Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by Pilotman123 »

joooooe wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:26 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 13th, 2020, 8:30 am Moving on...
No no no, I want to hear about the past pupils of private schools paying for testing that could otherwise go to the proles like nurses and teachers and Gardaí. God forbid that a non-fee-paying school might be able to put out a rugby team. Do Sections A and B of the Cup get played or are they ignored? How are travel restrictions dealt with (bearing in mind two schools from Kildare were due to play the final this year). The Leinster and all Ireland schools gaelic football and hurling finals attract larger crowds than their rugby equivalent - taking that as a proxy for public interest should they be allowed to be played, or does the dearth of school fees in (most, not all) of the participating schools undermine my argument? How about the FAI Junior Cup? You think you knew pressure as a 6th year wanting to play seniors? Try being a kid trying to get a move to an English professional football club. Should rugby and other sports be allowed at third level institutions?

By participating numbers, rugby is the TENTH most popular sport in Ireland. It is very hard to frame an argument for it to be prioritised over other sports...and yet it is being played at professional level. The hard work, planning and expense of even getting (and keeping) that going is incredible.

Don't stop with mere letter writing to TDs btw. This should be discussed at Cabinet and you could get the President to intervene.

I'm not sure our aviator contributor appreciates how ludicrous his argument sounds. Hence my comment above: "Amazing". As in, I am amazed someone is even thinking along these lines.

P.S. I was on the senior panel in school many years ago and got concussed in training the week before the cup. My school lost in the first round. Do you know what? I got on with sitting my mocks, like any normal-thinking 17 year old would have done.
That’s why your school got knocked out in the first round because they were more focused on Mocks.I was just saying it could happen with all the money the private schools have but it won’t be able to work because then I’d suppose you’d have to try and do it with every other sport that wouldn’t have the money so it’d be unfair to only have private schools participate in sport.
Moving on..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:09 pm
joooooe wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:26 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 13th, 2020, 8:30 am Moving on...
No no no, I want to hear about the past pupils of private schools paying for testing that could otherwise go to the proles like nurses and teachers and Gardaí. God forbid that a non-fee-paying school might be able to put out a rugby team. Do Sections A and B of the Cup get played or are they ignored? How are travel restrictions dealt with (bearing in mind two schools from Kildare were due to play the final this year). The Leinster and all Ireland schools gaelic football and hurling finals attract larger crowds than their rugby equivalent - taking that as a proxy for public interest should they be allowed to be played, or does the dearth of school fees in (most, not all) of the participating schools undermine my argument? How about the FAI Junior Cup? You think you knew pressure as a 6th year wanting to play seniors? Try being a kid trying to get a move to an English professional football club. Should rugby and other sports be allowed at third level institutions?

By participating numbers, rugby is the TENTH most popular sport in Ireland. It is very hard to frame an argument for it to be prioritised over other sports...and yet it is being played at professional level. The hard work, planning and expense of even getting (and keeping) that going is incredible.

Don't stop with mere letter writing to TDs btw. This should be discussed at Cabinet and you could get the President to intervene.

I'm not sure our aviator contributor appreciates how ludicrous his argument sounds. Hence my comment above: "Amazing". As in, I am amazed someone is even thinking along these lines.

P.S. I was on the senior panel in school many years ago and got concussed in training the week before the cup. My school lost in the first round. Do you know what? I got on with sitting my mocks, like any normal-thinking 17 year old would have done.
That’s why your school got knocked out in the first round because they were more focused on Mocks.I was just saying it could happen with all the money the private schools have but it won’t be able to work because then I’d suppose you’d have to try and do it with every other sport that wouldn’t have the money so it’d be unfair to only have private schools participate in sport.
Moving on..
:lol:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"Moving on..." - a wise decision, methinks. LMFAO!!!!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:49 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm Mcbride mentioned props in the academy who haven’t been involved to date will be getting the involved with senior training this week. To me looks like all the academy props have played, do you reckon he’s talking about some guys in the sub academy and any idea who he might be talking about?
Marcus Hanan(U21), Hugo O'Malley(U20) and Jack Boyle(U19) at loose.

Over at tight, possibly Bobby Sheehan(U21), Ben Griffin(U20) or Sam Illo(U20).
You reckon any of them could sneak a cap off the bench? Wonder how they got in with their mocks :wink:
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm Mcbride mentioned props in the academy who haven’t been involved to date will be getting the involved with senior training this week. To me looks like all the academy props have played, do you reckon he’s talking about some guys in the sub academy and any idea who he might be talking about?

You reckon any of them could sneak a cap off the bench? Wonder how they got on with their mocks :wink:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm

You reckon any of them could sneak a cap off the bench? Wonder how they got in with their mocks :wink:
No can't see it unless there is an injury crisis.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 12th, 2020, 10:41 pmquote=erskinechilders post_id=768865 time=1605216905 user_id=7525]
All the money from the fees could easily pay for the testing and if not some multi millionaire past pupil of each school will probably donate the money. But the fees would pay for it anyway so that shouldn’t be a problem about money.
2nd of all, schools rugby is the feeder for the Leinster academy unlike other sports in Ireland schools rugby is the feeder conveyor belt for Leinster’s success and when I was in school my whole life purpose was to play senior cup it was the biggest thing ever, it’s something you dream about as a kid and for most sixth years it’s a once in a life opportunity. I do think Junior Cup should go ahead as most people only get one shot at that too but not 1st or 2nd year rugby because nobody cares about that. Senior Cup is the most important thing in school just as much as the leaving cert for the players.If you went to a private school and played schools cup you’d understand how much it means to these players. Also how would they pick sub academy? A lot can change from u18s and players who weren’t in the u18 squad now don’t have a chance to make the sub academy which therefore we could be losing out on talent.
I just think it’s a bit inconsistent when you can go see all your mates in school but can’t get tested and play games against other schools because they have the money. Money isn’t an issue here it’s just the inconsistent logic from the government when you’re in a school of 700-1000 but can’t have 23 players who get tested to play a match against each other? Bit ridiculous if you ask me
Last thing I'll say on the matter. Not all rugby playing schools in the senior cup are private schools. Money most certainly is an issue. Basically what you want is 10 schools to get to play sports in Leinster, Pres and CBC play each other in Munster and thats it. Talk about private school privilege. Your silver spoon has gone a bit too far here.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I believe De la Salle Churchtown are the only non fee paying school to have won the Leinster Senior Cup. Twice I think.

Apparently the Castleknock parents said their bins weren’t collected the next week because DLS were still celebrating. It’s nice that tradition of snobbery is still alive and well amongst some on here...
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on November 14th, 2020, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

There are a few public schools who compete / have made appearances in the senior cup these days such as Pres Bray ( Division 1A ) and then Templecarrig & St Fintans in Division 1B of the league.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Plenty of non private school players coming thru system:

1. Marcus Hanan - Clane RFC
2. Barry Gray - Carlow RFC
3. Ben Popplewell - Wexford RFC
4. Brian Deeny - Wexford RFC
5. Sean Walsh - Seapoint RFC
6. Paul Deeny - Wexford RFC
7. Martin Moloney - Athy RFC
8. Conor Duffy - Tullow RFC
9. Will Reilly - Portlaoise RFC
10. Tim Corkery - Kilkenny RFC
11. Jack Hanlon - Tullow RFC
12. Karl Martin - Boyne RFC
13. Aitzol King - Balbriggan RFC
14. Josh O'Connor - Wexford RFC
15. Jamie Osborne - Naas RFC
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

mildlyinterested wrote: November 14th, 2020, 9:07 am Plenty of non private school players coming thru system:

Any of them work on the bins?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:17 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 14th, 2020, 9:07 am Plenty of non private school players coming thru system:

Any of them work on the bins?
Just hope their fees can pay for the weekly COVID tests Piltoman/br8 suggests
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 15th, 2020, 1:35 amJust hope their fees can pay for the weekly COVID tests Piltoman/br8 suggests
For the record...again...I am not Pilotman. I think most contributors here have figured that out. Others probably see it as a way of winding the Pilot and myself up. At worst it is mildly irritating.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:12 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 15th, 2020, 1:35 amJust hope their fees can pay for the weekly COVID tests Piltoman/br8 suggests
For the record...again...I am not Pilotman. I think most contributors here have figured that out. Others probably see it as a way of winding the Pilot and myself up. At worst it is mildly irritating.
Much like Zig and Captain Pillowcase you have never been witnessed in the same place at the same time...
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Complaining about it and letting people know it’s irritating you won’t make the bullies stop. Either play it cool or tell the teacher. Schoolyard politics 101
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 16th, 2020, 9:27 am
Complaining about it and letting people know it’s irritating you won’t make the bullies stop. Either play it cool or tell the teacher. Schoolyard politics 101
I am deeply indebted for your wise counsel and that of Children’s TV aficionados. I think Teacher knows there are different individuals involved. It is up to teacher to decide how he/she wishes to manage their school yard.

I choose to state my actual status rather than let it go unchallenged. I make the point for the majority who aren’t arsed but for whom there might be a bit of confusion creeping in.

As I said, it’s a mild irritant on an eye roll level. I don’t expect any change in behaviour from the ladz. We will all drive on with our agendas regardless.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:52 pm
Much like Zig and Captain Pillowcase you have never been witnessed in the same place at the same time...
That is an ecumenical matter of another order altogether. I say the same about Conor Lenihan and Mary O’Rourke. An Irish version of Psycho based on that relationship would do at least as well as Wild Mountain Thyme imho.
Serb
Mullet

Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by Serb »

I don’t think anyone actually thinks there are people assuming multiple personas on this forum, they’re just looking for a rise out of some of the more controversial posters.

It’s pretty tiresome and makes me far less enthused to read and post on this forum.

It’s really on the mods to shut that down and keep threads on topic. This isn’t necessary a criticism of the mods. Having been a moderator elsewhere, I know this can feel like a full time job as the board gets busy.

Maybe we can appoint more mods or have a gentleman’s agreement to stop bringing discussions off track like this? Use the ignore list if you have to.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Lots more who did a couple of years in Private schools - Milne and Mallon to mention 2.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Serb wrote: November 16th, 2020, 11:50 am I don’t think anyone actually thinks there are people assuming multiple personas on this forum, they’re just looking for a rise out of some of the more controversial posters.

It’s pretty tiresome and makes me far less enthused to read and post on this forum.

It’s really on the mods to shut that down and keep threads on topic. This isn’t necessary a criticism of the mods. Having been a moderator elsewhere, I know this can feel like a full time job as the board gets busy.

Maybe we can appoint more mods or have a gentleman’s agreement to stop bringing discussions off track like this? Use the ignore list if you have to.
You’re too late to the conversation we’ve moved on from this topic ages ago stop bringing it up, moving on...