A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by wixfjord »

I would imagine we'll see:

Fardy & Cronin move on.

Bent & Toner be given another one year contract.

Deegan/Conan move north.

Adam Byrne be given another year contract if he can get fit before end of the season.

Don't think we'll see any incomings unless we bring in a IQ THP from somewhere to act as a foil for Clarkson.

I'm not sure where else you could credibly reduce without hampering the chances of success majorly, given Leinster are main providers to the national side it's right that the squad is bigger than everyone else.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Serb wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:41 am The squad isn’t that big - only one player more than Munster in the senior squad. 45 players is a pretty standard size. Seems larger because of heavy academy involvement. We have 5 players in year 3 of the academy so they’ll be in line for promotions / the chop.

Personally I think only backrow is a position where regrettable departures are inevitable (Penny, Deegan and/or Conan).

Other spots will be opened up by retirements (Fardy, maybe Cronin, Bent, Toner are also candidates), squad players moving on (no obvious candidates here, maybe someone like Adam Byrne) or academy players who have been involved with the senior team not getting contracts.
Going off of each teams website, the Leinster squad has 47 players listed and Munster have 43.
You would expect Leinster to have a larger squad based on players involved with Ireland, but I would be surprised if both teams aren’t forced to reduce numbers.

Where I see the problem for both squads will not just be reducing the squad sizes, but to reduce squad sizes whilst also providing space for promotion.

For example, if Leinster are to reduce their squad to 43 players and promote 2 or 3 academy players, then they will have to let go 6 or 7 of the current senior squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:49 am I would imagine we'll see:

Fardy & Cronin move on.

Deegan/Conan move north.

Adam Byrne be given another year contract if he can get fit before end of the season.

Don't think we'll see any incomings unless we bring in a IQ THP from somewhere to act as a foil for Clarkson.

I'm not sure where else you could credibly reduce without hampering the chances of success majorly, given Leinster are main providers to the national side it's right that the squad is bigger than everyone else.
I think we'll let a scrum-half go, must likely Osborne. We probably won't promote Patterson to the Senior squad, so will be left with three scrum-halves in the Senior squad [McGrath, JGP and O'Sullivan] and Foley in the academy, potentially with another academy scrum-half coming in.

I don't see us promoting either Silvester or O'Sullivan; it's tough for them that their contracts come up for discussion in what is a very lean year. We've got players in those exact positions [Smith and O'Reilly] further down the Academy depth chart who we are only going to have to pay €8k a year – and that may fall – and neither of the two more senior lads are bashing the door down for contracts in terms of their performances.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Both Rhys Ruddock (rib) and Jordan Larmour made returns in the top of Conference A clash and came through with no issues.

Flanker Josh Murphy is expected to train as normal this week following a minor calf injury.

Further assessment is required for Seán Cronin, Ciarán Frawley and James Lowe.

Cronin injured his knee against Ulster and will be monitored as the week progresses while Frawley has returned to training following a hamstring injury.

Lowe (groin) has also returned to training this week.

Meanwhile, Scott Penny has passed the Graduated Return to Play Protocols from the Connacht Rugby game but also sustained a neck injury in the game and will require further assessment

No New Injury Update:

Garry Ringrose (jaw), Conor O’Brien (knee), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Max Deegan (knee), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:19 am
CiaranIrl wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:43 am Please don't start another conversation about school. PLEASE.
I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school. He could throw that speedball by you, make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out, we went back inside sat down had a few drinks
But all he kept talking about was....
... Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of...
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:41 pm
RoboProp wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:19 am
CiaranIrl wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:43 am Please don't start another conversation about school. PLEASE.
I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school. He could throw that speedball by you, make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out, we went back inside sat down had a few drinks
But all he kept talking about was....
... Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of...
they'll pass you by
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Fardy & Cronin move on.

Deegan/Conan move north.

I think we'll let a scrum-half go, must likely Osborne. We probably won't promote Patterson to the Senior squad, so will be left with three scrum-halves in the Senior squad [McGrath, JGP and O'Sullivan] and Foley in the academy, potentially with another academy scrum-half coming in.

I don't see us promoting either Silvester or O'Sullivan; it's tough for them that their contracts come up for discussion in what is a very lean year. We've got players in those exact positions [Smith and O'Reilly] further down the Academy depth chart who we are only going to have to pay €8k a year – and that may fall – and neither of the two more senior lads are bashing the door down for contracts in terms of their performances.
If lack of funds is a big issue it'd be cheaper to cut Adam Byrne and Cian Kelleher and have O'Sullivan and Silvester in the squad in their place on development contracts.

You'd still have JOB, Keenan, DK, TOB, Lowe and Larmour as more established back three options.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I wouldn’t cut Kelleher, but sadly it does seem like Adam Byrne could be deemed surplus to requirements. He hasn’t played in over a year. Not sure how much we would be paying him but his salary would probably come close to funding two development contracts for Sylvester / O’Sullivan.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Serb wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:10 pm I wouldn’t cut Kelleher, but sadly it does seem like Adam Byrne could be deemed surplus to requirements. He hasn’t played in over a year. Not sure how much we would be paying him but his salary would probably come close to funding two development contracts for Sylvester / O’Sullivan.
If Leinster have any sense they’ll have insurance in place to pay players who are long term injured. The company I work for pays illness benefit for up to 13 weeks and has had a policy in place for the last 20 years which pays the salary of any staff member who’s illness exceeds 13 weeks.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:04 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Fardy & Cronin move on.

Deegan/Conan move north.

If lack of funds is a big issue it'd be cheaper to cut Adam Byrne and Cian Kelleher and have O'Sullivan and Silvester in the squad in their place on development contracts.

You'd still have JOB, Keenan, DK, TOB, Lowe and Larmour as more established back three options.
Would be ridiculously harsh to cut Cian Kelleher after the two seasons he has had.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Serb wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:10 pmI wouldn’t cut Kelleher, but sadly it does seem like Adam Byrne could be deemed surplus to requirements. He hasn’t played in over a year. Not sure how much we would be paying him but his salary would probably come close to funding two development contracts for Sylvester / O’Sullivan.
Oh, I'd say so. Easily. Nucifora has been quoted as saying the 7s players were getting paid the equivalent of a development contract, because that's how they see 7s - as a development tool. Their salary is 18,000 euros, plus a 500 euro bonus for each of the 10 7s series legs. So, what's that, pay in the region of 18,000 to 23,000 euros. What would Byrne be on? 80,000 or thereabouts? That's just a guess, but I remember Bent signing a new contract worth 80,000 about four years ago. Byrne might be on similar to that.
wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:30 amWould be ridiculously harsh to cut Cian Kelleher after the two seasons he has had.
Possibly, but at the same time he's a 26 year old with a significant amount of rugby under his belt - 54 appearances for Connacht and 20 for Leinster - so there's likely diminished scope for further improvement than with someone with less exposure. It's hard to see him any higher than third choice in any of the back three positions with JOB, Keenan, DK, TOB, Larmour, and Lowe in the equation.

From next season could you cover the gametime he's got in the last two seasons by a combination of O'Sullivan, Smith, O'Reilly and Silvester? They'll all be another 8 or 9 months more established by the time next season rolls around.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leinster lost McFadden, Kearney, Daly, Mullen, Tomane in the off-season. Having more depth than we needed was maybe true back then, but doesn’t look it now. There’ve also been a lot of injuries on top of that and we can now expect 5 outside backs in Ireland squads (all contenders to play).

I don’t know what situation Byrne and COB are in with injuries and they might not get renewed. Losing Kelleher on top of that would be setting up for trouble.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: January 18th, 2021, 1:16 am
Possibly, but at the same time he's a 26 year old with a significant amount of rugby under his belt - 54 appearances for Connacht and 20 for Leinster - so there's likely diminished scope for further improvement than with someone with less exposure. It's hard to see him any higher than third choice in any of the back three positions with JOB, Keenan, DK, TOB, Larmour, and Lowe in the equation.

From next season could you cover the gametime he's got in the last two seasons by a combination of O'Sullivan, Smith, O'Reilly and Silvester? They'll all be another 8 or 9 months more established by the time next season rolls around.
It's a good point.

My take would be that Lowe, Keenan, Larmour will all be with Ireland for considerable periods and CK's form over last 18 months or so has shown he is certainly good enough to play big games.

I haven't seen much from O'Sullivan or Silvester to warrant a contract and Smith/O'Reilly are still very early in academy.

I think CK, like DK, is an important player for us to give some depth and experience in that backline when internationals are away, particularly if you're also losing Adam Byrne.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I do hope Adam Byrne gets another year contract btw.

He has been hugely unlucky with injuries but he could still be a very useful weapon for us.

I just hope he has spent the last year closely studying DK and his defensive approach.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Felipe Contepomi set to remain with Leinster but veterans Fardy and Toner face uncertain future.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 04320.html
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I guess the actual news there is that Contepomi might stay. Fardy is gone, no doubt about that. Toner was always going to be a questionable one, would be tough to lose so much experience in one position in one go, would be happy if he got one more year.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Fardy fine but I would try to keep Toner for another year. Baird and Dunne still very inexperienced- get Dev involved in coaching line out
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We never had a hope of retaining Fardy and his peformances have declined somewhat; if he did get another year, he'd be 38 by the end of next season.

I think losing Toner would be a mistake. He never had any pace to lose with age and like many giant locks, he could probably play at a high level until nearly 40 (he doesn't have a big injury history either). Especially with Fardy gone, Toner would also be a great experienced figure to have around during international breaks, in particular for our batch of young hookers and seemingly dodgy line-out. He is 34 now, but that isn't actually old for a 6'11" second-row.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Blue Man wrote: January 24th, 2021, 10:50 pm Fardy fine but I would try to keep Toner for another year. Baird and Dunne still very inexperienced- get Dev involved in coaching line out
that happening as is.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

There’s positive news on the injury front from the game against Munster Rugby at the weekend, Cullen confirming that Garry Ringrose came through his return from a jaw injury with no issues and will link up with the Irish squad as planned this week.

And while Dan Leavy (calf) and Dave Kearney (hamstring) were ruled out of contention for that same game with minor issues, both are expected to train as normal this week and be available for selection for the game against Scarlets.

Unfortunately, Jimmy O’Brien has definitely been ruled out of the game with a hamstring injury that forced him off in the second half at Thomond Park.

Johnny Sexton was also forced off early in the second half of the game with a minor muscle injury but he will also link up with the Irish squad this week ahead of the Guinness Six Nations.

James Lowe is another player still working on his rehabilitation from a groin issue but he is also due to link up with the Irish squad this week for further assessment as he nears a return.

Tadhg Furlong is also very close to a return and he will look to increase his training involvement this week after recovering from a calf issue, while another tighthead prop, Michael Bent, is recovering from a neck strain picked up at training and he requires further assessment this week.

There was no update from Cullen on the following players:

Rory O’Loughlin (shoulder), Scott Penny (neck), Conor O’Brien (knee), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Max Deegan (knee), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring)
AB back running at training today.