Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by leinsterforever »

Thought Charlie Ryan would have been heavier than 108kg. Says in this article that he is (or was at that stage) 110kg https://www.the42.ie/charlie-ryan-irela ... 8-Mar2019/
To give himself the best possible chance of a berth, he has bulked up from 106 kilos to 110. But more important than the number on the scales, is the number of hours he has been putting in with physio Niall Kennedy to build strength through his core and his hips so that he can rack up more minutes on the field.

“I wasn’t given a contract this year. I got another crack at it in the sub-academy to physically develop. Personally, I felt a little bit behind. No one ever told me that. They never say it that bluntly. In fairness, they’re brilliant. They’ve just given me solutions.”

“David Fagan and Danny Wood and the boys in the sub-academy in the portacabin, I’ve just been putting in the hours there. I feel stronger and heavier, the main thing is I can get through 80 minutes without getting hurt.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

leinsterforever wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:29 pm Thought Charlie Ryan would have been heavier than 108kg. Says in this article that he is (or was at that stage) 110kg https://www.the42.ie/charlie-ryan-irela ... 8-Mar2019/
To give himself the best possible chance of a berth, he has bulked up from 106 kilos to 110. But more important than the number on the scales, is the number of hours he has been putting in with physio Niall Kennedy to build strength through his core and his hips so that he can rack up more minutes on the field.

“I wasn’t given a contract this year. I got another crack at it in the sub-academy to physically develop. Personally, I felt a little bit behind. No one ever told me that. They never say it that bluntly. In fairness, they’re brilliant. They’ve just given me solutions.”

“David Fagan and Danny Wood and the boys in the sub-academy in the portacabin, I’ve just been putting in the hours there. I feel stronger and heavier, the main thing is I can get through 80 minutes without getting hurt.
listed as 108kg in gameday programme from friday, but yeah you'd have thought so.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Good to see Marcus Kiely(13) and Jamie Osborne(15) playing for the home club(Naas) since finishing school, both start this weekend.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote: October 1st, 2020, 6:03 pm Prop
Temi Lasisi(Enniscorthy/Lansdowne)
Ben Griffin(Castleknock/DUFC)
Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock/UCD)
Ben Popplewell(Wexford/Lansdowne) - u19
Jack Boyle(St. Michaels/UCD) - u19
Aaron Rowan(Blackrock/???) - u19

Hooker
Lee Barron(St.Michaels/DUFC)
Ronan Loughnane(Roscrea/UCD)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure/Terenure)
Barry Gray(Carlow RFC/Clontarf) - u19

Lock
Joe McCarthy(Blackrock/DUFC)
Sean Walsh(Seapoint RFC/???) - u19
Mark Morrissey(Blackrock/UCD) - u19
Paul Deeny(Wexford RFC/Clontarf) - u19
Ruairi Clarke(Cill Dara/Lansdowne) - u19

Backrow
Alex Soroka(Belvedere/Clontarf)
Mark Boyle(Gorey RFC/Lansdowne)
Jack Barry(Gonzaga/Lansdowne)
Aaron Coleman(Belvedere/DUFC)
Jack Guinane(St.Michaels/DUFC)
Will Hickey(St. Michaels/UCD)
Conor Duffy(Tullow RFC/Clontarf) - u19

Scrumhalf
Ben Murphy(Pres Bray/Old Wesley)
Rob GIlsenan(St. Michaels/UCD)
Matt Cullen(Blackrock/???)
Will Reilly(Portloaise RFC/MU Barnhall)

Outhalf
Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC/UCD)
Justin Leonard(Belvedere/Old Belvedere)
Harry Colbert(Gonzaga/DUFC)
David Wilkinson(Clongowes/???)
Niall Carroll(St. Michaels/UCD)
Charlie Tector(Kilkenny/Lansdowne) - u19

Centre
Marcus Kiely(Newbridge/Naas)
Simon O'Kelly(St. Michaels/???)
Karl Martin(Boyne/Old Belvedere) - u19

Back Three
Josh O'Connor(Wexford RFC/UCD)
Jamie Osborne(Naas RFC/Naas)
Chris Cosgrave(St. Michaels/UCD)
Ed Kelly(St. Michaels/DUFC)
Jack Hanlon(Tullow RFC/Lansdowne) - u19
Shane Mallon(Roscrea/UCD) - u19
updated with known clubs..
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 12th, 2020, 10:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

18 year old sub-academy outhalf Charlie Tector on the bench for Lansdowne today, Mark Boyle starts at 7.

No sign of Mark Hernan for Lansdowne yet so far this season.
Longtimelurker
Beginner

Post by Longtimelurker »

Jack Boyle UCD
Lee Barron DUFC
Will Hickey UCD
Jack Guinane DUFC
Ed Kelly DUFC
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Longtimelurker wrote: October 10th, 2020, 2:11 pm Jack Boyle UCD
Lee Barron DUFC
Will Hickey UCD
Jack Guinane DUFC
Ed Kelly DUFC
:clap:
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Shane Mallon UCD
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ben Murphy and Sam Illo scored a try each yesterday for Old Wesley.

Charlie Tector scored 2 pens for Lansdowne.

Jamie Osborne ended up not playing for Naas.

Levi Vaughan scored a try for Nure.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sub-academy outhalf, Tim Corkery:

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

The first of three national Sevens tournaments over the coming weeks is set to be played in Dublin on Saturday, as Ireland will go head-to-head against Munster, Connacht and Ulster.

Due to a raft of injuries, as well as a host international call-ups, Leinster, who were due to take part, have opted to drop out.

With two further events lined up for October 31 and November 7, it is hoped that Leinster will be able to rejoin and further boost the tournament, which has been designed to give players some much-needed game time.

The tournament, which is to be called the 'IRFU Academy 7s', is hoped to become an annual event.

Anthony Eddy, Ireland's director of sevens rugby, will have a strong squad to pick from this weekend with the likes of Jordan Conroy, Billy Dardis and Terry Kennedy all in line to feature.

IRFU performance director David Nucifora is also set to be in attendance.

The provinces are largely expected to use their Academy players, although some senior guys will also be involved.

Munster head coach Johann van Graan has already revealed that several of his senior players will be included.

It is understood that the provinces have been working with the Ireland sevens management in terms of preparing their teams for the rigorous demands of the shorter code.

The games will all take place on Saturday, with the four teams to play each other once.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 24216.html
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

IRFU Academy 7s Squads:
Ireland: Aaron O’Sullivan, Ian Fitzpatrick, Gavin Mullin, Peter Maher, Jack Kelly, Mark Roche, Billy Dardis, Hugo Lennox, Terry Kennedy, Duran Krummeck, Steven Kilgallon, Jordan Conroy, Eanna Madden.

Connacht: Cathal Forde(U20), Shane Jennings(U20), Oran McNulty, Sean O’Brien, Diarmuid Kilgallen, Donnacha Byrne(U20), Hubert Costello(U20), Declan Adamson, Dylan Tierney, Oisin McCormack(U20), Joshua Dunne.

Munster: Eoghan Clarke, Scott Buckley, Jack Daly, Jack Crowley, Jake Flannery, Jonathan Wren, Sean French, Jack O’Sullivan, Alex McHenry, Liam Coombes, Calvin Nash, Matt Gallagher.

Ulster: Azur Allison, Ben Carson(U19), Lewis Finlay, Hayden Hyde, Bruce Houston, Cormac Izuchukwu, Greg Jones, Conor Rankin(U20), Marcus Rea, Aaron Sexton, David Shanahan.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote: October 15th, 2020, 2:08 pm IRFU Academy 7s Squads:
Ireland: Aaron O’Sullivan, Ian Fitzpatrick, Gavin Mullin, Peter Maher, Jack Kelly, Mark Roche, Billy Dardis, Hugo Lennox, Terry Kennedy, Duran Krummeck, Steven Kilgallon, Jordan Conroy, Eanna Madden.

Connacht: Cathal Forde(U20), Shane Jennings(U20), Oran McNulty, Sean O’Brien, Diarmuid Kilgallen, Donnacha Byrne(U20), Hubert Costello(U20), Declan Adamson, Dylan Tierney, Oisin McCormack(U20), Joshua Dunne.

Munster: Eoghan Clarke, Scott Buckley, Jack Daly, Jack Crowley, Jake Flannery, Jonathan Wren, Sean French, Jack O’Sullivan, Alex McHenry, Liam Coombes, Calvin Nash, Matt Gallagher.

Ulster: Azur Allison, Ben Carson(U19), Lewis Finlay, Hayden Hyde, Bruce Houston, Cormac Izuchukwu, Greg Jones, Conor Rankin(U20), Marcus Rea, Aaron Sexton, David Shanahan.
So that explains where O'Sullivan has been.

Former Leinster academy players in Irish 7's squad: Jack Kelly, Gavin Mullin, Ian Fitzpatrick, Terry Kennedy, Billy Dardis.
RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

Is that the Steven Kilgallon who was in the same year in Blackrock as Doris, T O’Brien etc?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

RugbyRugby2019 wrote: October 15th, 2020, 2:18 pm Is that the Steven Kilgallon who was in the same year in Blackrock as Doris, T O’Brien etc?
yep
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Following clarification from the Government of Ireland & the Northern Ireland Executive we can confirm that the Energia Community Series is suspended in all 4 provinces until further notice.
Longtimelurker
Beginner

Post by Longtimelurker »

Games cancelled but you can still go to the bookies and have pints and grub outside. Probably won't see games back this side of Christmas? Feel sorry for the young lads. Prob be no new sub academy entrants and no Irish under 20s either.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I wonder if sub-academy players will be used in the 7's games later in the month, if they go ahead.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm I wonder if sub-academy players will be used in the 7's games later in the month, if they go ahead.
Hopefully but it seems like they want to keep the contracted players in a bubble for the moment
Longtimelurker
Beginner

Post by Longtimelurker »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm I wonder if sub-academy players will be used in the 7's games later in the month, if they go ahead.
Could happen. But not much use to the big lads up the front 😂