Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by Jonny tight lips »

And maybe Ben Healy training with Scotland ..... if he moved to Glasgow or Edinburgh that would be so funny well at least up until the point they went crying to the IRFU to get a replacement off us.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would prefer Frawley to Henshaw at 12 from next season, with Harry Byrne at 10. Would be helpful if Frawley could pack on another 5 kg or so.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The IRFU’s refusal to enter negotiations despite 50 per cent of their professional players being out of contract next July has led to agents offering some of Ireland’s top internationals to French clubs.

The agents believe their hands have been forced. “In the next couple of weeks we will have firm offers from clubs in France and the IRFU have not engaged or made any offers at all,” said a senior sports agent. “It’s seems absolutely bonkers.”

The Irish Times has spoken to several leading rugby agents – all spoke anonymously to avoid damaging their clients’ future prospects – and many believe that IRFU performance director David Nucifora is stalling talks until French and English clubs have completed recruitment for next season.

“Is [Nucifora] waiting for French and English clubs to do their business? Of course he is,” said another agent. “It is nothing to do with money. The IRFU leave the negotiations as long as they can because they know there will be less options.”

Nucifora is refusing to meet player representatives even in an informal setting.

‘Low-ball offer’
A veteran Irish international also says that “very limited information” is being relayed to players. And there is a growing fear that they are missing out on opportunities to move abroad which, in turn, allows the IRFU to come in with “a low-ball offer when other options have evaporated”.

Another agent, however, expressed sympathy for Nucifora’s inability to fully know the IRFU’s financial position until the Government makes a decision on crowds returning to stadiums in 2021.

“It has actually worked out very well for players to be aware of their options outside of Ireland. Normally the top-end players don’t get this opportunity as the IRFU and the provinces are very proactive in initiating contract discussions,” said the agent

Initial conversations have occurred between agents and the provinces, so players could be informed that they are wanted. However, no financial offers can be made until Nucifora says so despite up to 100 professionals being out of contract next summer.

The performance director said on Monday there will be no discussions until after Christmas.

An agent also noted that “positive news around vaccines and the likelihood of crowds returning before next season” would alter the value of each deal.

Nucifora, who has administered the professional game in Ireland since 2014, reiterated this week that selection for Ireland will only be open to players contracted to Connacht, Leinster, Munster and Ulster.

Another agent cannot understand why Nucifora – the twice capped Wallaby hooker – has not chosen to negotiate contracts that can be increased or reduced based on income the IRFU earns from supporters entering stadiums next year.

“There is a way of dealing with that if the IRFU say, ‘here is the offer we are willing to give in normal circumstances – that is your value – but there is a phased reduction that goes up and down whether we are at 25 per cent, 50 per cent or 100 per cent capacity.’ ”

Influential young players like Garry Ringrose, James Ryan and Jacob Stockdale signed lucrative deals last season but several veterans are facing into a worrying financial period as the IRFU refuses to engage in discussions.

“I know there is a lot of frustration on the players going into Christmas with no security.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The financial position of the IRFU is so precarious that Nucifora has no ability to negotiate with anyone. There is resistance within Cabinet to bail out professional rugby players whilst all but the very top of GAA is precluded from even playing and there are no spectators even at the highest level.

Nuicifora is an easy target for anonymous agents but they've targeted the wrong guy this time.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

plenty of non-top level GAA has been played this year and thanks to many of their actions we had huge breakouts throughout the country.

and now look minor and u20 gaa is allowed play while every other sport is precluded.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It’s an agents jobs to break any effort by the IRFU to impose collective terms. Salaries tied to income might make sense.

Professional rugby can go ahead during restrictions because pro players can bear more onerous restrictions (they already follow doping rules) and because we need televised sports to help us bear lockdown fatigue.

Other sports should be considered in those contexts.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

so Ciaran Parker gone back to Jersey..
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Hope Benty enjoyed his week off

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:37 pm so Ciaran Parker gone back to Jersey..
Could mean TF is close!......... I doubt it........ but it could :)
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:52 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:37 pm so Ciaran Parker gone back to Jersey..
My exact thoughts as Porter will be rested maybe both Christmas games
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:52 pm
More likely to mean tha Leinster can count up to three
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

The match day 23 from the weekend came through the Montpellier game with no issues and are expected to train as normal this week with Scott Fardy’s knee injury not considered serious.

Johnny Sexton was a late withdrawal from the match day 23 against Montpellier as his dead leg tightened after the captain’s run on Friday evening at GGL Stadium. He will be further assessed this week before a final decision is made on his inclusion.

Garry Ringrose is in the final stages of his recovery from a jaw injury and will be further assessed over the week before a final decision is made.

Unfortunately there was bad news for centre Conor O’Brien who injured his ACL last week in training and is due to have a procedure as a result.

There was no new update on the following players who all remain unavailable for selection:

Ed Byrne (calf), James Lowe (groin), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Jack Conan (neck), Max Deegan (knee), Jordan Larmour (shoulder), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring).
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oh for f%~k sake. That's horrendous news on COB.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

horrendous luck. If he is lucky he might be back for the start of next season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That is brutal for COB, really feel for him. He'll be closing in on 26 by the time he returns and will have missed an awful lot of rugby. Chris Farrell had similarly bad luck and is in good shape now so fingers crossed he can replicate that.

I'm worried about the lack of updates on Adam now. He was injured at the start of August and was supposed to be out for 12 weeks but there's still no update? This was a massive season for him and we're also just quite short of wingers so we could do with him being fit. The path was much clearer for him and it was make or break this season so hopefully there's good news soon and he can get back to his best.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Strong talk that Coetzee is leaving Ulster and heading to the Bulls.

Deegan to go north would be a fairly good bet I’d say.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:17 am Strong talk that Coetzee is leaving Ulster and heading to the Bulls.

They've got David McCann coming through at No.8. He looked a real blue chip prospect when captaining the U-20's last season. They should be looking to back him rather than importing yet another solution.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:18 am
wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:17 am Strong talk that Coetzee is leaving Ulster and heading to the Bulls.

They've got David McCann coming through at No.8. He looked a real blue chip prospect when captaining the U-20's last season. They should be looking to back him rather than importing yet another solution.
He's a fantastic player but is still only 20, and not an immediate replacement for their best player.
Deegan would go straight into the first 15.

If he comes back from the ACL and he's interested in a move it's a no brainer.

With less contracts and less money to go around it makes a lot of sense from an IRFU POV too.

Rhys would be another one I'd look at if I were Ulster. He'd be an incredible signing and give them an edge that their pack still lacks a bit.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Departure at the end of the season confirmed now by Ulster.

Its a big problem for them - the one thing they are really lacking when he doesn't play is a power carrier
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Departure at the end of the season confirmed now by Ulster.

Its a big problem for them - the one thing they are really lacking when he doesn't play is a power carrier
Yep and I'm not sure Deegan would add that either.