Pro 14 Semi-final vs Munster, Friday Sept 4th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro 14 Semi-final vs Munster, Friday Sept 4th, 7.35pm

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

People don’t seem very happy that we’ve made a Pro14 final and seem more concerned about Saracens the week after.

I think the big thing for me is that we were outstanding in the air. In tough conditions and with the pressure on after last week and knowing that it was Munster’s big entry into the game we were absolutely brilliant. Other things need work but credit to everyone involved for getting the improvement there.

The breakdown is one area that needs attention but we have James Ryan and possibly Furlong to come back in and help sort that. Ryan might also help the lineout a bit.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:54 pm People don’t seem very happy that we’ve made a Pro14 final and seem more concerned about Saracens the week after.
I think you can be both delighted we’ve won but also realistic about the level of the performance tonight.

Sarries will pose a far greater challenge then Embra or Ulster, and if we don’t improve a lot next week we’ll need a big shift in gear the week before Europe.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:51 pm

You can’t just turn on a performance having been poor for multiple games. Lineout misfired
Even with Dev there? Why do you think that was? :wink:

Actually on that point, having given out about the gap and Munster being illegal Brace did actually mention it a couple of times although we were just as guilty for being offside and at one stage Fardy jumped across but didn’t get the ball and then collected a dropped ball in an offside position having not got back onside.

There was one lineout for us where the Munster pod was directly in front of Kelleher before he threw it but they misjudged it and didn’t get off the ground. Complete joke.

It’s an area that’s a mess at the moment and world rugby needs to sort it out. Don’t think it’s difficult to do but we need some directives ASAP.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

baird had a good cameo.. nice break down the wing at one point.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:58 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:54 pm People don’t seem very happy that we’ve made a Pro14 final and seem more concerned about Saracens the week after.
I think you can be both delighted we’ve won but also realistic about the level of the performance tonight.

Sarries will pose a far greater challenge then Embra or Ulster, and if we don’t improve a lot next week we’ll need a big shift in gear the week before Europe.
Think you’re being a bit harsh but I’m not denying that we need to improve. I just think people need to relax and try to enjoy the final rather than worry about Saracens...I’m
quite looking forward to seeing a final after the most miserable six months that I’ve ever experienced.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Think you’re being a bit harsh but I’m not denying that we need to improve. I just think people need to relax and try to enjoy the final rather than worry about Saracens...I’m
quite looking forward to seeing a final after the most miserable six months that I’ve ever experienced.
Harsh in what way?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

'It was brutal, ugly stuff but it's all about getting to a final," says Cullen

true Leo, very true.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Ugly, ugly game ... but the most important thing about a semi-final is the result.

Seems like that heavy shower just before kick-off had quite an outsized impact on the game, because handling was scrappy and footing seemed a little uncertain. A lot of better games have been played in worse conditions.

Munster's gameplan was extremely one-dimensional, purposely limited and ultimately unsuccessful. When you play such a pig of a gameplan and don't get the result, there's nothing to take from the game. Nothing.

Leo can be extremely satisfied with his selection call given the performance of Hugo Keenan and Larmour in the backfield. Both of them dealt with repeated bombs extremely effectively, and Keenan was more or less flawless over the course of the game. It would have been very comforting to select RK back there [and I would have], but Leo went with a much younger – a full decade younger – player with a fraction of RK's experience. It paid off. Now you've got a player who has thrived in a very high pressure game, who has proven himself. I had really underestimated Keenan until this season; he has been as composed and competitive as you would want any player to be.

Doris had a very big game at No6, particularly during the second half. Best backrow on the pitch. Dev had a strong game as well, not just out of touch but in the scrum as well, where we were dominant throughout.

A horror of a night for J.J. Hanrahan. I was very happy to see those kicks missed, but I feel for the guy.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:59 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:12 pm P.s. debates are lot easier without unnecessary laughing emojis.

Ah, so you're a fan of emojis now eh LRIP? That's a change eh? :lol:

Doesn't the lineout improvement illuustrate the point that clearly having Dev to throw to makes it far easier for a hooker? You said 'Kelleher wouldn't benefit from haviing Dev there'. I think he clearly did tonight.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:10 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Harsh in what way?
Harsh in that we did some good things too and were mostly comfortable and in control so I didn’t think the performance was as bad as you did.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:59 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:12 pm P.s. debates are lot easier without unnecessary laughing emojis.

Ah, so you're a fan of emojis now eh LRIP? That's a change eh? :lol:

Doesn't the lineout improvement illuustrate the point that clearly having Dev to throw to makes it far easier for a hooker? You said 'Kelleher wouldn't benefit from haviing Dev there'. I think he clearly did tonight.
Emm I didn’t use a laughing emoji? I was making sure you knew it was tongue in cheek and not just...cheek.

No I said he wouldn’t particularly benefit from having Dev there because he’s a poor thrower and will always make mistakes. And the reason I used that emoji was actually because I didn’t think there was much evidence of my point tonight. The one that went over Conan seemed like a mistimed jump to me.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Harsh in that we did some good things too and were mostly comfortable and in control so I didn’t think the performance was as bad as you did.
As I said, it's not about beating Munster, we should have a higher bar than that.

We didn't look uncomfortable, but it's fair to say that we had a huge amount of unforced errors that won't fly against a better side.

A Leinster side shouldn't be making some of the errors that the lads made tonight (kicks on the full, stupid pens etc), and judging by Leo's comments he agrees.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Emm I didn’t use a laughing emoji? I was making sure you knew it was tongue in cheek and not just...cheek.

No I said he wouldn’t particularly benefit from having Dev there because he’s a poor thrower and will always make mistakes. And the reason I used that emoji was actually because I didn’t think there was much evidence of my point tonight. The one that went over Conan seemed like a mistimed jump to me.

Ah right, it's the laughing emoji that you have a specific problem with, but the other emojis are all ok! Good to know :wink:

Yep, you said he wouldn't benefit from having Dev there, which is clearly not correct. Any hooker benefits from having his best lineout exponent starting. And I think that was shown tonight as you say.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:23 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Ah right, it's the laughing emoji that you have a specific problem with, but the other emojis are all ok! Good to know :wink:

Yep, you said he wouldn't benefit from having Dev there, which is clearly not correct. Any hooker benefits from having his best lineout exponent starting. And I think that was shown tonight as you say.
Don’t think I did that say actually.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:25 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:23 pm
Don’t think I did that say actually.
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:08 pm
I just don’t see Kelleher as being someone who will ever be consistently solid at lineout time or someone who’d particularly benefit from a guy like Dev being there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Pretty sure I’ve explained this several times by now. I think Kelleher is a poor thrower so will always make mistakes even if Dev is there. That was the point I was making.

Tonight wasn’t an example of it.

I mean I’m actively trying to be sound here by pointing out that the one overthrow didn’t back up my argument.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:33 pm Pretty sure I’ve explained this several times by now. I think Kelleher is a poor thrower so will always make mistakes even if Dev is there. That was the point I was making.
The point you literally made (as above) was that Kelleher wouldn't benefit from Toner being there.

I said he clearly would, since any hooker would benefit from having his best jumper starting.

He can be a poor thrower, but will make less mistakes with a better lineout in front of him.

That was illustrated tonight.

Then you denied saying it.

The emojishaming and emojisplaining is another issue. :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good analysis from MK here - https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1301986934995267584

The Sexton kick in the first half was probably our best move of the game. Great to see Keenan coming off the wing. He had a really good game.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:37 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 4th, 2020, 11:33 pm Pretty sure I’ve explained this several times by now. I think Kelleher is a poor thrower so will always make mistakes even if Dev is there. That was the point I was making.
The point you literally made (as above) was that Kelleher wouldn't benefit from Toner being there.

I said he clearly would, since any hooker would benefit from having his best jumper starting.

He can be a poor thrower, but will make less mistakes with a better lineout in front of him.

That was illustrated tonight.

Then you denied saying it.

The emojishaming and emojisplaining is another issue. :lol:
When I said “I don’t think I did say that” I meant that I didn’t say that Dev helped Kelleher, because I didn’t, I just said that our lineout issues weren’t down to Kelleher tonight.

This is so tedious, I’ve expanded on that quote several times and am comfortable that I’ve made the point quite clearly.

One more time. I think Kelleher is a poor thrower and will always make mistakes even when Dev is there. That’s what I meant and you can keep repeating that quote above but that’s what I meant.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Too much negativity on here.....into the final, Munster back off home with tail firmly between legs and yes we were at best 60% of where we could be but considering they were playing in an empty stadium, greasy ball, working through all the PC covid stuff and having had such little real playing time in the last six months it is a testament to the professionalism and drive of the players and coaches. While it's bloody depressing watching an empty stadium a big thank you to the lads and the management for keeping the show on the road.

I have no doubt Leocaster have a couple more gears to go as we ramp up for Sarries....but first let's dispatch Edinburgh or Ulster as a nice warmup.