Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:08 pm a close win with a 50/50 side in 12 days would be lovely, with a convincing win the semi to follow please. :mullet 1:
If it comes to that, I'd take even a close loss in 12 days with a 50/50 side and convincing win in the semi's :D

Don't want to be greedy :wink:
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

From my point of view a strong Munster team is nothing but a good thing for leinster - if they are not pushing us and us not pushing them our quality and drive to improve would stop. Let’s be honest the quality of opposition from the other PRO14 countries is lacking and I’m delighted to see a much stronger ulster as well. Keeps us on our toes and I’d much prefer to be nervous about our upcoming games than think they will be a walk in the park
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Henderson out for ten weeks with an injured hip. His unavailability on the 29th will, I imagine, influence the selection for the Munster match. Judging by Lancaster's words in the IT, it sounds like we're gonna go locked and loaded vs the Southern brethren:

“It’s critical [Leinster hit the ground running],” said Lancaster. “If you go through the timeline, we go: Munster, massive interpro game and they need to beat us because they want a home semi-final, then Ulster who are flying at the moment and made some great recruitment as have Munster.

“Then we’ve got a Pro 14 semi-final, we need to win that in order to get to a Pro 14 final. If we manage to win those games, then you’ve got to follow a Pro 14 final with a European Cup quarter-final against Saracens and a week after that you’ve to play a European Cup semi-final against Clermont or Racing. So, it’s a pretty unique scenario where you have to peak right at the start of the season and deliver and win.

“The closest comparison I can make is that it’s a bit like a World Cup in that you’ve got to win your pool games, then you’ve got to win a quarter and semi-final. The difference is this time you’ve to do it without any warm-up games.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4326858
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He’s not going to call it a preseason run about. The IRFU would end him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Clearly without any indicators from training and no warm-up games, it's impossible to make any judgement calls on our selection for the Munster game or the Ulster game - the following two games are opposition unknown until the Conference outcomes are finalised. So my comments below are based on assessment of experience and decisions to retain / elevate players within our Squad.

Robert Kearney and Fergus McFadden both have superb back stories against Munster. Competitive, experienced and knowledgible about their opponents, team-wise and individually. I would select both to start against Munster in Aviva next week.

I want our front five against Munster to be ultra-competitive at scrum time. So, lacking any insight as to how McBryde has assessed our hookers, I believe that the motivation which this fixture gives Cronin offers the best reason for his selection. Healy, Cronin, Furlong against Kilcoyne, Scannell & Ryan would suit me perfectly.

Kleyn & Snyman opposite Fardy & Toner is a truly international match-up which I would hope we'll shade at line-outs although we may concede effect at scrums & maul.

A mid-field trio of Sexton, Henshaw and Ringrose opposing Hanrahan, De Allende and Farrell looks sure to provide collisions aplenty but I'd be confident that our three have more guile than those they'd face.

Which brings us to the compositions of the back three and the back-row and, of course, the supplementaries as the French have taken to calling those noble occupants of the bench. My choice of backrow would include Conan and Doris with Connors wearing the No 7 shirt. The quality of aggressive tackling is what gets Connors my nod ahead of JVdF whilst Doris edges Ruddock because of his evasive and effective carrying which I believe will be required against Munster. Little to choose between all the candidates and competition must be fierce.

My back three would be Robert K, Ferg and James Lowe. Competence, confidence and courage personified. Yes, there may be pressure to include Larmour, Kelleher or Dave Kearney but my selections are the ideal choices for this encounter.

McGrath is our scrum-half and no doubt he has been studying the styles of his NZ counterparts over the past six weeks. A PJ Perenara performance would do me just fine from our No. 9.

A bench selection of:
16. Kelleher, 17. Dooley, 18. Porter, 19. Molony, 20. Leavy, 21. JGP, 22. Ross Byrne and 23. Kearney D

would emphasise our strength and depth and provide plenty of opportunities to change our style if necessary.

Generating and retaining the appetite for excellence has been one of the biggest challenges for Leo and his coaches. The first two games will give possibly 30 - 35 of the Squad their chances to mark his copybook appropriately
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Are (any of) the law trials for Covid-19 Tranmission risk mitigation in place for the game?
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 11th, 2020, 2:59 pm Are (any of) the law trials for Covid-19 Tranmission risk mitigation in place for the game?
Here's the link to Pro14 Media Guide

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... jhnIJ1RffP_

'...played in accordance with World Rugby Laws and interpretation...'

Not 100% sure what that means but it could mean Referees have been briefed to repeat the NZ Competition interpretations re:
1. Lines of entry to breakdown;
2. Body movement post-tackle;
3. Clear evidence of on-side rather than 'not off-side';
4. No support by hands prior to poaching ball.

The first three weekends of Aloatoa Rugby produced twice the average penalty count of all NZ. Super Rugby games of last Season. The following 5 weekends had marginally higher counts but lots of open rugby and less scrum re-sets.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster Rugby have been assisting an Academy player within the wider training squad who has tested positive for Covid-19.
As a precautionary measure the squad and Academy did not train today at the HPC and Thomond Park.

The individual immediately self-isolated on development of symptoms on Sunday.

The HSE have been contacted and the contact tracing process has commenced.

In taking all precautions, Munster Rugby have immediately identified five Academy players and one senior player as potential close contacts from social and household settings and the six players have already commenced self-isolating.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Worrying stuff, hope all are OK
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

I wouldn't say it looks too worrying yet. I mean we know that cases are still prevalent throughout the country. So one (confirmed) case among a particular group such as Munster Rugby wouldn't be too shocking.
Very positive that proper protocols are appearing to be followed and that Munster Rugby; are taking it seriously; both for their own benefit and as an example to others. Hopefully this will help it be contained and not spread either within the rugby set-up or the wider community.

Obviously hope that the player will be ok and come through and hopefully won't be impacting any close ones or relatives who may be at a higher risk.
annesley blue fan
Beginner

Post by annesley blue fan »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but has any one any info on what stations will be providing the TV coverage
C'mon you freaks! The foam's coming! The foam's coming!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

eirsport I believe
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

i believe there's delayed coverage on tg4 on the night also
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I think I'd like to see a small element of mix and match for the Interpros before, hopefully, 5 knockout games.

1-23 vs Munster: Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Moloney, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, CO'B, Ringrose, Dave K, Keenan, Kelleher, Healy, Porter, Baird, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour

1-23 vs Ulster: Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Baird, Dorris, Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour, Henshaw, TO'B, McFadden, Rob K, Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Toner, Leavy, JGP, Frawley, Kelleher

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If this game takes the same shape as the Prem games this weekend, there'll be a lot of mistakes, lots of set-pieces and it will be very tight. That would be a similar game style to many of these derbies over the last decade.

There were also a lot of very tired men coming off around 50-60 so a bench with speed and impact will be important for us. This is one area we have a clear advantage over Munster.

I think we'll mix and match between this and Ulster, and would go for a very similar team to Hugo above.

Albeit I'd start Tracy at hooker and bring on Cronin when things open up a bit. JT was having a really good season before things stopped and might be a bit more solid in the scrum than Cronin.

Would also start Luke M as I don't think we'll be getting much quick ball and he's a slightly better player in a tight game than JGP imo.

Finally I'd start RK at 15. I think there'll be a good bit of kicking and not much fluency in attack from either side. RK might suit this style of game a bit better.

Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Toner, Molony, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, COB, Ringrose, DK, RK
Healy, Cronin, Porter, Baird, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Larmour

Then for Ulster something like:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Baird, Murphy, Leavy, Doris, JGP, Byrne, Kelleher, Henshaw, ROL, Ferg, Larmour
Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Deegan, McGrath, Frawley, Keenan
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I agree Wixfjord. Don't think it will be a classic.

Gearzbox2 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:33 pm I’d 100% agree with sentiments on here relating to the “suspect” funding and where Munster are getting it for some of these players
A few things bug me big time on this front
1. munster are in serious debt with a stadium deficit budget and poor crowds to go along with it

2. How they still managed to get the irfu to sign off on these 2 signings especially when they were stacked with centres

3. Ive heard on the grape vine that Leinster were due to sign a utility back from Clermont (Toeava) I think was the guy which was then cut because of Covid due to finance which seems to be ridiculous considering Munster just got 2 500k plus a year players

On the match front, I think it’s comical that some people think Munster will have a change of the guard ala Croker 2009...we’ll probably go 50/50 starters for first 2 games, we’re already qualified and realistically using these as warm ups for a semi final

The spending continues. ;) Munster have planning permission to build an indoor pitch next to musgrave so it looks like that's going ahead. There was a 200% rise in income from musgrave Park since the new surface was laid and the new indoor pitch will be rented out to the public also. The increase is down to summer concerts and more use of the stadium like ireland U20s etc. Munster have also been selling the 10 year tickets and held commercial dinners abroad etc.

The 2 new signings are apparently being paid by private money and were signed before covid hit.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

You’d wonder how long Munsters reliance on foreign players is sustainable. If you look at their match day 23 who is the young top talent they’re getting through. I reckon if they don’t win a trophy in the next 2 years they’ll be in big trouble
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the irfu can't afford to let munster get into big trouble.. and in fairness to them they have a good group of young players filtering through the system.. they need to be backed and trusted.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

bluemagic wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:54 am You’d wonder how long Munsters reliance on foreign players is sustainable. If you look at their match day 23 who is the young top talent they’re getting through. I reckon if they don’t win a trophy in the next 2 years they’ll be in big trouble
Munster’s current model of player salary is probably as Financially sustainable as any with the exception of Leinster, who are close to self sustaining, and are massively subsidised through central contracts.

Of the for foreign players that Munster have on their books, CJ is centrally contracted, the 2 World Cup winners are also free as they are paid by private money, the rest are likely to be on fairly low salaries (I personally don’t know the figures) as most of them were project players.
You could argue that Munster saved money on signing foreign project players, as they didn’t have to invest money in them during their early careers.

Munster have also significantly reduced their player numbers by about 8 senior contracted players, as well as stream lining the academy, which surely brought about large savings.

It would be interesting to compare the salaries of the four provinces to see how the stack up.

Of course, there are issues outside of the financial impact, but that is a separate conversation.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
bluemagic wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:54 am You’d wonder how long Munsters reliance on foreign players is sustainable. If you look at their match day 23 who is the young top talent they’re getting through. I reckon if they don’t win a trophy in the next 2 years they’ll be in big trouble
Munster’s current model of player salary is probably as Financially sustainable as any with the exception of Leinster, who are close to self sustaining, and are massively subsidised through central contracts.

Of the for foreign players that Munster have on their books, CJ is centrally contracted, the 2 World Cup winners are also free as they are paid by private money, the rest are likely to be on fairly low salaries (I personally don’t know the figures) as most of them were project players.
You could argue that Munster saved money on signing foreign project players, as they didn’t have to invest money in them during their early careers.

Munster have also significantly reduced their player numbers by about 8 senior contracted players, as well as stream lining the academy, which surely brought about large savings.

It would be interesting to compare the salaries of the four provinces to see how the stack up.

Of course, there are issues outside of the financial impact, but that is a separate conversation.
"FREE"
The most abused word in the English language.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.