2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: September 10th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:46 am 1. All our academy players are from the same small gene pool - widening that scope is always a positive thing
It’s hard to express just how weird a comment that is.
It's not remotely weird, in fact, it's something that Leo, Stu and Mick Dawson have all referenced as important - bringing in outside voices both in terms of coaching and playing considering most of our players come from less than 20 miles from the Aviva and the same mix of schools.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

still as a reason in itself it's not a good enough one to bring in a NIQ 2nd row.

Leinster rugby have worked for over a decade in order to have our own homegrown locks.. once fardy leaves theres not much case that a signing is needed there given talent at position.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:48 am Toner will be around the squad while the internationals are away along with Molony.

A signing to replace Fardy will not be needed.
Won't be sanctioned either given we've had Fardy for 4 years. At best we get a Triggs or an IQ journeyman.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If they don't put Porter back across to loosehead we might need a high standard NIQ loosehead within the next two years. For the moment, I'd like a second row to replace Fardy. Tuipulotu is fourth choice for the ABs, and a brilliant player/athlete.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:06 pm If they don't put Porter back across to loosehead we might need a high standard NIQ loosehead within the next two years. For the moment, I'd like a second row to replace Fardy. Tuipulotu is fourth choice for the ABs, and a brilliant player/athlete.
:lol: keep dreaming
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Why keep dreaming? You would have said the same thing about Munster getting Snyman and/or de Allende I'm sure. A bit of belief.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm Why keep dreaming? You would have said the same thing about Munster getting Snyman and/or de Allende I'm sure. A bit of belief.
We aren't Munster though.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ok... The usual excuse for dismissing people suggesting ambitious signings is money, but that's bs. I think we'll be allowed to have one high quality NIQ next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neiliog93 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:42 pm Ok... The usual excuse for dismissing people suggesting ambitious signings is money, but that's bs. I think we'll be allowed to have one high quality NIQ next season.
I really don’t. If it doesn’t happen Leinster will have zero NIQ players. I don’t remember that happening in the pro era. I think we’ll sign one if we need one, but we are on track not to need one.

Loosehead could be a position of need, so could lock.

We don’t know yet. It could end up being a bigger list of guys getting cut.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm Why keep dreaming? You would have said the same thing about Munster getting Snyman and/or de Allende I'm sure. A bit of belief.
it's just not a realistic signing.. how many all blacks have leinster ever signed?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

One?
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

He was even a lock haha

I agree with you Mildly, but oopsy
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 11th, 2020, 8:50 am
it's just not a realistic signing.. how many all blacks have leinster ever signed?
Eddie Hekenui and Clint Newland should have been All Blacks, do they count?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Were Snyman or de Allende realistic signings for Munster?..
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: September 11th, 2020, 5:36 pm Were Snyman or de Allende realistic signings for Munster?..
They're not all blacks either ?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah but Snyman is probably a better player than Tuipulotu, world cup winning lock, 207cm and athletic, a true freak.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: September 11th, 2020, 11:21 pm Yeah but Snyman is probably a better player than Tuipulotu, world cup winning lock, 207cm and athletic, a true freak.
Weird looking head though right? Almost Klingon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

we won't be signing any NIQ locks anytime soon due to the three locks in the background of this photo..

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 14th, 2020, 4:31 pm we won't be signing any NIQ locks anytime soon due to the three locks in the background of this photo..

How would you classify our Locks at the moment.
In simplistic terms.
Special aka Martin Johnson or James Ryan
Tight aka George Kruis
Loose aka Iain Henderson
Or 4, 5 if you prefer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dunne and CRyan i'd class as TH locks.
Baird as a hybrid LH Lock/Blinside.