Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by wixfjord »

Wow, pretty strong words from Jonny Petrie - https://twitter.com/JP_Petrie/status/13 ... 5201811457
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:09 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:08 pm
wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:17 am Strong talk that Coetzee is leaving Ulster and heading to the Bulls.

Deegan to go north would be a fairly good bet I’d say.

Departure at the end of the season confirmed now by Ulster.

Its a big problem for them - the one thing they are really lacking when he doesn't play is a power carrier
Yep and I'm not sure Deegan would add that either.
I don't think he would, I don't think he'd really add anything that they don't already have (outside of Coetzee) - he might be better at some of it, but one thing he isn't is a power guy
I have Bumbleflex
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:12 pm Wow, pretty strong words from Jonny Petrie - https://twitter.com/JP_Petrie/status/13 ... 5201811457

If he’s out of contract and wants to go home I don’t see what all the fuss is about. He’s played well for them any time I’ve seen him play.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:14 pm
wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:12 pm Wow, pretty strong words from Jonny Petrie - https://twitter.com/JP_Petrie/status/13 ... 5201811457

If he’s out of contract and wants to go home I don’t see what all the fuss is about. He’s played well for them any time I’ve seen him play.
He isn't out of contract though, that's the point.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

There's serious bad blood up north about Coetzee leaving and/or the Bulls buying him out before the end of his contract. As an outsider looking in, it's great to see some serious rivalry injected into the Pro16 before a ball has even been kicked! We've already now got a grudge fixture already to look forward to. Hopefully the Bulls and the Ultonians end up in the same pool for the Rainbow Tournament!!!!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

If he’s not out of contract why can’t they just tell him he’s staying?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not out of contract until summer of 2022, and Ulster were very good to him during his original contract when he was injured for two thirds of it
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:25 pm If he’s not out of contract why can’t they just tell him he’s staying?
To what end? How would that benefit Ulster?
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:25 pm

If he’s not out of contract why can’t they just tell him he’s staying?
Technically they possibly could.

In reality, they've chosen to not keep a very expensive guy who doesn't want to be there and facilitate a move.

Bulls will likely be paying a buy out clause.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Dave Cahill wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:25 pm If he’s not out of contract why can’t they just tell him he’s staying?
He would play for them for the remainder of his contract, he’s a professional player after all. Messi had a transfer request turned down during the summer and is banging in goals for Barca.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm
He would play for them for the remainder of his contract, he’s a professional player after all. Messi had a transfer request turned down during the summer and is banging in goals for Barca.
One would hope that he would, and I have no reason to suggest he wouldn't, but other players in his position haven't always been so professional - and you try to make a player spend 18 months where he doesn't want to be and you'll soon find that there are 100s of ways of making your retention less than desireable - and all of them are contractually sound.

This way, Ulster at least will probably get a few bob for him and they have six months to find a replacement in a pretty good employers market
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

riocard911 wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm There's serious bad blood up north about Coetzee leaving and/or the Bulls buying him out before the end of his contract. As an outsider looking in, it's great to see some serious rivalry injected into the Pro16 before a ball has even been kicked! We've already now got a grudge fixture already to look forward to. Hopefully the Bulls and the Ultonians end up in the same pool for the Rainbow Tournament!!!!
You do realise this probably means another Leinster player moving north?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

When you have to desperately slash budget, an offer for one of the highest paid players in Ireland looks tempting, especially for a non-international. Even better if there's a fee.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Keith wrote:You do realise this probably means another Leinster player moving north?
More than probably. It’s guaranteed his replacement will be sourced from our wealth of back rows — most likely Deegan as mentioned. Sure, he’s not a like for like replacement, but we can’t really offer them a player exactly in the mould of Coetzee and Deegan’s contract expires this summer along with Penny (who will go south).
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Serb wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Keith wrote:You do realise this probably means another Leinster player moving north?
More than probably. It’s guaranteed his replacement will be sourced from our wealth of back rows — most likely Deegan as mentioned. Sure, he’s not a like for like replacement, but we can’t really offer them a player exactly in the mould of Coetzee and Deegan’s contract expires this summer along with Penny (who will go south).
Alex Soroka? :wink:
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Jack McGrath .... not exactly the same thing but close enough
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Crazy move. I was only reading an article the other day where he was saying how lucky he was that Ulster stood by him.
You would imagine he would have returned the favour.

Given the financial situation within the IRFU you would have to think that players will be rotated between provinces to cover off gaps like these.

I know that there are a list of players at Leinster who could potentially be heading north, but I would see this as a great opportunity for JOD to get regular first choice gametime, and I think he would be a great fit.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

munster#1 wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:31 pm Crazy move. I was only reading an article the other day where he was saying how lucky he was that Ulster stood by him.

Given the financial situation within the IRFU you would have to think that players will be rotated between provinces to cover off gaps like these.

I know that there are a list of players at Leinster who could potentially be heading north, but I would see this as a great opportunity for JOD to get regular first choice gametime, and I think he would be a great fit.
How about sending Gavin Coombes to Ravers? He'd be an even greater fit!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:11 am
munster#1 wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:31 pm Crazy move. I was only reading an article the other day where he was saying how lucky he was that Ulster stood by him.

How about sending Gavin Coombes to Ravers? He'd be an even greater fit!!!
I would rather see neither go, and I doubt it will be a player from Munster, but never say never.

They need a ball carrier, so that will reduce the list of potential signings, as many of the options that would be seen as a luxury item at the other 3 provinces would not posses this talent to the level required.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:27 am
cormac wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:18 am
wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:17 am Strong talk that Coetzee is leaving Ulster and heading to the Bulls.

Deegan to go north would be a fairly good bet I’d say.
They've got David McCann coming through at No.8. He looked a real blue chip prospect when captaining the U-20's last season. They should be looking to back him rather than importing yet another solution.
He's a fantastic player but is still only 20, and not an immediate replacement for their best player.
Deegan would go straight into the first 15.

If he comes back from the ACL and he's interested in a move it's a no brainer.

With less contracts and less money to go around it makes a lot of sense from an IRFU POV too.

Rhys would be another one I'd look at if I were Ulster. He'd be an incredible signing and give them an edge that their pack still lacks a bit.
Generally best not to try to replace a player like that like-for-like. Get other guys to do more carrying rather than find another elite carrier.