drury is a very formidable agent and the IRFU were caught by him big time. They have definitely learned their lesson since those past few summers
Fintan Drury had nothing to do with it and the IRFU were only caught by their own incompetence. If they had offered him a contract on the terms he wanted (salary parity with the highest paid central contracted players) before he entered the pre-free agency period they would have had him for considerably less than he's being paid now. He was prepared to sign for the Union for an amount that was smaller by his then current salary than what he was being offered elsewhere. They thought they were playing hardball, but all they really did was give him a free pass to talk to anyone anywhere without their involvement.
I have Bumbleflex
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Agree with you there, IRFU messed it up totally. I seem to remember hearing Drury on Newstalk around that time and his big point was how he was astonished how little our biggest players were being paid in comparison to his other clients. Perhaps Drury gave him the final push to jump where others, BOD, Heaslip etc etc stayed? Again, obviously it was an IRFU botch job but if I was paying the best agent in the game to represent me I'd want to listen to what he said instead of ignoring him and doing my own thing anyway :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Up Wexford wrote:Botched, absolutley. Fintan Drury is a very formidable agent and the IRFU were caught by him big time. They have definitely learned their lesson since those past few summers
Fintan Drury had nothing to do with it and the IRFU were only caught by their own incompetence. If they had offered him a contract on the terms he wanted (salary parity with the highest paid central contracted players) before he entered the pre-free agency period they would have had him for considerably less than he's being paid now. He was prepared to sign for the Union for an amount that was smaller by his then current salary than what he was being offered elsewhere. They thought they were playing hardball, but all they really did was give him a free pass to talk to anyone anywhere without their involvement.
He wrote about it pretty extensively in his autobiography. The IRFU's first offer was his previous base salary "[plus] an increase of five grand a year with the same match bonuses, or a twenty-five grand increase with no bonuses. They are also offering a two year deal, when I was hoping for three or four."

It was a stupidly low offer, and Sexton got the hump.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sexton signed a provincial backup money contract before Contepomi left. Then he signed an international backup contract while O'Gara was still playing. We got great, great value out of him. The IRFU got greedy when they tried to keep him on a lot less than other internationals. He was one of the most sought after players in the world and everyone knew it.

Pull that stuff with fringe players, maybe. But if they were really that stuck for cash (they weren't) there were other ways to be tight.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Has anyone done this yet? I threw my name down on the waiting list, and got an email today saying I could sign up early.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

domhnallj wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 3:15 pm Has anyone done this yet? I threw my name down on the waiting list, and got an email today saying I could sign up early.
Same.
And I went for it. A membership (where I could potentially pick games) would suit me better than a season ticket.
I know you can get individual games anyway but still... I like spending money ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Would anyone who got one of these like to share the Lifesytle sports discount code.. Save a few quid on the kids Jerseys for christmas.. Thanks
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

dod wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm Would anyone who got one of these like to share the Lifesytle sports discount code.. Save a few quid on the kids Jerseys for christmas.. Thanks
LNSTR_10%

Last season they did a promotion for the weekend of Black Friday (I think?) where they had - buy two Leinster products with the second cheaper one 50% off, not sure how that will work this year but I would think they will still do something. You might be better waiting a few weeks or maybe they won't have the same stock levels as other years (which can be dreadful at the best of times).
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

dod wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm Would anyone who got one of these like to share the Lifesytle sports discount code.. Save a few quid on the kids Jerseys for christmas.. Thanks
I got one of these and I have received no information since I paid. Has anyone got their membership pack etc yet?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

domhnallj wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am
I got one of these and I have received no information since I paid. Has anyone got their membership pack etc yet?
They sent an email on 1st October

All welcome gift packs are due to be delivered the last week of October as there has been a slight delay in production due to Covid-19.

Your welcome pack includes a scarf, Official Membership pin, car sticker and membership card. The scarf has been designed by a Season Ticket Holder from our Money Cant' Buy Competition in April.
They also have sent a few emails about competitions associated with the membership there is one currently on with the prize being the new alt jersey. If you log into your normal season ticket account you can enter it if you have a membership.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

OTT wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am
domhnallj wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am
They sent an email on 1st October

All welcome gift packs are due to be delivered the last week of October as there has been a slight delay in production due to Covid-19.

Your welcome pack includes a scarf, Official Membership pin, car sticker and membership card. The scarf has been designed by a Season Ticket Holder from our Money Cant' Buy Competition in April.
They also have sent a few emails about competitions associated with the membership there is one currently on with the prize being the new alt jersey. If you log into your normal season ticket account you can enter it if you have a membership.
Thanks, found it in my junk folder (along with many work emails!)

dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

OTT wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:13 pm
LNSTR_10%

Last season they did a promotion for the weekend of Black Friday (I think?) where they had - buy two Leinster products with the second cheaper one 50% off, not sure how that will work this year but I would think they will still do something. You might be better waiting a few weeks or maybe they won't have the same stock levels as other years (which can be dreadful at the best of times).
Thanks very much
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

My €120 scarves arrived in the post today. The recession is obviously really biting as they're so short, they'll barely fit around my neck. Brass neck, hard neck or otherwise. Maybe I should get the two of them sewn together.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Agreed. Scarf is more like a glorified tea towel.