Rob and Ferg

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Rob and Ferg

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks fellas :happy clapper:

It’s been a privilege to watch them both for all these years. Two huge presences in so many great days for Leinster and Ireland, and I hope they know how much enjoyment they’ve given everyone over the years.

I’m not part of the Clongowes mafia but saw them both play in school and it’s hard to believe that they were still going up to today.

This is far from Rob’s finest moment but I’ll always remember him catching a high ball earlier on against Ulster in 2012 and it honestly felt like the whole of Twickenham knew Leinster were safe from that moment on.

Ferg’s celebration against Wasps happened in front of me and is one of my favourite Leinster moments.

Pity they went out like this but they’ll never be forgotten :happy clapper: :cry:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Rob and Ferg

Post by Peg Leg »

Thanks LRIP, so important to mark their importance. If they retired at different times they'd have a thread each that would be chapters long.

I'll can't type this on the phone, I'll be back when I get to a keyboard.

Two actual legends. Jesus the pashion and energy Ferg gave to his celebrations was more than I give in the gym. Rob-Enfield (although actually Johnstownbridge) changed the face of Irish rugby.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Thanks boys, for me Rob's monster drop goal v Clermont was that moment of perfection, clean as a whistle and Ferg well I could choose from a plethora of hits......Mr Leinster.

Thanks guys.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Rob always had the backfield covered and with Ferg I'll never forget the Heino semi vs Scarlets where he went to ground in the tackle just before their line, thereby stopping three of them bundling him into touch. Thanks lads, ye're legends!!!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

I wonder if they might be given a run out in 2 weeks for the first match of the new season?

If not, thanks for everything, lads.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Heroes.

Pity they couldn’t go out in the Final but we had to pick a team to win.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Two legends. Rob is Irelands most successful rugby player and Ferg is a leinster legend - like having another back row threat on the wing. Both were exceptional kickers too which we rarely got to see. Who knows, maybe one more year?
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

ronk wrote: September 20th, 2020, 9:23 am Heroes.

Pity they couldn’t go out in the Final but we had to pick a team to win.
We certainly did that. Saracens played a 37 yr old scrum half who put our back 3 to shame.
We ignored the only weapon we had against that in not playing RK and I think Ferg too would have brought a lot more passion to the proceedings. Larmour has been exposed consistently by good kickers. Saracens had an easy in - the match was lost in the first half and Kearney's calm temperament and backfield policing was sorely missed. Leinster had no fight in them until too late and a player like Ferg has never been short on that.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Sad to see them go great servants and totally dedicated to the cause!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Two of the 'winningest' players we've ever had.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/rob-kearney-says-farewell

So it turns out the guy is a bloody class wordsmith as well.

:cry:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

OTT wrote: September 24th, 2020, 11:31 am https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/rob-kearney-says-farewell

Is he retiring or just finished with Leinster & Ireland?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

nc6000 wrote: September 24th, 2020, 11:37 am
OTT wrote: September 24th, 2020, 11:31 am https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/rob-kearney-says-farewell

Is he retiring or just finished with Leinster & Ireland?
ROC says he’s got a gig lined up somewhere and gives the impression that it’s either the US or Japan. Think johng has mentioned that Japan was in the pipeline but can’t remember for sure.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Thanks for posting the link OTT.
An amazing, amazing player.
Deserved his success.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

There's a rumour doing the rounds on Facetube of a move to Western Force ...
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

riocard911 wrote: September 24th, 2020, 12:55 pm There's a rumour doing the rounds on Facetube of a move to Western Force ...
Connacht? :wink:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: September 24th, 2020, 12:55 pm There's a rumour doing the rounds on Facetube of a move to Western Force ...

Irish Times too. Would be happy for him if true. He was dropped more out of need to give time to a replacement than to his form.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Absolute legends both of them.
As mentioned earlier his dropgoal away to Clermont in Toulouse. In fact that day was one of his greatest ever performances. I vaguely remember a kick to touch that went 22 to 22. Have never found it on youtube though, to verify it.
Ferg high point for me in recent years was his try in the Aviva v Wasps with the chest thumpin and all that. His race to the line v Racing?? in the RDS years earlier also sticks out.
Warriors both, owe us nothing.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:Absolute legends both of them.
As mentioned earlier his dropgoal away to Clermont in Toulouse. In fact that day was one of his greatest ever performances. I vaguely remember a kick to touch that went 22 to 22. Have never found it on youtube though, to verify it.
Ferg high point for me in recent years was his try in the Aviva v Wasps with the chest thumpin and all that. His race to the line v Racing?? in the RDS years earlier also sticks out.
Warriors both, owe us nothing.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Some of my fondest most rousing memories of Ferg are his counter rucking. Lineup-hit-drive-reset-repeat
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Confirmed: Rob Kearney agrees one-year deal to play with Western Force in 2021

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 71719.html