Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Looking at the Munster team I expect them to use their backs to run hard a lot without much subtlety. DDA, Farrell, and Daly are all very capable of using their hands but they also like to run directly and there isn't much creativity on the wings either, very much more about running at space than creating it. A lot of great chasers for Murray to kick for too which would be good prep for Saracens.

If you take Snyman out of that pack there isn't a whole lot to fear really, it'll be interesting to see how we target him.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 21st, 2020, 12:25 pm Looking at the Munster team I expect them to use their backs to run hard a lot without much subtlety. DDA, Farrell, and Daly are all very capable of using their hands but they also like to run directly and there isn't much creativity on the wings either, very much more about running at space than creating it. A lot of great chasers for Murray to kick for too which would be good prep for Saracens.

If you take Snyman out of that pack there isn't a whole lot to fear really, it'll be interesting to see how we target him.
The old Kilkenny tactic?...... Hit him with a hurly in the tunnel :D
roarlad
Learner

Post by roarlad »

6-2 bench really highlights the strange return to action protocols under IRB/Pro 14.
With high attrition rate in soccer, we've seen sub numbers increase from 3 to 5, and water breaks every ~20 mins.

Yet in rugby, we're persisting with an 8 man bench, surely scope here to increase akin to pre-season and go 25-28 man squads for the day as teams ramp back up again.

As others have said, 2 back subs is very high risk, when the back-line isn't exactly bulletproof..
McGrath (knee), Sexton (knee/calf), Henshaw (hamstring), Ringrose (hand), Larmour (foot), Lowe (late returning to training after quarantine from NZ)

Hopefully the Lansdowne Road pitch holds up and has adequately drained so as not to exacerbate the situation..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leo Cullen says Tadhg Furlong was due to be involved but tweaked his back during the week.

Hopeful he will be back in the mix for Ulster game next weekend.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Cullen references the Springboks and England in explaining that Leinster were keen to give a 6/2 bench a go.

Opportunity to refresh the bulk of the pack is obvious the key.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Some interesting selections on both sides

Very hard to look beyond the level of carriers in the Leinster pack. A lot falling on rg and cj shoulders.

Kelleher v scannell will be interesting. Kelleher looked to be nailing down rorys spot prelockdown but scannell Will be keen to put Himself back in the mix.
Doris and Conan in a real fight for 6 nations spots with pom and cj.

Really looking forward to daly at 15. Big strong fast lad. Good boot. Will watch him a lot in terms of positioning
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Interesting that Stockdale is at 15 for Ulster. I'm certainly not giving up on him as a winger but I do think he should play more at fullback and this could give Lowe a clearer run to the Ireland jersey over the next couple month.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

After an almost six-month break since their last game at home to Glasgow at the end of February, Leinster are back in action tomorrow evening.

The Covid-19 lockdown has been tough on everyone and our sympathies go out to everyone in the rugby community who's been ill or has lost a loved one. Sport has brought some relief to the tedium of the lockdown and while rugby has long since resumed in the southern hemisphere, now Leinster fans have some meaningful rugby to watch tomorrow evening.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Clearly, he is a young player with a big future and his Leinster boss, Leo Cullen, is looking forward to seeing how 6ft 6ins Baird – who added several kgs of muscle mass to his frame during lockdown – does on the big stage tomorrow.

“It’s about trying to put him into the game and seeing how he copes with the demands,” said Cullen this afternoon.

“I thought he was making really steady progress before we broke up and he’s got himself in really good shape, stayed in very good shape over the course of the break.

“People have seen different glimpses of his athletic ability so it’s just about how he pulls it all together. With him and Fards [Scott Fardy], the average age is a bit more normal between the two of them so it’s a good mix of experience and youth. We’ll see how it goes and we have Dev [Toner] on the bench, which gives us a lot of security as well for later in the game.

“Ryan has trained well over the course of this lockdown period and he deserves his opportunity.”
Wanderers FC
Beginner

Post by Wanderers FC »

Looking forward to seeing Baird V Snyman. There’s no real place to hide and if he holds his own he could in one game jump Toner and Molony in the pecking order. I’ll be watching to see his lineout ability against a good Munster lineout and whether he can withstand the physicality and intensity that Munster bring.

As someone alluded to earlier disappointed not to see Frawley versatility used on the bench which might come back to bite us in such a physical game.

Porter has a real chance to lay down a marker and if he can impose himself by carrying the ball will mark himself out as a real asset to us in the loose.

I think it will be an error strewn game but I expect Leinster to win given Munsters imports are only being blooded for their first game. The team with the least errors will win.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Up Wexford wrote: August 21st, 2020, 9:20 am Getting nervous but excited for the game tomorrow. We are obviously better but we look to have essentially three year one senior players in the pack. Like a few above I would have liked to have seen one of Dev/Rhys/Furlong in there.

No offence at all to Ryan Baird but he is up against RG Snyman. What a baptism of fire (on a separate point, could it be possible we are overrating Snyman? A great world cup, sure, in the bench mob and a year in the Japanese league)

We do have a proud tradition of blooding our youngsters in the Munster match and still getting the very satisfying win, I seem to remember Tadgh Furling selected to start tight head in Munster in Lansdowne a four or so years ago, and of most recently Larmour side stepping the sh!t out of Munster in the Christmas fixtures.

Assuming the leaks are accurate - there tends to be one or two inaccuracies.
Fixed
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 21st, 2020, 12:25 pm Looking at the Munster team I expect them to use their backs to run hard a lot without much subtlety. DDA, Farrell, and Daly are all very capable of using their hands but they also like to run directly and there isn't much creativity on the wings either, very much more about running at space than creating it. A lot of great chasers for Murray to kick for too which would be good prep for Saracens.

Farrell has quick hands and is great at that last second pass with very little arm movement. Can see DDA & him drawing a lot of defenders in, creating a good bit of space out wide. Whilst it might be a pig of a game, I suspect we'll see VdF come close to breaking some sort of tackle record tomorrow.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

limecat wrote: August 21st, 2020, 2:42 pm Match Preview

After an almost six-month break since their last game at home to Glasgow at the end of February, Leinster are back in action tomorrow evening.

The Covid-19 lockdown has been tough on everyone and our sympathies go out to everyone in the rugby community who's been ill or has lost a loved one. Sport has brought some relief to the tedium of the lockdown and while rugby has long since resumed in the southern hemisphere, now Leinster fans have some meaningful rugby to watch tomorrow evening.

Read more...
Now that Tomane is gone is DB coming back? Thanks for the preview as always.
Daniel Sullivan
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

FLIP wrote: August 18th, 2020, 11:40 am
bluemagic wrote: August 18th, 2020, 11:36 am
bluemagic wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:25 am Munster are going to announce soon that Carbery will be our for an indefinite period. I have to say I feel sorry for him....

Expect Munster to come sniffing from our stock now though with bleyndall and carbery potentially not being available next year

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/munsterrugby/status ... 38848?s=21
No more toys for Munster until they stop breaking them.
mildlyinterested wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:53 am All Limerick refereeing team for Saturday. Andy Brace in the middle with George Clancy and Joy Neville doing the line.
Would be fairly shocking if true - if there's any credibility gap for this league it's allowing referees from a place to referee that place as a matter of course.
While I agree it is far from ideal which one do you think is a cheat? Brace and Clancy are both international referees and Neville is a person with a very good reputation. It's hard to accept though and it' even harder to accept that neither Ulster nor Connacht could have provided one, two or all three on-field officials. If they can't then the IRFU is seriously failing in referee development.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

RichardP wrote: August 21st, 2020, 4:31 pm While I agree it is far from ideal which one do you think is a cheat? Brace and Clancy are both international referees and Neville is a person with a very good reputation. It's hard to accept though and it' even harder to accept that neither Ulster nor Connacht could have provided one, two or all three on-field officials. If they can't then the IRFU is seriously failing in referee development.
Could we fix it so Neville takes over - I'd prefer her as ref and Clancy sent to the wrong ground "by accident"
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

With that analysis there's not much point in playing the match. except as a training session.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

It may have been answered already but why is this game at Aviva instead of RDS? It's not like they're expecting a big crowd!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RichardP wrote: August 21st, 2020, 4:31 pm While I agree it is far from ideal which one do you think is a cheat? Brace and Clancy are both international referees and Neville is a person with a very good reputation. It's hard to accept though and it' even harder to accept that neither Ulster nor Connacht could have provided one, two or all three on-field officials. If they can't then the IRFU is seriously failing in referee development.
It doesn't matter who I think is a cheat or not. What matters is that the league should never be using referees who have a clear conflict of interest.
Anyone But New Zealand
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

FLIP wrote: August 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm
It doesn't matter who I think is a cheat or not. What matters is that the league should never be using referees who have a clear conflict of interest.
In fairness it could actually affect the team they hail from more in that the referee wants to make sure they are giving no bias by being even harsher on that team than the other, so it could basically work both ways - I agree that refs should be completely neutral to ensure a fair match for both sides
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote: August 21st, 2020, 4:11 pm

Farrell has quick hands and is great at that last second pass with very little arm movement. Can see DDA & him drawing a lot of defenders in, creating a good bit of space out wide. Whilst it might be a pig of a game, I suspect we'll see VdF come close to breaking some sort of tackle record tomorrow.
Yeah like I said I do think they've got good hands, and actually think it's a lazy analysis for anyone to assume that the centres will just bash it up because of their size. Farrell has always been really skillful and DDA has improved his handling massively over the last two years or so, although he was very one dimensional (and prone to dropping balls) before that. But part of why I think they'll just be direct is because of what we saw from Munster before the break. I don't think JVG is looking to add subtlety, I think he just wants to get better at getting over the gainline and then play simple stuff off that. Super Rugby Auteroa has seen most teams playing like that too. It's very much about attacking the space directly and playing quickly off that momentum rather than manipulating the defence so that you can get an overlap in a few phases time. It's also meant that scrumhalves' trail lines have been really important with the likes Jamie Booth have a huge impact late on and I could see Casey playing that role brilliantly for Munster. Maybe not tomorrow when the ball carriers will all be tired early on (although he'll be able to create things himself anyway) but he'll have a field day if the team gels together next season.