Fullback options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Some concern has been expressed about Leinster's options at 15 going forward with RK leaving at the end of the season, below are 4 young options of varying ability and experience:

Jordan Larmour(23) - 46 caps, signed contract in 2020
Hugo Keenan(24) - 14 caps, signed contract in 2019
Jimmy O'Brien(23) - 17 caps, signed contract in 2019
Ciaran Frawley(22) - 25 caps, signed contract in 2019

This is discounting players like Cian Kelleher(26), James Lowe(28) and Dave Kearney(31) who also have experience playing 15 as well as any potential fullbacks who may be in the academy.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on June 26th, 2020, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Fullback options going forward

Post by johng »

And James Lowe who has played 15 for the Maori All Blacks and Leinster. As far as I can remember.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:And James Lowe who has played 15 for the Maori All Blacks and Leinster. As far as I can remember.
Has he played there for Leinster? I'd put him in the group of players who can play there but it's pretty unlikely he ever will start a game for Leinster there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:
johng wrote:And James Lowe who has played 15 for the Maori All Blacks and Leinster. As far as I can remember.
Has he played there for Leinster? I'd put him in the group of players who can play there but it's pretty unlikely he ever will start a game for Leinster there.
He's been strictly a left wing for us and I could see that being the same going forward, except for the international aspect. Do you move him or do you move Stockdale? Assuming you want them both on the pitch.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There are plenty of bodies but we will miss Rob.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Have we got any full forward options going back?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:Have we got any full forward options going back?
Lockdown getting to you? :wink:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO, Hugo Keenan put in a very strong application for this post in the Season so far. Jordan Larmour looked like the ordained inheritor but Hugo looks a better full-back without the same startling skills as Larmour.

Jimmy O'Brien is a really versatile player and, given game time, could yet become a real contender. Ciaran Frawley could also graduate to the No 1t jersey if Leinster want to focus on playing a second play-maker.

Is Larmour a better winger than a full-back? Are Leinster a better team with a positionally strong full back? Can Keenan continuee his development as a counter-attacking full-back when he gets more attention from opponents at a higher level?

Apart from looking forward to our results, it is in areas like this that I am really optimistic about the prospects of how we'll develop our options at full-back.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO, Hugo Keenan put in a very strong application for this post in the Season so far. Jordan Larmour looked like the ordained inheritor but Hugo looks a better full-back without the same startling skills as Larmour.

Jimmy O'Brien is a really versatile player and, given game time, could yet become a real contender. Ciaran Frawley could also graduate to the No 15 jersey if Leinster want to focus on playing a second play-maker.

Is Larmour a better winger than a full-back? Are Leinster a better team with a positionally strong full back? Can Keenan continuee his development as a counter-attacking full-back when he gets more attention from opponents at a higher level?

Apart from looking forward to our results, it is in areas like this that I am really optimistic about the prospects of how we'll develop our options at full-back.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep Keenan was really impressive this season, would love to see him given a shot in a full side in a bigger game.

Would be good to see Frawley get a good few games back there too. He brings something that none of the others do really. Not sure he's going to make it at 10 for us so would be interesting to see if he can give that proper second playmaker option.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Larmour in the papers saying he has been working on stepping in at 1st/2nd receiver.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 13th, 2020, 8:07 am Larmour in the papers saying he has been working on stepping in at 1st/2nd receiver.
Hope that goes ok. It'll tax his skill set. He's a stepper and a damn fine one. Decide and distribute isnt for everyone.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Watching the Northampton v Leinster and England v Ireland games again one thing that sticks out is England's first try.
Northampton tried something similar and it nearly came off.
Wouldn't have happened in Rob's day.
Rob, like Dempsey before him, has incredible positional sense.
Keenan looks a more natural 15 and perhaps Larmour should be considered for the 13 jersey.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

ronk wrote: August 13th, 2020, 9:53 am
mildlyinterested wrote: August 13th, 2020, 8:07 am Larmour in the papers saying he has been working on stepping in at 1st/2nd receiver.
Hope that goes ok. It'll tax his skill set. He's a stepper and a damn fine one. Decide and distribute isnt for everyone.

The way the game is going I think fullbacks will need to be playmakers to help break down defences. They need to have a broad skillset to threaten defences more.

George Ford talked about stopping Ireland by targeting Sexton and how everything goes through Sexton. So options at 15 and/or 12 would help the attack become more unpredictable.

I think all fullbacks need to expand their game or be pushed in that direction. I think Hawkshaw could potentially play there and be that option. He was fantastic at creating space for others and himself for the Irish U20s with great footwork and awareness. He was playing 12 then.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

So who is going to be playing 15 for the forseeable future?

Keenan is away with Ireland, Larmour is injured.

Kelleher? JOB?

Personally i'd be happy to see JOB get a good run there.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

JOB for me, what about Silvester? He still knocking about on?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote: October 12th, 2020, 1:01 pm JOB for me, what about Silvester? He still knocking about on?
He is.. but can't see him playing 15 ahead of JOB.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Wrong thread Image
Last edited by Serb on October 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dunno what the story is with O'Sullivan, no sign of him for A's or recent academy training photos.

Smith is possible, although unlikely.. probably needs a few more injuries.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 12th, 2020, 3:42 pm Dunno what the story is with O'Sullivan, no sign of him for A's or recent academy training photos.

Smith is possible, although unlikely.. probably needs a few more injuries.
Isn't O'Sullivan with Ireland 7s