Ospreys away, Sunday, Nov 8th 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Ospreys away, Sunday, Nov 8th 3pm

Post by Flash Gordon »

Blueberry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:23 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: November 8th, 2020, 4:21 pm Can anyone explain why Dave Kearney looked so disappointes to have scored that try? His reaction was very odd.
Because somewhere in the world a Munster fan is writing off his performance and calling him Average Dave....... :mrgreen:
Joking aside, if you look at Dave's try scoring record over the last couple of seasons he pretty much scores a try a game. His try scoring ratio to game time is way higher than, say, Larmour's. With his record and his defensive work if he was a 23 year old he'd be the next big thing and a banker for the Ireland squad.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:11 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 8th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Blueberry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:04 pm Ruddock is in spectacular form.

Should be starting at 8 for Ireland. No debate in my eyes.

I know we were a bit ragged in places but incredibly impressive fitness with the quick turnaround. Ospreys dead on their feet.

We trundle ever onwards. 25 from 25 points.
Congratulations on yet another win.

Interesting claim about Ruddock. It’s not long ago that Heaslip was claiming that Dorris was the best 8 in the country, and many feel that Conan is.

Ruddock is a player who had so much potential early on, but unfortunately he never seemed to reach his full potential, so would be great to see him doing it at this stage of his career.

With Ruddock being the best 8 in Ireland, would you envisage Doris making a permanent move to blindside, and Conan being relegated to the bench?

To me the pecking order would be different, but all are great options to have, especially when you throw Deegan into the mix.
I wouldn't even know where to start with the pecking order. We have a bit of a production line at Leinster, you have POM and CJ at Munster, Jordi at Ulster. The "when they're all fit" discussion is hypothetical really as given the importance and the attritional nature of the position you pretty much need 2 international class back rows.
Sorry, I should have worded it better. I was talking about the Leinster backrow.

I fully understand your point, and even with all fit, it provides a team the opportunity of going with a horses for courses approach, although I think this may be limited to flankers as opposed to number 8.
The 8 seems to be a more consistent pick in most instances.

Agreed that a team should ideally have 2 sets of back rows, but this doesn’t always mean that the first choice would not be established.

I think from a Leinster perspective that open side will be the most difficult position. You have so many top quality options, with 2 of them in the Irish squad, and arguably the best open side in the country getting up to speed after a lengthy layoff.

If I were to pick the Leinster backrow it would be Dorris, Leavy and Conan, but there is no real notable drop off to the next best.
I am a massive fan of the redemption stories, so I would love to see Ruddock become a nailed on starter when fit, and then force his way into the Irish team.

You are certainly in a very enviable position, I would certainly love something similar at Munster.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:15 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: November 8th, 2020, 4:21 pm Can anyone explain why Dave Kearney looked so disappointes to have scored that try? His reaction was very odd.
Because somewhere in the world a Munster fan is writing off his performance and calling him Average Dave....... :mrgreen:
Joking aside, if you look at Dave's try scoring record over the last couple of seasons he pretty much scores a try a game. His try scoring ratio to game time is way higher than, say, Larmour's. With his record and his defensive work if he was a 23 year old he'd be the next big thing and a banker for the Ireland squad.
Totally agree - huge Average Dave fan I am - he is proven consistent try scorer, hugely reliable defender and never lets us down. How he has so few caps for Ireland is a bit of a mystery to me. Suppose though like Ruddock Ireland's loss is Leinster's gain and we get to see more of him in blue.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Blueberry wrote: November 9th, 2020, 3:50 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Totally agree - huge Average Dave fan I am - he is proven consistent try scorer, hugely reliable defender and never lets us down. How he has so few caps for Ireland is a bit of a mystery to me. Suppose though like Ruddock Ireland's loss is Leinster's gain and we get to see more of him in blue.
Dave Kearney is a class act. Can honestly say ive not seen him have a bad game in years. Couldnt even remember the last time I saw him having a nightmare. He just does exactly what he needs to. Make his tackles, fights in contact, good in the air, cleans out rucks when it had to be done and score tries. A nailed on starter in the big games.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Laighin Break wrote: November 8th, 2020, 10:04 pm As things currently stand, I'd go with Rhys back to 6 when the internationals return, and between Doris and Conan for the 8 jersey.
Agree... Rhys is def far more 6 than 8
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

the spoofer wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:59 am I thought that Ruddock, Murphy and Molony won the game for us. The three of them were absolute monsters and smashed the spirit out of the O's. Penny was really good and I'd be very sorry to see him go from Leinster. H Byrne had a tough day and will have more but he needs better service from his 9.

One of Sheehans overthrows looked on the money with the lift less than perfect, the other was just a little too much loft which was surprising as he has a flatter throw than most.
Yeah, I wondered if it was throwing or lifting was to blame
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:50 am Faz is trying to work Doris, Connors and possibly Baird into the Irish backrow and Stander is in great form too. He has a selection headache with easing POM out a little for younger players. Pulling guys out of games and into training camp, then parachuting in the guys who played well in those games is a recipe for bad squad morale.

Ruddock has a knock early in the season and it worked against him in terms of setting himself up.

If Ruddock keeps going he may force his way into the 6N squad.
Seems logical to me. It's hard to swap Stander out for anyone on current form.

Dave Kearney on the other hand, I think he should be dropped straight into the Green 11 jersey.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote: November 10th, 2020, 11:33 am
ronk wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:50 am Faz is trying to work Doris, Connors and possibly Baird into the Irish backrow and Stander is in great form too. He has a selection headache with easing POM out a little for younger players. Pulling guys out of games and into training camp, then parachuting in the guys who played well in those games is a recipe for bad squad morale.

Ruddock has a knock early in the season and it worked against him in terms of setting himself up.

Dave Kearney on the other hand, I think he should be dropped straight into the Green 11 jersey.
Ahead of James Lowe who has been in camp for weeks until he becomes eligible? Daly has been sitting in camp too waiting for a chance. Fair enough a coach can do that if the guys aren’t doing it in training.

It’s also hard on Hugo Keenan.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote: November 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm
Peg Leg wrote: November 10th, 2020, 11:33 am

Ahead of James Lowe who has been in camp for weeks until he becomes eligible? Daly has been sitting in camp too waiting for a chance. Fair enough a coach can do that if the guys aren’t doing it in training.

It’s also hard on Hugo Keenan.
Scratch that, I have mixed up wings. I would put him on on the opposite wing at the expense of Conway and shift Keenan to 15, Lowe/Stockdale to duke it out for the 11 jersey.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Not sure Conway needs ‘shifting’ ??
But agree Keenan to 15 with Lowe/Stockdale for other wing ( and maybe Stockdale needs a bit if a break)

But as it is , for the Wales game,the starting 15 has 11 Leinster players