Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

Post by Theleinsterlad »

It’s kinda been forgotten as there wasn’t a crowd and it doesn’t feel like the end of the season with the new one 3 weeks away, but Leinster just won the PRO14 unbeaten! Brilliant commitment from the 53 men who took the field over the year
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Chuffed with that. Well done to all involved and fair play to Leo for also giving a "shout out" to the likes of Joe Tomane and Barry Daly, without naming them directly. Upwards and onwards!!! My afternoon will be spent rewatching the match and also keeping an eye on the opposition i.e. Saracens vs Exeter.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

What’s the craic with medals? Does only the match day squad get them or do all 50+ lads that played during the league get one?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

There was a lot of talk on various forums of the younger "more exciting" fly halfs coming through that were going to upsurge Ross Byrne quickly and take the reigns at 10 when JS retired. I'm sorry but Ross Byrne is the man to lead Leinster and any fly half coming through will have to be pretty damn special to displace him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Keith wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:54 pm There was a lot of talk on various forums of the younger "more exciting" fly halfs coming through that were going to upsurge Ross Byrne quickly and take the reigns at 10 when JS retired. I'm sorry but Ross Byrne is the man to lead Leinster and any fly half coming through will have to be pretty damn special to displace him.
Said it before and I’ll say it again. It wouldn’t bother me if Ross was dropped in to start the morning of an unimportant league game or a World Cup final, you just know he’ll perform. He must be such a nice player to play outside of as well. Compare how his centres line up outside him and the passes they get with Mads and his outside backs on the other side.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Keith wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:54 pm There was a lot of talk on various forums of the younger "more exciting" fly halfs coming through that were going to upsurge Ross Byrne quickly and take the reigns at 10 when JS retired. I'm sorry but Ross Byrne is the man to lead Leinster and any fly half coming through will have to be pretty damn special to displace him.
100%
Comical at times how the “newest shining” thing is just jettisoned in front of a guy
RB10 proven big time player not just only from last night but seasons gone past
He’s the real deal
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

So maybe they WERE. A new set of Lineout calls - given the amount of recent ex Leinster players for Ulster ??
Would go some way to explain things
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Peter O’Reilly gave “Hugh Keenan” 6 out of 10 in the Sunday Times. The mainstream media really are lying to us
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Unbeaten league campaign. Feels pretty good! Congratulations to the boys in blue and all the backroom staff that made this happen! These are our salad days, covid or no! :happy clapper: :clap:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:34 am Don’t quite get the praise for JGP,
Never change :lol:

To be fair, I thought McGrath’s shift was the best I’ve seen him in a while. He’d been pretty average for much of the season, and certainly since the restart.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote: September 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm Peter O’Reilly gave “Hugh Keenan” 6 out of 10 in the Sunday Times. The mainstream media really are lying to us
Can somebody lay out all of O'Reilly's ratings of Leinster players for us guys 'behind the wall'?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:34 am Don’t quite get the praise for JGP,
Never change :lol:

To be fair, I thought McGrath’s shift was the best I’ve seen him in a while. He’d been pretty average for much of the season, and certainly since the restart.
Pretty unfair to cut off the rest of what I said about him. He played well overall and I said as much, and also if you go back to his previous start I praised him then too, especially his defence IIRC, so if you think I’ve got it in for him then you’re completely and utterly wrong.

Luke was excellent in the first game and then poor in his second, not sure why people seem to forget that he played well in the opening game just because he didn’t back it up.

It’s the one selection I’m not sure about for this week. I think it’ll be Luke but no doubt JGP will be unlucky to miss out if he does.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Avenger wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:52 pm What’s the craic with medals? Does only the match day squad get them or do all 50+ lads that played during the league get one?
Couldn't quite get to sleep last night, even counting Leinster trophies didn't help. Was thinking about this post.
Does Salanoa get a medal? He played in the league campaign did he not?
So funny.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Avenger wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:52 pm What’s the craic with medals? Does only the match day squad get them or do all 50+ lads that played during the league get one?
Couldn't quite get to sleep last night, even counting Leinster trophies didn't help. Was thinking about this post.
So funny.
I wondered about this ended up deciding that every player would receive a medal if they played.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

domhnallj wrote: September 14th, 2020, 2:53 pm
So funny.
I wondered about this ended up deciding that every player would receive a medal if they played.
Which of course means that Jack Aungier also gets a medal.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lots of the Connacht squad have medals that they got while in Connacht though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: September 14th, 2020, 4:57 pm Lots of the Connacht squad have medals that they got while in Connacht though.
That's very true Ronk.
Only them and ourselves have won trophies in the modern era (after June 1st 2011)
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 3:42 pm
domhnallj wrote: September 14th, 2020, 2:53 pm

So funny.
Which of course means that Jack Aungier also gets a medal.
And fair play to him! His debut - coming off the bench in Thomond over Xmas and helping prevent Munster getting over the tryline in the dying minutes was the cause of much loud cheering by the patrons of The Summit Inn - that's for sure!!!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Some random numbers for the Pro 14 season

53 players used over the Pro 14 season
45 players started a game
17 wins
16 JGP most appearances by a back
14 Mickey Bent most appearance by a forward
11 Hugo Keenan, Will Connors, Scott Fardy and Peter Dooley most starts
9 appearances off the bench for 21 year old LH Michael Milne
8 starts for Joe Tomane in midfield guiding our young guys when the stars were away, his experience will be mssed
7 players used aged 21 or younger
5 players gone to pastures new
2 Legends retiring
1 appearance by Tadhg Furlong over the Pro14 season the same as 20 year old TH Tom Clarkson
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English