Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:30 pm Anyone see JOBs injury?
I thought that Jimmy got accidentally kicked in the head in more or less his first contact, right at the start of the game. He ran a kick return back up the middle of the field and then looked like he slipped badly when he went to change direction, his feet went from under him and he careened into a Cardiff's player's knee.

I could be completely off about that being the cause of him being taken off at half-time, but it certainly happened.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:40 pm Some players out there who are very close to the internationals.

Cardiff were competitive but Leinster can do damage if you let them. I thought Cardiff’s line speed wasn’t great at times and that made life easier. But they tackled well and didn’t leave many gaps.

They caused a fair bit of chaos but McGrath cleaned up a lot.
I was impressed with Cardiff. They were much more committed, better organised and grittier than any of the other teams that have visited the RDS this season, and they also showed some very slick handling in terms of their ability to move the ball wing-to-wing.

So I was really impressed that we were able to go out and put 40 points on them. We kept on sowing it into them right until the final whistle. We had a big battle on our hands to get that fourth try ... and then when we got it, we didn't ease up. The job was done, but we went after them again. Such a great attitude and a pleasure to watch.

I was very happy to see the 'Pack of the Future' on the pitch at the end of the game and getting us so much go-forward ball in the tight quarters - Milne [b.1999], Sheehan [b.1998], Clarkson [b.2000], Baird [b.1999], Dunne [b.1998], Penny [b.1999].
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

There was a point in the second half where Cardiff made a linebreak on the near wing, the ball went back in to the scrumhalf who must have seen Ryan Baird bearing down on him so he just flung the ball to no one and it went forward. Baird has some speed, was catching up on their scrumhalf no problem.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:40 pm Some players out there who are very close to the internationals.

Cardiff were competitive but Leinster can do damage if you let them. I thought Cardiff’s line speed wasn’t great at times and that made life easier. But they tackled well and didn’t leave many gaps.

Not sure I'd agree with that, I thought the standard of the game was pretty poor. There was a lot of positive commentary on Cardiff who definitely tried hard but the reality is they shipped 40 points against our 2nd/3rd team and we had around 80% of territory and over 70% possession.

Thought Harry Byrne and Ruddock had average games by their recent standards and it was a bit odd that we had 2 outhalves on the pitch and we kept it tight for most of the game. On the plus side, Dave Kearney just keeps scoring our Leinster whatsapp group has a game by game lottery on what minute Dave is going to score! His defence is also excellent. As you say McGrath had a very good game too.

I continue to be impressed by Baird, Milne, O'Brien and Murphy but I think that game and the players playing were a long way off international standard. It honestly felt like a training run, from the beginning we didn't even consider taking points it was a race for the bonus point, the team didn't even seem to consider the possibility that they wouldn't win the game.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:25 pm

Not sure I'd agree with that, I thought the standard of the game was pretty poor. There was a lot of positive commentary on Cardiff who definitely tried hard but the reality is they shipped 40 points against our 2nd/3rd team and we had around 80% of territory and over 70% possession.

Thought Harry Byrne and Ruddock had average games by their recent standards and it was a bit odd that we had 2 outhalves on the pitch and we kept it tight for most of the game. On the plus side, Dave Kearney just keeps scoring our Leinster whatsapp group has a game by game lottery on what minute Dave is going to score! His defence is also excellent. As you say McGrath had a very good game too.

I continue to be impressed by Baird, Milne, O'Brien and Murphy but I think that game and the players playing were a long way off international standard. It honestly felt like a training run, from the beginning we didn't even consider taking points it was a race for the bonus point, the team didn't even seem to consider the possibility that they wouldn't win the game.
I didn’t mean it was international standard. I meant that a fair few players are playing at a competitive level with guys in the squad already.

After a run of games Dooley will be competitive with Ed Byrne and hence is in the international mix.
Tracy is playing well and can’t be far behind the guys there now.
Bent isn’t going to get a call but I’d not be concerned to see him there relative to Bealham or Ryan.
Baird will be international again soon, Toner would be if he was younger.
Ruddock, Leavy and Penny are very good.
Luke McGrath is up there obviously.
Some people think Harry Byrne should be getting a shot (I don’t think he’s ready).
Dave Kearney could be picked easily and given the rise of Keenan, I could see JOB also bolting. He’s the baller we might need.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

hugonaut wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:51 am

I was impressed with Cardiff. They were much more committed, better organised and grittier than any of the other teams that have visited the RDS this season, and they also showed some very slick handling in terms of their ability to move the ball wing-to-wing.

So I was really impressed that we were able to go out and put 40 points on them. We kept on sowing it into them right until the final whistle. We had a big battle on our hands to get that fourth try ... and then when we got it, we didn't ease up. The job was done, but we went after them again. Such a great attitude and a pleasure to watch.

I was very happy to see the 'Pack of the Future' on the pitch at the end of the game and getting us so much go-forward ball in the tight quarters - Milne [b.1999], Sheehan [b.1998], Clarkson [b.2000], Baird [b.1999], Dunne [b.1998], Penny [b.1999].
+1
Spot on, Hugonaut