Re: Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

Post by Dave Cahill »

The word 'indefinite' is worrying.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Am dying to see how the selection goes for this and the Ulster match. My own inclination would be to go full strength vs Munster and rotate the week later. More than anything, I'd like to see Johnny starting on Saturday for the added emotion and statement of intent it would bring.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't know how the setback occurred but it happened around a month ago so I doubt he was even doing contact at that stage because he'd only been back on the pitch for a week or two. Poor guy, hopefully the focus on getting back rather than rushing back will do the trick. I always remember Keith Gleeson saying that ankle injuries are tricky and that you can be healthy but not sharp. I think he said he was back playing for the guts of a year before he was suddenly back to normal one day.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

You have to feel for the lad, at this stage he must be thinking that he will never get a break.
He has played very little rugby over the last 2 years, and you’d have to wonder if he will get near a pitch in the next 12 months.

Hopefully this is just a setback, and he eventually gets a good run of games to show the world what he is obviously capable of.

From a Munster point of view, I hope that they do not go to the market looking for a replacement.
If they do, it would be good to see Johnson making a return.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

munster#1 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:02 pm You have to feel for the lad, at this stage he must be thinking that he will never get a break.
He has played very little rugby over the last 2 years, and you’d have to wonder if he will get near a pitch in the next 12 months.

Hopefully this is just a setback, and he eventually gets a good run of games to show the world what he is obviously capable of.

From a Munster point of view, I hope that they do not go to the market looking for a replacement.
Why did Johnson go to Ulster? If it a loan deal and if so when is he due back in the Munster bosom?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

deco wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:18 pm
munster#1 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:02 pm You have to feel for the lad, at this stage he must be thinking that he will never get a break.

Why did Johnson go to Ulster? If it a loan deal and if so when is he due back in the Munster bosom?
because munster brought Carbery in.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I know an old woman, who swallowed a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
And I don’t know why she swallowed the fly.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Disaster for carbery. Hopefully it’s just a sensible treatment to properly sort an issue. There’s a lot of guys who’ve looked cooked and they return and get another 4/5 years.

Re Munster please Trust our own. No short term cover please. JJ will do fine
Find out of any of flannery/Healy/Crowley are up to the level required. And if not cull.
My guess is Crowley will come to the fore.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote: August 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I know an old woman, who swallowed a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
And I don’t know why she swallowed the fly.
There's a hole in our Squad dear Liza, dear Liza, a hole.
Then fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.
With what shall I fix it dear Liza, dear Liza, with what.
With straw dear Henry, dear Henry, with straw.
The straw is broken dear Liza, dear Liza, broken.
Then Byrne it dear Henry, dear Henry, Byrne it.
Which Byrne will I use dear Liza, dear Liza, which Byrne.
With Ross dear Henry, dear Henry with Ross.
There's a hole in their squad dear Liza, dear Liza, a hole.
F^ck them dear Henry, dear Henry, f^ck them.
With what shall I f................
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Sugary tae wrote: August 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm Disaster for carbery. Hopefully it’s just a sensible treatment to properly sort an issue. There’s a lot of guys who’ve looked cooked and they return and get another 4/5 years.

Find out of any of flannery/Healy/Crowley are up to the level required. And if not cull.
The time scale will be the real issue here.
As repeatedly mentioned on here, JVG is under pressure to win silverware, with some saying that he won’t be around long if he doesn’t, or things to that effect, so the duration of this layoff should dictate Munster’s next move.

With JJ it is not impossible to win big games, but if he was to get injured, then Munster would be in a very sticky position.
Crowley is very promising, but it would be very unfair to think that he would be able to step in and lead Munster in a HC game, likewise with Healy.

If Joey is likely to return during the group stages of the HC, or if Munster were to get a favourable draw, then by all means they should plough on with what they have.

Right now Munster are minus their first and second choice out halves with the retirement of Tyler and this injury, not too many teams could expect to be competitive using their 3rd and 4th choice out halves.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

munster#1 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Sugary tae wrote: August 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm Disaster for carbery. Hopefully it’s just a sensible treatment to properly sort an issue. There’s a lot of guys who’ve looked cooked and they return and get another 4/5 years.

As repeatedly mentioned on here, JVG is under pressure to win silverware, with some saying that he won’t be around long if he doesn’t, or things to that effect, so the duration of this layoff should dictate Munster’s next move.

With JJ it is not impossible to win big games, but if he was to get injured, then Munster would be in a very sticky position.
Crowley is very promising, but it would be very unfair to think that he would be able to step in and lead Munster in a HC game, likewise with Healy.

If Joey is likely to return during the group stages of the HC, or if Munster were to get a favourable draw, then by all means they should plough on with what they have.

Right now Munster are minus their first and second choice out halves with the retirement of Tyler and this injury, not too many teams could expect to be competitive using their 3rd and 4th choice out halves.
Surely this is a discussion for Munsterfans.com ??
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

alanair wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:25 pm
munster#1 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Surely this is a discussion for Munsterfans.com ??
That’ll distract from it being Joe Schmidt’s fault
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Tough for Carbery. Hope they don’t rush him back for big games.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Mods can you move the Cadbur chatter to the ex Leinster players thread?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

So Munster are looking for injury cover for Carbery..... does that mean stealing one of ours (after they got rid of bill johsnston) or given more money to sign another foreign player
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

bluemagic wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:34 am So Munster are looking for injury cover for Carbery..... does that mean stealing one of ours (after they got rid of bill johsnston) or given more money to sign another foreign player
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Van Grab
“All options will remain on the table,” Johann van Graan said in a virtual press conference yesterday.

As always, we’ll look to fill within first and then we’ll be in constant communication with David (Nucifora) as to the future but in terms of what’s coming short term, we’re really excited to look at what we have."
:lol:
Neck like a jockey's boll*x!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Ryan Baird to start with Scott Fardy. Porter at TH ahead of Furlong. Really strong team I hear. Can't wait.
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

When is team announced?