Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote: November 27th, 2020, 11:11 am
mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:24 am Interesting that Jamie Osborne has been brought in to train with seniors ahead of Cosgrave and other outside backs.

I take it you're surprised at that MI?

You wouldn't see him as a special talent or anything no?
Not overly surprising, as he is certainly a talent.. I think many would have had Cosgrave ahead of him though probably due to him being more exposed via schools rugby so it's interesting Osborne has gotten ahead of the schools star in the pecking order.

Personally I've thought Osborne looked the better bet for awhile given his size and athletic profile, exciting to see him progress so quickly though and maybe he could turn out to be a special talent. It's great to see an outside back from a non-schools background pushing through, the more of that the better.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 11:23 am
mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:24 am Interesting that Jamie Osborne has been brought in to train with seniors ahead of Cosgrave and other outside backs.

Not overly surprising, as he is certainly a talent.. I think many would have had Cosgrave ahead of him though probably due to him being more exposed via schools rugby so it's interesting Osborne has gotten ahead of the schools star in the pecking order.

Personally I've thought Osborne looked the better bet for awhile given his size and athletic profile, exciting to see him progress so quickly though and maybe he could turn out to be a special talent. It's great to see an outside back from a non-schools background pushing through, the more of that the better.
Good to know! Thanks for the insight, as always MI
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Given the exposure he's getting and how comfortable he has looked starting for Connacht Jack Aungier looks much more like'the one who got away' than Salanoa.

Was that a Leinster Management mis-judgement?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:34 pm Given the exposure he's getting and how comfortable he has looked starting for Connacht Jack Aungier looks much more like'the one who got away' than Salanoa.

Yeah difficult to say, Aungier didn't really show that promise in his 3 seasons in the academy did he?
Maybe a move west and a kick up the hole is what he needed? You couldn't rule out him pulling a Kelleher in the future either could you?

Leinster should have known who Salanoa was associated with and that the powers that be would try to get him out of dublin if given the chance and backed the local player, but Aungier didn't exactly make it a difficult decision based on his time in the academy.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:34 pm Given the exposure he's getting and how comfortable he has looked starting for Connacht Jack Aungier looks much more like'the one who got away' than Salanoa.

Surely there is always an option there to resign Aungier?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote: November 27th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Is there? How?
I have Bumbleflex
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 11:23 am

I've definitely seen more of Cosgrave and think he's the most skilled player in that age group but I'd imagine Osborne's athletic profile has him seen as more physically ready for senior training as of now
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:46 pm Leinster should have known who Salanoa was associated with and that the powers that be would try to get him out of dublin if given the chance academy.
But he went to Munster, not Connacht
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 27th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Is there? How?
By offering him a contract...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Is there? How?
How did Cian Kelleher sign with leinster?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: November 27th, 2020, 4:40 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:46 pm Leinster should have known who Salanoa was associated with and that the powers that be would try to get him out of dublin if given the chance academy.
That's hardly a surprise given who he is associated with..
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 5:22 pm
Given that he is associated with is a Moylough resident who coached and played for Moylough in GAA and Rugby and coached Moniva, Buccaneers, Connacht, Galway GAA, and rarely ever had a good word to say about Munster nor they about him, then surely it was a massive surprise.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Is there? How?
By being out of contract after not being offered/accepting a new one. When is Aungier out of contract with connacht?
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: November 27th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Given that he is associated with is a Moylough resident who coached and played for Moylough in GAA and Rugby and coached Moniva, Buccaneers, Connacht, Galway GAA, and rarely ever had a good word to say about Munster nor they about him, then surely it was a massive surprise.
Wes Liddy sure sounds like a Munster fan whenever I've heard him speak. But maybe not..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: November 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Is there? How?
By being out of contract after not being offered/accepting a new one. When is Aungier out of contract with connacht?
So your saying it is possible Aungier returns to Leinster just like Cian Kelleher did.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I never said it wasn't. I was asking if we had an option on him
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Wes Liddy sure sounds like a Munster fan whenever I've heard him speak. But maybe not..
The Sunday Game guy? I have no idea. But being a fan of a team and representing a player in a professional capacity have absolutely nothing to do with each other - if that was the case half the Premier League would be playing for Vitoria Guimares

But, if I were representing Salanoa in a professional capacity I'd have gotten him out of Leinster as soon as possible. In fact, if I were representing Salanoa in a professional capacity it would be professionally negligent not to do so, no matter what team I supported. Any agent in the rugby world would have advised him to move with the two current and a third Irish international in front of him.

Both Aungier and Salanoa, in and of themselves, were right to move. They had three internationals in front of them and a peer of similar profile beside them. The mistake each made was that they both blinked first, afraid that they'd lose out to the other in Leinster and that the other wasn't going to move, or was going to move to each ones potential destination.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"... they both blinked first"? You may well be correct, Dave, but that's not the impression I got. My understanding on the basis of all various statements was Leinster let Jack go down to Connacht due to the assumption Salanoa was staying with us. The latter then unexpectedly jumping ship and heading south was the source of annoyance to Leo et al, cos if they had known that was going to happen, then in all likelihood they would have encouraged Jack to hang on where he was.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 27th, 2020, 7:41 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 27th, 2020, 7:17 pm

The Sunday Game guy? I have no idea. But being a fan of a team and representing a player in a professional capacity have absolutely nothing to do with each other - if that was the case half the Premier League would be playing for Vitoria Guimares

But, if I were representing Salanoa in a professional capacity I'd have gotten him out of Leinster as soon as possible. In fact, if I were representing Salanoa in a professional capacity it would be professionally negligent not to do so, no matter what team I supported. Any agent in the rugby world would have advised him to move with the two current and a third Irish international in front of him.

Both Aungier and Salanoa, in and of themselves, were right to move. They had three internationals in front of them and a peer of similar profile beside them. The mistake each made was that they both blinked first, afraid that they'd lose out to the other in Leinster and that the other wasn't going to move, or was going to move to each ones potential destination.
Aungier was right to go at the time, there is no doubt about that. But Bent is 34, Furlong and Porter are always going to be away for large chunks of the season with Ireland as opposed to Ryan and Archer (irish internationals) who are available for Munster all season, provided Furlong isn't injured. That's not to mention Knox, who is further on in his development than Salanoa you'd imagine. That is some bad agency work and that is without even looking at the respective records for bringing through academy players. If Leo is saying that he was shocked that Salanoa left, then it's pretty safe to assume that he would have happily stayed.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:28 pm Aungier was right to go at the time, there is no doubt about that.
Why was Aungier right to go but Salanoa wrong? They're both at the exact same point in their careers. Could it be that one went to Munster and one didn't?

Somehow I doubt Stephen Archer will be a barrier to anyone, young player or opposition loosehead alike
I have Bumbleflex