Leinster V NG Dragons RDS Fri 2nd Oct 20:15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster V NG Dragons RDS Fri 2nd Oct 20:15

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:40 pm
Keenan was always a solid all rounder but now he’s becoming excellent in most areas. I couldn’t get over his work rate last night, especially his kick chase. There was one where he came from the opposite side of the pitch to put pressure on the Dragons near the corner, made me tired just watching it.
He really is. He makes very, very few mistakes but he isn't a conservative player either.

One of the most enjoyable parts of following Leinster is seeing young players step up their level of performance to push for selection in the biggest games, and we have actually had a glut of it in 2020 – Ronan Kelleher, Ryan Baird, Will Connors, Caelan Doris and now Keenan.

There will be more of them over the next six months. Harry Byrne is right on the cusp, and I think both Jack Dunne and Tommy O'Brien are poised to really start challenging.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

He's deceptively powerful is Keenan.
Sort of has this gliding run, but he hits a line very hard.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 6:33 pm He's deceptively powerful is Keenan.
Sort of has this gliding run, but he hits a line very hard.
Hugo has many skills and strengths but I believe his biggest asset is his ability to appreciate what and where is team-mates are doing. Whether it's putting somebody through a gap or running a support line or chasing and competing for a kick, he is exceptional. Over 2020 only Shane Daly has been as impressive at 15 from an Irish Province.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Ruddock should be in the team at 6 every time, especially against the big English and french teams, he gives us that bit of dog in the pack.
He just smashes people. Him leavy and dorris the future Leinster backrow imho.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

lummix wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 9:51 pm Ruddock should be in the team at 6 every time, especially against the big English and french teams, he gives us that bit of dog in the pack.
In fairness Connors did nothing wrong in the sarries game and if anything followed through on his ability to stop players at source. With the new rules a player like Connors tackling behind the line will be hugely valuable and will have a say on our backrow
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Theleinsterlad wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 10:37 pm
lummix wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 9:51 pm Ruddock should be in the team at 6 every time, especially against the big English and french teams, he gives us that bit of dog in the pack.
In fairness Connors did nothing wrong in the sarries game and if anything followed through on his ability to stop players at source. With the new rules a player like Connors tackling behind the line will be hugely valuable and will have a say on our backrow
The only fault in Connors game that day was playing meerkat instead of driving at scrum time which is where the match was lost.

In saying that his tackling is a huge asset to his game and to the team in general
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 10:48 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 10:37 pm
The only fault in Connors game that day was playing meerkat instead of driving at scrum time which is where the match was lost.

In saying that his tackling is a huge asset to his game and to the team in general
Meerkating, a new rugby term. :happy clapper:
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Twist wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm Fingers crossed for Max Deegan. Thats a pretty severe injury toll to ship in a 30 point win.

Baird looks so impressive though. His conditioning work over the lockdown period is really paying off. I didn't think he'd have the power to play second row at the highest level but he's putting himself about like Itoje (who he's slightly taller than) recently
Baird / Ryan ..... awesome combination ....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

alanair wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:17 am
Twist wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm Fingers crossed for Max Deegan. Thats a pretty severe injury toll to ship in a 30 point win.

Baird looks so impressive though. His conditioning work over the lockdown period is really paying off. I didn't think he'd have the power to play second row at the highest level but he's putting himself about like Itoje (who he's slightly taller than) recently
If we can get Jack Dunne to put on 10-12kg or so we should be set for second rows for the next decade! :lol:

Ross M only 26 too and more than good enough to lead in the league. Plus Charlie Ryan.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Duplicate
Last edited by ronk on October 4th, 2020, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:43 am
wixfjord wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:34 am
alanair wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:17 am

If we can get Jack Dunne to put on 10-12kg or so we should be set for second rows for the next decade! :lol:

Ross M only 26 too and more than good enough to lead in the league. Plus Charlie Ryan.
I think Dunne is already the heaviest of our young locks.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:44 am
ronk wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:43 am
wixfjord wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:34 am

I think Dunne is already the heaviest of our young locks.
Aye but he has plenty of space to pack more mass on. We need at least one 19/20st lock imo. The only danger with Baird/Ryan is they it might be a little bit light for the odd game against a huge French pack.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ryan looks to have filled out this year and is man-handling fellow second rows with ease. I think it won’t be long before he is the same Size as George Kruis or AWJ.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

backrower8 wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:45 pm Ryan looks to have filled out this year and is man-handling fellow second rows with ease. I think it won’t be long before he is the same Size as George Kruis or AWJ.
One of the few bright moments in the Sarries game was Ryan running over Maro Itoje. Although, I don't think we have any second-rows in our current stock who can be a truly world class 'big man enforcer' tighthead second-row. Think Etzebeth, Simon Shaw, Skelton etc.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

backrower8 wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:45 pm Ryan looks to have filled out this year and is man-handling fellow second rows with ease. I think it won’t be long before he is the same Size as George Kruis or AWJ.
He'll need to put on about a stone if he wants to do that.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

“I’m about 113 (kg) and that’s where I see my optimum weight. Usually I’m about 112 so this period has allowed me to put on a small bit of size”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4254409

He'd have to gain about 10 kilos to be the same size as Kruis or AWJ if their listed weights are accurate.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I had almost forgotten - Ringrose, what a kick!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:21 pm
“I’m about 113 (kg) and that’s where I see my optimum weight. Usually I’m about 112 so this period has allowed me to put on a small bit of size”

He'd have to gain about 10 kilos to be the same size as Kruis or AWJ if their listed weights are accurate.
Itoge is 115kg. Would anyone want him to put on 8kg?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ronk wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Dunno. Depends can they carry it without it negatively affecting their game.

I'm not saying Ryan should bulk up. He says 113kg is his optimum weight. Can't get better than optimum.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote:

Itoje looked undersized against the Boks. He’s obviously very powerful pound for pound, but he’s small for a second row