Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

Post by mildlyinterested »

Le Duvet wrote: August 20th, 2020, 2:04 pm When is team announced?
tomorrow at 12pm.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Given that we're worried about other teams being able to hear our calls and figure us out, should we have a coach that can speak Afrikaans for this match?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Possible Leinster XV: (from the 42)

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Dave Kearney
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. James Lowe
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Luke McGrath

1. Cian Healy
2. Ronan Kelleher
3. Andrew Porter
4. Ryan Baird
5. Scott Fardy
6. Caelan Doris
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jack Conan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting team, would be surprised to see such a full strength 15, probably means a weaker side against Ulster.

A lot of carrying in that pack.
Doris at 6 would be a really interesting one and he may be looked at there for the HEC to get a bit more carry into the backrow.

Only place I'd slightly worry is in the lineout. Taking Dev & Ruddock out slightly limits us there.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:29 pm Interesting team, would be surprised to see such a full strength 15, probably means a weaker side against Ulster.

Doris at 6 would be a really interesting one and he may be looked at there for the HEC to get a bit more carry into the backrow.

Only place I'd slightly worry is in the lineout. Taking Dev & Ruddock out slightly limits us there.
Yeah wouldn't be my call for this match either. Would have mixed it up more. Buy hey, I wouldn't second guess Leo/Stuart. If they think it's the right way to go that's good enough for me.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I imagine Munster will be more difficult to beat as Ulster will be missing Henderson, Ballacoun and Addison. Great selection IMO. I wanted Baird and J10 starting. If it comes to pass, I'll be very happy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Murray K's teams

15. Matt Gallagher
14. Andrew Conway
13. Chris Farrell
12. Damian de Allende
11. Keith Earls
10. JJ Hanrahan
9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. John Ryan
4. Jean Kleyn
5. RG Snyman
6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
7. Jack O’Donoghue
8. CJ Stander

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Dave Kearney
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. James Lowe
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Luke McGrath

1. Cian Healy
2. Ronan Kelleher
3. Andrew Porter
4. Ryan Baird
5. Scott Fardy
6. Caelan Doris
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jack Conan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeinsterLeader wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:32 pm
wixfjord wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:29 pm Interesting team, would be surprised to see such a full strength 15, probably means a weaker side against Ulster.

Yeah wouldn't be my call for this match either. Would have mixed it up more. Buy hey, I wouldn't second guess Leo/Stuart. If they think it's the right way to go that's good enough for me.
I mean, if that is the team, then playing Byrne, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Maloney, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan as next week's pack is surely mixing it up a fair bit, no?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Getting nervous but excited for the game tomorrow. We are obviously better but we look to have essentially three year one senior players in the pack. Like a few above I would have liked to have seen one of Dev/Rhys/Furlong in there.

No offence at all to Ryan Baird but he is up against RG Snyman. What a baptism of fire (on a separate point, could it be possible we are overrating Snyman? A great world cup, sure, in the bench mob and a year in the Japanese league)

We do have a proud tradition of blooding our youngsters in the Munster match and still getting the very satisfying win, I seem to remember Tadgh Furling selected to start tight head in Munster in Lansdowne a four or so years ago, and of most recently Larmour stepping out Vs Munster in the Christmas fixtures.

Assuming the leaks are accurate - there tends to be one or two inaccuracies.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Would be Conan's first game of rugby in nearly a year. :green clap:
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Love it!
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Up Wexford wrote: August 21st, 2020, 9:20 am Getting nervous but excited for the game tomorrow. We are obviously better but we look to have essentially three year one senior players in the pack. Like a few above I would have liked to have seen one of Dev/Rhys/Furlong in there.

No offence at all to Ryan Baird but he is up against RG Snyman. What a baptism of fire (on a separate point, could it be possible we are overrating Snyman? A great world cup, sure, in the bench mob and a year in the Japanese league)

We do have a proud tradition of blooding our youngsters in the Munster match and still getting the very satisfying win, I seem to remember Tadgh Furling selected to start tight head in Munster in Lansdowne a four or so years ago, and of most recently Larmour stepping out Vs Munster in the Christmas fixtures.

I was going to post something along these lines too. He’s a decent signing no doubt but is he a game changer for Munster? The things people got excited about were him running through an ametuer league in japan.... I certainly wouldn’t swap Ryan or Fardy for him.

Happy to be corrected on this but I’m always under the impression that SA a players play significantly better for the national team then they do at club level.

Same goes for DeAllende. He’s certainly a very good player but having him and Farrell in the centres is going to be very limiting for them. As usual Munsters style will probably work against the weaker teams but when they come up against someone who can match them physically they’re going to be even less creative than last year.

In a funny way Gallagher is the signing they really needed. Not that he’ll see much ball with the two lads in centre
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

bluemagic wrote: August 21st, 2020, 11:03 am
Up Wexford wrote: August 21st, 2020, 9:20 am Getting nervous but excited for the game tomorrow. We are obviously better but we look to have essentially three year one senior players in the pack. Like a few above I would have liked to have seen one of Dev/Rhys/Furlong in there.

I was going to post something along these lines too. He’s a decent signing no doubt but is he a game changer for Munster? The things people got excited about were him running through an ametuer league in japan.... I certainly wouldn’t swap Ryan or Fardy for him.

Happy to be corrected on this but I’m always under the impression that SA a players play significantly better for the national team then they do at club level.

Same goes for DeAllende. He’s certainly a very good player but having him and Farrell in the centres is going to be very limiting for them. As usual Munsters style will probably work against the weaker teams but when they come up against someone who can match them physically they’re going to be even less creative than last year.

In a funny way Gallagher is the signing they really needed. Not that he’ll see much ball with the two lads in centre
I don't know lads........ I just don't know!

You may very well be right, but I think JVG knows what he's trying to do and those boys are key to his plan. I think too the fact that Munster were willing to pay so much for these guys and still let them play International rugby (madness in my opinion) tells you how much JVG wanted these particular guys. The problem with that for JVG is that he's not calling all the shots and part of what these guys do will be out of his control. Big risk.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

6 forwards on leinster bench.

Deegan number 23.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Jordan Larmour (46)
14. Dave Kearney (148)
13. Garry Ringrose (72)
12. Robbie Henshaw (44)
11. James Lowe (43)
10. Johnny Sexton (163) CAPTAIN
9. Luke McGrath (123)
1. Cian Healy (216)
2. Rónan Kelleher (11)
3. Andrew Porter (62)
4. Ryan Baird (7)
5. Scott Fardy (58)
6. Caelan Doris (29)
7. Josh van der Flier (80)
8. Jack Conan (89)

16. Seán Cronin (181)
17. Ed Byrne (52)
18. Michael Bent (135)
19. Devin Toner (244)
20. Will Connors (15)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (88)
22. Ross Byrne (84)
23. Max Deegan (62)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Munster: Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; RG Snyman, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Chris Cloete, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Matt Gallagher.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting selections.

Munster have clearly identified the need for some bench impact. That starting 8 looks a bit one paced though.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Are we auditioning Max for the bench #12 role? :lol:

I wonder is the 6/2 split a preparation for how we might go against Sarries...
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

It's always nice to beat Munster but I'll settle for 'no injuries and a bit of cohesion in these next two games. Anything else will be bonus territory for me!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I like the team, it's really exciting to see Baird play again and I think it's important that we try Doris out as a 6. Also like that we've gone with the first choice backline to get some cohesion.

Not a fan of the bench though. Swap Ross with Frawley and it would make more sense but I don't like it now, especially if there's more risk of injury after the lay off. Plus there are a lot of backs who've been kicking their heels for 6 months and one more misses out now. Even if we want it as a dry run for doing it against Sarries I don't actually think we'd make six changes up front unless we had to because of injury.

I've joked before about Deegan being one of our most creative players and being able to play anywhere but maybe we'll actually see it.

I guess Furlong is injured? I'd be happier with the bench if he was on it but overall it doesn't really matter, I'm just delighted that we get to see them play again and hope everyone comes through unscathed. I'm expecting a pig of a game but I couldn't care less!
Last edited by LeRouxIsPHat on August 21st, 2020, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.