Glass is Full!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Glass is Full!

Post by OTT »

It has been a sobering couple of days for me. I don't really do social media as a participant. I for sure dip into things like twitter to read what the crazies are saying, or read other fans forums before a big game to get their feel and expectations on the game or read munsterfans when I am feeling in need of a laugh but I don't actually contribute or post things. This is the only site I contribute to and my reason for that is for the most part the posters are of sound mind, I can educate myself on a fair bit about the game from the excellent contributors, we all have a love of Leinster Rugby and there is an unwritten rule ( I think?) that we don't go after our own players and I don't mean pointing out mistakes or things they should be doing I am referring to bland statements where people are writing off careers off the back of a game of rugby.

This team that we love have had an unreal season, it has been the strangest season since rugby went professional, stranger than the foot and mouth season. World Class is a term we don't throw around to much but we have navigated practically our whole season without two of our World Class players in Leavy and Furlong. The rugby we have played at times has been absolutely sensational and it was done for the most part with a load of young kids and a few old stalwarts. I can say in total sincerity I have not enjoyed going to the RDS for Pro 14 games more than I did this season, it would not matter who we picked I got entertained and excited by the potential that we got to see.

There has been a bit of what I would say is stupid heat of the moment gutter sh!t said about certain players eg Dev is done he does not have the physicality, Dev has mixed it with the absolute best in the world and he was not found out physically against Saracens. Last week we were talking about how he was essential to the team. We did not lose that game in the trenches we lost it at set piece, have a constructive go at him there because he will demand that himself but please stop with the overwrought emotional claptrap about one of the very best to ever wear the Blue jersey. Or Healy is done he is past his best he just does not have it anymore, we literally came up against maybe the best club front row in the world, I don't think that is a stretch. Healy will be hurting, he will be really annoyed that he was not able to influence the scrum and I am sure even more disappointing that it did not improve in the second half but he will come back from this stronger because he has every time he has faced a knock over his 12 years in the team. Or we need to move on from Luke McGrath..., Luke McGrath is a 27 year old who has played over 120 times for Leinster, he has won 19 caps for Ireland. He had a bad game fair enough no arguements, people might have wanted JGP starting fair enough but we now need to just move on from him? Really, what is the rationale for that because we lost a game of rugby were we got mullered in the scrum? Someone needs to come along and take his jersey, that is how it works in Leinster we don't just dump guys because we are pissed off we lost a game. Another one, Lowe doesn't have it, he is grand against alright teams he just won't make it as an international, did he not play okay on Saturday? Did his performance have any real effect on why we lost? Why unnecessarily throw in random sh!t that is 100% unproven and matters not to the game that was played. Also he was f%~king brilliant 2 years ago against the same team so like ya know maybe he is actually capable at this low level of his. Conan does not have it physically against the best teams, why? Is there proof or was he knocked back repeatedly, did he miss loads of tackles? He made over twice the amount of metres off less carries than the supposedly best number 8 in world rugby hmmmm. Father time will eventually fall on these great players of ours but it will be a sad days for me(and most reasonable people) much like Rob and Ferg retiring it won't be something I get any joy out of.

Anyway that is the senior guys, so maybe they can suck in the cr@p but why target young lads. Apparently Porter has the power but he will never have the technique the be an effective tight head...end the project now and move him to loose head. the lad is 24 and because he is such a talent he has missed out on a load of starts for Leinster because he is with Ireland so much. Someone pointed out he has just 21 starts at th for Leinster, Saracens th is 30, has won a world cup and has about 80 more pro games under his belt, can we not be constructive with the criticism as opposed to just blanketly saying hes done as a th. He was also up against Vunipola in the scrums who is in the top 2 or 3 loose heads in the world, Porter will take huge learnings and scars from this game. lets not write him off. Connors, just tackles, isn't big enough, doesn't offer a poaching threat, can't carry. Jeepers that guy sounds cr@p, it must be a different Connors then I have watched this season where he was usually mom, it also must be a different Connors than the one who kept the best number 8 in the world anonymous for the 60 minutes he was on. Come on lads you're better than this cr@p. Larmour is done as a full back he is no Rob Kearney, Rob Kearney is the most winning rugby player to ever come off these shores period...the guy would make me look good in a back 3, why do you think Munster fans hate him so much because he is a an absolutely f%~king amazing fullback and has been his entire career, Larmour is class, he makes mistakes but everyone who is not Rob Kearney makes mistakes, has he lots to improve on, sure but he is 23 and has won 3 leagues and played in two cup finals in a very young career, he is not doing to bad. Maybe he will end up on the wing because to be constructive he is potentially a world class winger and if there is a better full back then great but if he doesn't we can still win trophy's with him there over the next 10 years, Rome was not built in a day.

If we are this rubbish and we have all these useless players why did we think we had any chance of winning? If winning is so easy why have the best teams over the course of the competition only won 4 Cups each. The bad days are hard, they leave me down and empty but by f%~k I much prefer being there for them than looking on with no tangible interest and they make the good days even better because we have all been on that emotional roller coaster of highs, lows and highs. Saracens did us, it hurts but when the best teams go up against each other someone wins and someone loses. As poor as we played in a lot of aspects of that game we also had them within a one score game with a minute to play. I d'on't think the world is ending any time soon.

What are our chances this season coming? I think we can win the Pro 14 and win Europe, we have no right to do either but I think we can do it. And people will choose to think that is some how a cocky thing to say but how is it, that is what we do here, we win leagues and chase Cups. I can only believe the people who think we are so bad and have called out our players for not being good enough must think this as well because other wise they should have expected us to lose against Saracens, they should have expected us to be mullered in the scrum the only think they could be surprised about was that we finished with in 8 points being as inept as we are.

The shortest off season ever thank f%~k? in two weeks we start the process of winning a 4th league in a row and chasing our 5th star. I just wish I could get to the RDS to see them and enjoy a few brilliant weekends away with my friends, some of the best times of my life following this team. Leinster have been keeping my glass full for years. I can't wait for next season.

I am sure in the following hours and days I will wish I had not posted this out of personal embarrassment for the rant but at least I will be in good company on here.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Glass is Full!

Post by riocard911 »

OTT wrote: September 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm It has been a sobering couple of days for me. I don't really do social media as a participant. I for sure dip into things like twitter to read what the crazies are saying, or read other fans forums before a big game to get their feel and expectations on the game or read munsterfans when I am feeling in need of a laugh but I don't actually contribute or post things. This is the only site I contribute to and my reason for that is for the most part the posters are of sound mind, I can educate myself on a fair bit about the game from the excellent contributors, we all have a love of Leinster Rugby and there is an unwritten rule ( I think?) that we don't go after our own players and I don't mean pointing out mistakes or things they should be doing I am referring to bland statements where people are writing off careers off the back of a game of rugby.

This team that we love have had an unreal season, it has been the strangest season since rugby went professional, stranger than the foot and mouth season. World Class is a term we don't throw around to much but we have navigated practically our whole season without two of our World Class players in Leavy and Furlong. The rugby we have played at times has been absolutely sensational and it was done for the most part with a load of young kids and a few old stalwarts. I can say in total sincerity I have not enjoyed going to the RDS for Pro 14 games more than I did this season, it would not matter who we picked I got entertained and excited by the potential that we got to see.

There has been a bit of what I would say is stupid heat of the moment gutter sh!t said about certain players eg Dev is done he does not have the physicality, Dev has mixed it with the absolute best in the world and he was not found out physically against Saracens. Last week we were talking about how he was essential to the team. We did not lose that game in the trenches we lost it at set piece, have a constructive go at him there because he will demand that himself but please stop with the overwrought emotional claptrap about one of the very best to ever wear the Blue jersey. Or Healy is done he is past his best he just does not have it anymore, we literally came up against maybe the best club front row in the world, I don't think that is a stretch. Healy will be hurting, he will be really annoyed that he was not able to influence the scrum and I am sure even more disappointing that it did not improve in the second half but he will come back from this stronger because he has every time he has faced a knock over his 12 years in the team. Or we need to move on from Luke McGrath..., Luke McGrath is a 27 year old who has played over 120 times for Leinster, he has won 19 caps for Ireland. He had a bad game fair enough no arguements, people might have wanted JGP starting fair enough but we now need to just move on from him? Really, what is the rationale for that because we lost a game of rugby were we got mullered in the scrum? Someone needs to come along and take his jersey, that is how it works in Leinster we don't just dump guys because we are pissed off we lost a game. Another one, Lowe doesn't have it, he is grand against alright teams he just won't make it as an international, did he not play okay on Saturday? Did his performance have any real effect on why we lost? Why unnecessarily throw in random sh!t that is 100% unproven and matters not to the game that was played. Also he was f%~king brilliant 2 years ago against the same team so like ya know maybe he is actually capable at this low level of his. Conan does not have it physically against the best teams, why? Is there proof or was he knocked back repeatedly, did he miss loads of tackles? He made over twice the amount of metres off less carries than the supposedly best number 8 in world rugby hmmmm. Father time will eventually fall on these great players of ours but it will be a sad days for me(and most reasonable people) much like Rob and Ferg retiring it won't be something I get any joy out of.

Anyway that is the senior guys, so maybe they can suck in the cr@p but why target young lads. Apparently Porter has the power but he will never have the technique the be an effective tight head...end the project now and move him to loose head. the lad is 24 and because he is such a talent he has missed out on a load of starts for Leinster because he is with Ireland so much. Someone pointed out he has just 21 starts at th for Leinster, Saracens th is 30, has won a world cup and has about 80 more pro games under his belt, can we not be constructive with the criticism as opposed to just blanketly saying hes done as a th. He was also up against Vunipola in the scrums who is in the top 2 or 3 loose heads in the world, Porter will take huge learnings and scars from this game. lets not write him off. Connors, just tackles, isn't big enough, doesn't offer a poaching threat, can't carry. Jeepers that guy sounds cr@p, it must be a different Connors then I have watched this season where he was usually mom, it also must be a different Connors than the one who kept the best number 8 in the world anonymous for the 60 minutes he was on. Come on lads you're better than this cr@p. Larmour is done as a full back he is no Rob Kearney, Rob Kearney is the most winning rugby player to ever come off these shores period...the guy would make me look good in a back 3, why do you think Munster fans hate him so much because he is a an absolutely f%~king amazing fullback and has been his entire career, Larmour is class, he makes mistakes but everyone who is not Rob Kearney makes mistakes, has he lots to improve on, sure but he is 23 and has won 3 leagues and played in two cup finals in a very young career, he is not doing to bad. Maybe he will end up on the wing because to be constructive he is potentially a world class winger and if there is a better full back then great but if he doesn't we can still win trophy's with him there over the next 10 years, Rome was not built in a day.

If we are this rubbish and we have all these useless players why did we think we had any chance of winning? If winning is so easy why have the best teams over the course of the competition only won 4 Cups each. The bad days are hard, they leave me down and empty but by f%~k I much prefer being there for them than looking on with no tangible interest and they make the good days even better because we have all been on that emotional roller coaster of highs, lows and highs. Saracens did us, it hurts but when the best teams go up against each other someone wins and someone loses. As poor as we played in a lot of aspects of that game we also had them within a one score game with a minute to play. I d'on't think the world is ending any time soon.

What are our chances this season coming? I think we can win the Pro 14 and win Europe, we have no right to do either but I think we can do it. And people will choose to think that is some how a cocky thing to say but how is it, that is what we do here, we win leagues and chase Cups. I can only believe the people who think we are so bad and have called out our players for not being good enough must think this as well because other wise they should have expected us to lose against Saracens, they should have expected us to be mullered in the scrum the only think they could be surprised about was that we finished with in 8 points being as inept as we are.

The shortest off season ever thank f%~k, in two weeks we start the process of winning a 4th league in a row and chasing our 5th star. I just wish I could get to the RDS to see them and enjoy a few brilliant weekends away with my friends, some of the best times of my life following this team. Leinster have been keeping my glass full for years. I can't wait for next season.

I am sure in the following hours and days I will wish I had not posted this out of personal embarrassment for the rant but at least I will be in good company on here.
I'm still hurting, so thanks for the pick me up. Needed that!!!! :happy clapper: :clap: :green clap:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Fair play to ye OTT. I agree with you 100% but wouldn't have had the nerve (or the patience) to post anything like that with all the negativity going round at the minute.

Still as sick as a pig about Saturday but it will pass (everything does) and when It does I'd still rather be watching this team then doing most anything else! Next season can't come quick enough now
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on September 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

great post OTT. am still hurting but like you have had so many great days following leinster. cardiff v saints one of my favourites.
looking forward to more soon.
Longtimelurker
Beginner

Post by Longtimelurker »

Well said OTT.. We march on!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Love the post.. very nicely said.
On Saturday night I told myself I care too much about Leinster Rugby, and vowed to care less in the future. There's not a chance though...
Dont Panic!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Dexter wrote: September 21st, 2020, 3:50 pm Love the post.. very nicely said.
On Saturday night I told myself I care too much about Leinster Rugby, and vowed to care less in the future. There's not a chance though...
Ditto ( I may or may not have had 3 mates over ). After the game the wife came in and asked us who died. Sometimes I think we get far to much emotionally involved than we should, but wouldnt have it any other way.
Onwards and Upwards
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

OTT wrote: September 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm It has been a sobering couple of days for me. I don't really do social media as a participant. I for sure dip into things like twitter to read what the crazies are saying, or read other fans forums before a big game to get their feel and expectations on the game or read munsterfans when I am feeling in need of a laugh but I don't actually contribute or post things. This is the only site I contribute to and my reason for that is for the most part the posters are of sound mind, I can educate myself on a fair bit about the game from the excellent contributors, we all have a love of Leinster Rugby and there is an unwritten rule ( I think?) that we don't go after our own players and I don't mean pointing out mistakes or things they should be doing I am referring to bland statements where people are writing off careers off the back of a game of rugby.

The shortest off season ever thank f%~k, in two weeks we start the process of winning a 4th league in a row and chasing our 5th star. I just wish I could get to the RDS to see them and enjoy a few brilliant weekends away with my friends, some of the best times of my life following this team. Leinster have been keeping my glass full for years. I can't wait for next season.

:Clap Clap:
Four Stars
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

OTT wrote:It has been a sobering couple of days for me. I don't really do social media as a participant. I for sure dip into things like twitter to read what the crazies are saying, or read other fans forums before a big game to get their feel and expectations on the game or read munsterfans when I am feeling in need of a laugh but I don't actually contribute or post things. This is the only site I contribute to and my reason for that is for the most part the posters are of sound mind, I can educate myself on a fair bit about the game from the excellent contributors, we all have a love of Leinster Rugby and there is an unwritten rule ( I think?) that we don't go after our own players and I don't mean pointing out mistakes or things they should be doing I am referring to bland statements where people are writing off careers off the back of a game of rugby.

Im still pissed off about Newcastle 2019 so I wont be getting over this any time soon

But you’re absolutely right about the need to seperate constructive criticism from “player X is cr@p”.

If my own humour is anything to go by then the players and coaches will be even more determined to get that 5th title. I even ordered a new jersey cos it was the only positive thing I could think of to do!

At least we don’t have long to wait before it all starts again. Im desperate to watch these lads take it out on someone now! Ultimately it won’t feel right until we’re at the top of the mountain again.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Twist wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:25 pm
Im still pissed off about Newcastle 2019 so I wont be getting over this any time soon

But you’re absolutely right about the need to seperate constructive criticism from “player X is cr@p”.

If my own humour is anything to go by then the players and coaches will be even more determined to get that 5th title. I even ordered a new jersey cos it was the only positive thing I could think of to do!

At least we don’t have long to wait before it all starts again. Im desperate to watch these lads take it out on someone now! Ultimately it won’t feel right until we’re at the top of the mountain again.
Absolutely. The last 2 Saracens results have pissed me off more than any other game, in any code, ever!
Dont Panic!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

OTT wrote: September 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm I am sure in the following hours and days I will wish I had not posted this out of personal embarrassment for the rant but at least I will be in good company on here.
Well said. People say things that they regret when they are emotional ... but they should know that and not write them down on the internet!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Great post OTT. I remember the seasons from 2002 to 2007 when everybody would have been ecstatic to win a league title. Now winning three in a row does not satisfy many fans unless we also win the HC. Expectations are a little unrealistic.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Angelsea Angst wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:34 pm Great post OTT. I remember the seasons from 2002 to 2007 when everybody would have been ecstatic to win a league title. Now winning three in a row does not satisfy many fans unless we also win the HC. Expectations are a little unrealistic.
That's a really good point!
Victims of their own success eh?
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Thanks @OTT. Balance & perspective. I was too gutted on Saturday or yesterday to even consider posting. Your post was time (and words) well spent.
leinsterblueyellow
Learner

Post by leinsterblueyellow »

Great Post. Totally agree with everything. It is amazing how the media turns on the basis of one loss.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great post OTT.

I was the one who mentioned Lowe and I’d stand by what I said and argue that it absolutely was relevant to analysing the match but I agree with your sentiment and won’t argue it here.

Tbf I think a lot of us are sick of being beaten up by Saracens and England, and the World Cup is still fresh in our minds too. I certainly thought Leinster were in good shape to move on from all that and I’d imagine others did too so when it doesn’t happen it’s pretty frustrating. Totally agree about some criticism being unnecessary or devoid of context though.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Super post and yes it is essential to remember how lucky we are to follow Leinster, they have given us so much and will continue to do so.

I think the media can largely be ignored, half of them just are pi**ed the real province in Ireland down south wit de passion has won Jack all in since 2011 so love pi**ing in our soup.

Posters on here are largely well intentioned bar the odd troll and yes while it is always a little knee jerk at times (writing off Lowe or whoever) there is generally a lot of good points raised not for points scoring or negativity but because we all desperately want a fifth star not just for us but for Baird or Sexton or Healy etc etc.

I think there seems to have been 4 main recurring points raised post the game, 1. Scrum 2. PRO 14 Quality Issues. 3. Luke McGrath and 4. High Balls and Fullback.

It is good to discuss and while of course we are just a bunch of amateur pundits I am sure similar conversations are taking place in Leo land too (maybe not particularly personal ones) but I am sure they are discussing scrum depth and issues etc etc....

We are blessed with a never ending line of exciting youngsters be it Baird or Keenan or Porter or Kelleher etc etc but what lessons to we bring out of a game like Saracens is cracks need to be filled and constantly reviewed if we are to stay at the very top level. Teams like Saracens with serious experience can simply find a weakness and exploit, scrum being the big un last weekend. It is there and it needs fixing for the very big games next season.

If we had a NIQ scrummaging monster to work with Healy for example could we have won that game, quite possibly and really that is all people are talking about. Is there somewhat of a question mark over Larmour and the high ball, perhaps Keenan is a better long term choice there? etc etc

The talent out there is more than enough to win more HC's perhaps with a little tweaking or help at times.

Yes we have stupidly high expectations but to me that is a great thing, its now an ingrained part of Leinster rugby, the players strolling off after a third league win, happy but not exactly going nuts as they had larger targets in their eyes. No one in the Leinster setup will say this season was a great season and that is a good thing in my eyes. Push and push and a fifth star will come but honesty is required too and I am sure it will be there in spades as this team moves forward. If that means bringing in a couple of NIQ's in key positions so be it. The Elsom's and Isa's and Thorn's all made that little bit of difference to shore up weaker areas. Nothing wrong with it considering we are often playing teams with only 1 or 2 locals on their own team !!

As for the Pro14 we are a victim of our own success, in short we desperately need some improvement from the other layabouts to really push us on !! It is a troubled league but there isn't any quick fix so we have to work within it and find a way to step up to the very biggest games that we hit in the final stages of the HCup. Maybe entering a Leinster A team would be the best idea :D

Onwards and upwards and jeepers are we a lucky bunch, that you can't argue with. Imagine being a Dragons fan or even worse a Munster fan....... :mrgreen:
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Blueberry wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm Super post and yes it is essential to remember how lucky we are to follow Leinster, they have given us so much and will continue to do so.

I think the media can largely be ignored, half of them just are pi**ed the real province in Ireland down south wit de passion has won Jack all in since 2011 so love pi**ing in our soup.

Posters on here are largely well intentioned bar the odd troll and yes while it is always a little knee jerk at times (writing off Lowe or whoever) there is generally a lot of good points raised not for points scoring or negativity but because we all desperately want a fifth star not just for us but for Baird or Sexton or Healy etc etc.

I think there seems to have been 4 main recurring points raised post the game, 1. Scrum 2. PRO 14 Quality Issues. 3. Luke McGrath and 4. High Balls and Fullback.

It is good to discuss and while of course we are just a bunch of amateur pundits I am sure similar conversations are taking place in Leo land too (maybe not particularly personal ones) but I am sure they are discussing scrum depth and issues etc etc....

We are blessed with a never ending line of exciting youngsters be it Baird or Keenan or Porter or Kelleher etc etc but what lessons to we bring out of a game like Saracens is cracks need to be filled and constantly reviewed if we are to stay at the very top level. Teams like Saracens with serious experience can simply find a weakness and exploit, scrum being the big un last weekend. It is there and it needs fixing for the very big games next season.

If we had a NIQ scrummaging monster to work with Healy for example could we have won that game, quite possibly and really that is all people are talking about. Is there somewhat of a question mark over Larmour and the high ball, perhaps Keenan is a better long term choice there? etc etc

The talent out there is more than enough to win more HC's perhaps with a little tweaking or help at times.

Yes we have stupidly high expectations but to me that is a great thing, its now an ingrained part of Leinster rugby, the players strolling off after a third league win, happy but not exactly going nuts as they had larger targets in their eyes. No one in the Leinster setup will say this season was a great season and that is a good thing in my eyes. Push and push and a fifth star will come but honesty is required too and I am sure it will be there in spades as this team moves forward. If that means bringing in a couple of NIQ's in key positions so be it. The Elsom's and Isa's and Thorn's all made that little bit of difference to shore up weaker areas. Nothing wrong with it considering we are often playing teams with only 1 or 2 locals on their own team !!

As for the Pro14 we are a victim of our own success, in short we desperately need some improvement from the other layabouts to really push us on !! It is a troubled league but there isn't any quick fix so we have to work within it and find a way to step up to the very biggest games that we hit in the final stages of the HCup. Maybe entering a Leinster A team would be the best idea :D

Onwards and upwards and jeepers are we a lucky bunch, that you can't argue with. Imagine being a Dragons fan or even worse a Munster fan....... :mrgreen:
+1, very well put sir!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Blueberry wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm Imagine being a Dragons fan or even worse a Munster fan.
I actually can't. My wildest nightmares can't even contemplate such horror.