A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Enjoyed that!!!
Probably because It was a bit of a game for 60 mins
Good test and i think we’ll need it going to scarlets next week who by watching ulster game will be our biggest test since Glasgow away (probably better opposition)

Scrappy at times but scrum again was very strong
Ruddock, Bent, Baird (still carrying a bit high) pick of the pack

Lukey Mc looks very sharp...Harry B mixed bag but had some sublime stuff
Frawley a bit quiet but did ok at times
DK looks so sharp and like I’ve said before JOB looks like a guy who from all these games will be close to H Cup 15/23
CK was decent but caught out defensively a couple of times

Penny monster off the bench along with Milne

Next week is a big game for this group
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

riocard911 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:31 pm Apologies for speaking facts that some of you may have not been ready for yet it looks like I left a lot of you speechless
Pipe down a bit, would you, in ainm Dé?

No one here is suggesting giving Harry a leg up at the expense of Hawkshaw. The suggestion inherent in your posts, that Leo Cullen and his coaching staff might be doing that, is unfounded, insulting and nonsensical.

Trying to portray your fellow interlocutors on this forum as dummies unwilling to accept your all-seeing wisdom is delusional to say the least. Most of us here have been following rugby since before you were even born. Productive and for all parties enjoyable conversation involves not just spouting off, but also listening. That is something you need to work on, IMO.
Yeah fair sorry
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Apologies for the provocative answers won’t happen again
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm
blaker wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:00 pm I’m not a regular visitor / poster here anymore - what’s the crack with the Pilot? Auto-block?
I’ll stop
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

It looked to me like Frawley went in to play 10 with Harry at 12 for a while during the second half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:11 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:02 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm

Baird, Keenan and Connors have 1 game a piece in the HC, and that was in a poor display against Saracens. Not sure what you make of that?
I thought Connors and Baird had good games and by virtue of them making the team it showed they were good enough to make it into a team that was good enough to play in a Heineken cup quarter final. They also played and won the playoffs in the Pro14, which is a step up from playing regular season games during the international window.

If you can’t prove you can make your provincal team when it counts why would you get capped? Let the likes of Harry Byrne earn his cap.

Would you disagree?
I am not trying to argue that these players shouldn’t be capped, just stating that applying the metric that you have to show “that you are playing well in European Cup games to be considered for Ireland ” and then stating that a single game or in 2 of the 3 examples less than one game is a bit off the wall.

Put it this way, If Connors hadn’t played those 53 mins should he have been discredited?

I agree with the sentiment that the European cup is the training ground for international players, but I disagree with the applied metrics.
So yes and no, it’s not that he should be in the pictures because if those 53 minutes but also I’m taking into account what he did to earn the chance to play those 53 minutes, those performances to get the 7 shirt for a Heineken cup quarter final. He wasn’t given those minutes by luck, if he hadn’t of taken the 7 shirt from VDF I’d of started VDF for Ireland.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:16 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:11 pm

I thought Connors and Baird had good games and by virtue of them making the team it showed they were good enough to make it into a team that was good enough to play in a Heineken cup quarter final. They also played and won the playoffs in the Pro14, which is a step up from playing regular season games during the international window.

If you can’t prove you can make your provincal team when it counts why would you get capped? Let the likes of Harry Byrne earn his cap.

Would you disagree?
I am not trying to argue that these players shouldn’t be capped, just stating that applying the metric that you have to show “that you are playing well in European Cup games to be considered for Ireland ” and then stating that a single game or in 2 of the 3 examples less than one game is a bit off the wall.

Put it this way, If Connors hadn’t played those 53 mins should he have been discredited?

I agree with the sentiment that the European cup is the training ground for international players, but I disagree with the applied metrics.
So yes and no, it’s not that he should be in the pictures because if those 53 minutes but also I’m taking into account what he did to earn the chance to play those 53 minutes, those performances to get the 7 shirt for a Heineken cup quarter final. He wasn’t given those minutes by luck, if he hadn’t of taken the 7 shirt from VDF I’d of started VDF for Ireland.
I think we are largely in agreement.

I do think that players must learn and prove themselves at HC level, in general that would be over a number of games at that level as opposed to a small number of minutes.

In Connors case like with Keenan, he had proven himself over a number of games, and tool the starting jersey.

If Leinster didn’t play in the Knockout stages of the HC, Connors would still have been considered based on what he had done in the league.

This is not a big issue. I just think it is stupid to apply set metrics when it comes to selection. If a player is good enough then they are good enough.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:12 pm Apologies for the provocative answers won’t happen again
Fair play - upwards and onwards!!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Serb wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:45 pm Another try from future Munster man Scott Penny. Think that equals the Pro14 record of 7 BP wins in a row (assuming Leinster don’t somehow bottle the win).
Is this really on the cards ??
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

alanair wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:34 pm
Serb wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:45 pm Another try from future Munster man Scott Penny. Think that equals the Pro14 record of 7 BP wins in a row (assuming Leinster don’t somehow bottle the win).
Is this really on the cards ??
Is water wet?
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm
Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
Thought that was the obvious, the pro14 is unchallenged for Leinster our academy starting 15 would probably win most games. You have to at least be playing well in European cup games to be considered for Ireland.
Baird, Keenan and Connors have 1 game a piece in the HC, and that was in a poor display against Saracens. Not sure what you make of that?

Would you disagree?
This is like Johann van Graan selecting the Leinster team - I really wouldn’t engage
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm I’m not saying Hawkshaw should start next week, maybe sub I’m just saying you can’t make a player start a run of games for the sake of it regardless of how he plays. That’s not fair logic. I understand you want H Byrne to develop confidence incase he gets called up to a European game but my point is nobody owns the jersey
I can’t believe what I’m reading here , Pilotman advocating for former Belvo boy... whatever next :D
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

And in the absence of a Scarlets-Leinster thread.....
Scarlets were really good V ULS. Tonight ...but for several unforced errors and badly missed penalties , they should have won...

We’ll have to be sensible in selections for next week ... no experiments etc..
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cardiff are the first non-Irish Pro XIV team I've seen in two years who are improving faster than Leinster.

Despite the scoreline that was as tough an encounter as any Leinster team we have fielded have faced in this league for a couple of years and they will improve further. Scarlets under Pivac were the last team from Wales to run at us without fear. It will be interesting to see where they can get to.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

alanair wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:47 pm And in the absence of a Scarlets-Leinster thread.....
Scarlets were really good V ULS. Tonight ...but for several unforced errors and badly missed penalties , they should have won...

We’ll have to be sensible in selections for next week ... no experiments etc..
They should of beaten Munster too and they are the only Pro14 team we haven’t beaten since our unbeaten run began.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

alanair wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:42 pm
Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm I’m not saying Hawkshaw should start next week, maybe sub I’m just saying you can’t make a player start a run of games for the sake of it regardless of how he plays. That’s not fair logic. I understand you want H Byrne to develop confidence incase he gets called up to a European game but my point is nobody owns the jersey
I can’t believe what I’m reading here , Pilotman advocating for former Belvo boy... whatever next :D
He’s a really exciting prospect was great at schools level and u20s and wanna see what he’s like at pro14 level who doesn’t? Him and Silvester are both exciting prospects imo but I understand there’s no need to rush Hawkshaw in as he’s just back from injury.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Appeal to the mods: this thread is a shiite show - is there any way to tidy it up?

I dropped in here to test the temperature of reactions but I can hardly find anything about the actual performance(s).

All I can see is pages of an argument between a Munster wum and some of our regulars, and cluster bomb of posts from a guy on most people's blocked lists.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Anyone see JOBs injury?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Some players out there who are very close to the internationals.

Cardiff were competitive but Leinster can do damage if you let them. I thought Cardiff’s line speed wasn’t great at times and that made life easier. But they tackled well and didn’t leave many gaps.

They caused a fair bit of chaos but McGrath cleaned up a lot.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:52 pm Brilliant stuff from Tracy. A hooker on hooker race to the line and he smoked yer man!
Incredible sequence.

So much great hustle from Tracy today.
Last edited by ronk on November 23rd, 2020, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.