MNR: Glasgow away, 2nd Nov, 8.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: MNR: Glasgow away, 2nd Nov, 8.15pm

Post by mildlyinterested »

Twist wrote: November 1st, 2020, 12:54 pm Im surprised not to see Frawley for this
Must be injured. Again.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Glasgow team up: https://www.glasgowwarriors.org

Backs [15-9]: Huw Jones, Tommy Seymour, Nick Grigg, Sam Johnson, Niko Matawalu, Peter Horne, George Horne;
Forwards [1-8]: Aki Seuli, Grant Stewart, D'Arcy Rae, Rob Harley, Hamish Bain, Ryan Wilson, Thomas Gordon, T.J. Ioane;
Subs [16-23]: George Tuner, Alex Allan, Enrique Pieretto, Chris Fusaro, Fotu Lokotui, Jamie Dobie, Brandon Thompson, Ratu Tagive.

Looks like a strong team to me – lot of threats in that backline with Huw Jones, Sam Johnson, Tommy Seymour and George Horne. This could be a very difficult game for us.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

hugonaut wrote: November 1st, 2020, 1:06 pm Glasgow team up: https://www.glasgowwarriors.org

Backs [15-9]: Huw Jones, Tommy Seymour, Nick Grigg, Sam Johnson, Niko Matawalu, Peter Horne, George Horne;
Forwards [1-8]: Aki Seuli, Grant Stewart, D'Arcy Rae, Rob Harley, Hamish Bain, Ryan Wilson, Thomas Gordon, T.J. Ioane;
Subs [16-23]: George Tuner, Alex Allan, Enrique Pieretto, Chris Fusaro, Fotu Lokotui, Jamie Dobie, Brandon Thompson, Ratu Tagive.

Looks like a strong team to me – lot of threats in that backline with Huw Jones, Sam Johnson, Tommy Seymour and George Horne. This could be a very difficult game for us.
Interestingly 7 of their squad were released by Scotland :shock:

I'd make them strong favorite's so!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Stronger side the better from a leinster POV.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Big game for Glasgow. Their ambition is to make the semis and a bad start leaves then 10 points off the pace already. A win tomorrow changes a lot for them and they have a shot against a heavily depleted Leinster. Good time to get so many internationals back. This could be the toughest game of our season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

6-2 split. Risky with some guys relatively newly back out wide. Good for Leavy
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm Stronger side the better from a leinster POV.
I know that MI but I'm not sure how to handle a league loss.

Might need therapy! :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:00 pm Big game for Glasgow. Their ambition is to make the semis and a bad start leaves then 10 points off the pace already. A win tomorrow changes a lot for them and they have a shot against a heavily depleted Leinster. Good time to get so many internationals back. This could be the toughest game of our season.
Very few familiar faces on the Warriors bench and although they have regained a decent complement of returning internationals, I think the Leinster selection has at least as many future internationals.

Looking forward to seeing how our mid-field functions but am also sorry not to see Frawley included.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Yeah, at home with that squad - if they don’t beat us this time we’re officially into hoodoo territory
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Their backline is very strong, if with two players (Jones and Matawalu) in their secondary positions. I think we can get at them up front though. Let's hope for some horrific Glasgow weather.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Matawalu always causes us problems.

Big job for Kelleher to keep him quiet.

Also, interesting to see Kelleher at 14 and DK at 11. I wonder is that an Andy Farrell request?

Our bench pack looks a little callow, but Sheehan, Milne, Clarkson are all well capable of adding carrying impact. Hopefully there aren't too many scrums in last 20.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Monday, Bloody Monday!

You got to hand to those Pro-whatever administrators, they are the masters at giving the fans what they never asked for.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The strength of the Glasgow team and the fact that it is an away fixture means this is a really meaningful test for Harry Byrne. The fact that there is a vacuum at 10 nationally adds further import to tonight. I think he should get capped against Georgia or the week after that. He needs to be fast tracked in both squads.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am Matawalu always causes us problems.

Also, interesting to see Kelleher at 14 and DK at 11. I wonder is that an Andy Farrell request?
Interesting idea.

I never played in the back three [even as a nipper] and it's part of the game where some nuances are lost on me. I understand – I think I understand – what is expected of wingers in different defensive systems, but I mostly put their selection at either left or right wing down to getting them in the team, maybe sometimes whether they favour kicking the ball with left or right foot.

For example, Stockdale and James Lowe are both left-footed, but surely one of them can play right wing without his game going to pieces? And if a left-footed kicking option in defense has become a big requirement for us, surely you can just put your left-footed winger in at fullback for one phase to make that kick – for example, you could play Hugo Keenan at fullback with Lowe or Stockdale on the left wing and just swap positions when you need a left-footed defensive clearance.

I've generally come down more in favour of big wing/small wing, players who offer different threats; for example, Shane Williams and George North for Wales in 2011-12. Both guys have pace and can beat you in small spaces – one guy by sending you the wrong way, the other guy by going through you.

Would be keen to learn more and hear different opinions.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I always understood that the better ball handler and/or kicker is on the left, and the better player under a high ball and/or running with ball in hand tends to be on the right. It partly comes down to the play mostly being passed right to left but kicked left to right. That's just down to most people being right handed.

No idea if that's true mind you. Probably doesn't apply at the highest levels even if it is true.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Our bench pack looks a little callow, but Sheehan, Milne, Clarkson are all well capable of adding carrying impact. Hopefully there aren't too many scrums in last 20.
Should we not really be hoping for the opposite? Given that most of the criticism of the team after the Saracens loss revolved around how under prepared this league gets us for bigger matches should we not be hoping for every opportunity possible to test these guys. Fair enough most of these lads won't be front line for the bigger games but an injury or two and the likes of Clarkson and Milne could find themselves on the bench in a big Europe game. If that should happen it might be nice for them to have the experience of a a scrum roasting in the freezing cold of a Glasgow winters evening to draw on for experience.

Just a thought!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 12:31 pm

Should we not really be hoping for the opposite? Given that most of the criticism of the team after the Saracens loss revolved around how under prepared this league gets us for bigger matches should we not be hoping for every opportunity possible to test these guys. Fair enough most of these lads won't be front line for the bigger games but an injury or two and the likes of Clarkson and Milne could find themselves on the bench in a big Europe game. If that should happen it might be nice for them to have the experience of a a scrum roasting in the freezing cold of a Glasgow winters evening to draw on for experience.

Just a thought!

Yeah good point maybe so!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Developing props can very easily be set back by having too hard a time too early.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ronk wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:25 pm Developing props can very easily be set back by having too hard a time too early.
Fair enough but my point is more of a general one in that we could probably do with a real good roasting tonight. Not necessarily on the scoreboard but in the toughness of the opposition and to be honest I think looking at the team Glasgow have picked we'll get it.

Look, I hate to see Leinster lose and if they do I'll be gutted in the morning. But putting that aside for a second there's probably a fair argument to make that a narrow lose, were were pushed to the pin of our collar, might be more beneficial to us in the long run then another walk in the park.

All that being said, a narrow win were we're put through the ringer would be the ideal scenario :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:48 pm
ronk wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:25 pm Developing props can very easily be set back by having too hard a time too early.
Fair enough but my point is more of a general one in that we could probably do with a real good roasting tonight. Not necessarily on the scoreboard but in the toughness of the opposition and to be honest I think looking at the team Glasgow have picked we'll get it.

Look, I hate to see Leinster lose and if they do I'll be gutted in the morning. But putting that aside for a second there's probably a fair argument to make that a narrow lose, were were pushed to the pin of our collar, might be more beneficial to us in the long run then another walk in the park.

All that being said, a narrow win were we're put through the ringer would be the ideal scenario :D
+1!!!