Leinster V NG Dragons RDS Fri 2nd Oct 20:15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster V NG Dragons RDS Fri 2nd Oct 20:15

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, but Itoje is absurdly athletic and powerful, so hits like most second-rows would at 125kg, and moves like someone who's 100kg. For a non-total freak athlete, a bruiser tighthead lock needs to be at least 117-120kg or even more.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

leinsterforever wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:17 pm
ronk wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:59 pm
leinsterforever wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:21 pm

“I’m about 113 (kg) and that’s where I see my optimum weight. Usually I’m about 112 so this period has allowed me to put on a small bit of size”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4254409

He'd have to gain about 10 kilos to be the same size as Kruis or AWJ if their listed weights are accurate.
Itoge is 115kg. Would anyone want him to put on 8kg?
Dunno. Depends can they carry it without it negatively affecting their game.

I'm not saying Ryan should bulk up. He says 113kg is his optimum weight. Can't get better than optimum.

Indeed. Ryan knows his body better than anyone. If he bulks up he is more likely to get injured. Pound for pound he is world class and you can see him dominate tackles regularly.

I think with the South Africans they like to bulk up as big as possible. Quinn Roux was much bigger when he signed for Leinster.

So which is the correct method? Who knows. Its a bit like rock, paper, scissors. Get a team big enough and they can overpower opposition but if a smaller team can live (not be dominated) with the big teams' power then their extra mobility will be an advantage.

Imo it would be no harm to have a few 120kg+ second rows for variety if nothing else. On wet nights or tight arm wrestles they will come in handy to add ballast to the pack. Schmidt was a fan of having those big tighthead locks.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

From recent training photos Dunne looks to have put on a slab of meat during covid.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

JR listed at 116kg in fridays gameday programme fwiw.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:43 am JR listed at 116kg in fridays gameday programme fwiw.
That’s a 10kg advance on previous listing which was probably Outdated from his first or second year as a Pro.

His profile page on Leinster Rugby lists his weight as 115.91kg to be precise!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:43 am JR listed at 116kg in fridays gameday programme fwiw.
There's a programme?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

joooooe wrote: October 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm
There's a programme?
There's a link to it on page 7
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Our set play for the third try is worth another look about 5 mins into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfS0sX ... terRugbyTV

Lineout midway between 22 and half way.

We go to Fardy at the back and TOB drives it up the centre.

At this same time Rhys is running to the wing.

Then JGP switches back the other way. Keenan comes from the backfield late and gets the ball between two decoy running forwards.

We've then created a 3 on 2 with Lowe and Rhys outside him. Lowe takes a man out and puts Rhys free.

After about 7-8 phases we eventually get over in the same corner.

All the time Larmour is sprinting side to side in the backfield and gets multiple involvements.

Looks like the plan is to use Rhys and Fardy as wide carriers, which will be interesting to see if it continues this weekend.