EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: December 8th, 2020, 4:05 pm
wixfjord wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:40 pm Kelleher deserves a shot imo. He has been consistent for quite a while now, looks hungry and aggressive and scores tries. I'd like to see him get a shot.
I am really wary about starting Cian.
Ha. This totally confused me.
An effusive paragraph about Cian Kelleher and his deserving to start, and then this.

Both Healy and Porter were flogged by the IRFU. Healy could do maybe do with a break, but we will need to make sure we select the right lock and scrummaging hooker to support Dooley. You can imagine Bismarck or Guirado teaming with whichever tighthead starts (probably Houas) to have a go.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

brenno wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:09 pm Anybody know if this is available on Now TV, Google search says BT Sport is available on a Now TV pass, but nothing on the Now TV listings. If not any suggestions on how to watch the game
In recent months I've found Viprow.me to be highly reliable for all Pro 14, Heino and Test matches.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Here's the highlights of the Montpellier victory vs Clermont away last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Bp0H7QEWQ&t=5s
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:24 pm
brenno wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:09 pm Anybody know if this is available on Now TV, Google search says BT Sport is available on a Now TV pass, but nothing on the Now TV listings. If not any suggestions on how to watch the game
In recent months I've found Viprow.me to be highly reliable for all Pro 14, Heino and Test matches.
Thanks for that, looks like it will fit the bill
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I haven't seen it anywhere but does anyone know will there be any supporters at the game on Saturday? Have any of the French games had fans in attendance so far this season?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I took up a 3-month offer with NowTV for both Sky Sports and BT a few months ago. It's a little confusing as the Sky and BT Sports packages are listed separately. Sky Sports is classified as "Sports" while BT/Premier Sports are classified as "Sports Extra".
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:11 pm I haven't seen it anywhere but does anyone know will there be any supporters at the game on Saturday? Have any of the French games had fans in attendance so far this season?
There won't be fans this weekend.
There were fans before France entered its second lockdown - I even tried to get tickets to a Bordeaux game in August but I guess it was only season ticket holders (about 5000 IIRC).
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:00 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:11 pm I haven't seen it anywhere but does anyone know will there be any supporters at the game on Saturday? Have any of the French games had fans in attendance so far this season?
There won't be fans this weekend.
There were fans before France entered its second lockdown - I even tried to get tickets to a Bordeaux game in August but I guess it was only season ticket holders (about 5000 IIRC).
I knew you'd know CE. Just didn't want to put you directly on the spot :wink:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Hard to predict if they’ll get fans back before Easter.
In France, like here in Belgium and a few other places, they’re way down from the infection peak but plateauing at a level that’s way too high.
That said, the clubs are very powerful there, so you can imagine they will be pushing for it as soon as they can get it.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

No doubt this game has been on the radar of the coaching staff for a long time. It really is the key game so I am sure all possible permutations have been considered.

Pitch is usually very heavy this time of year but we know it well from previous trips.

Not the place for too much youth but would like to see Frawley and Henshaw in midfield,
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Blue not red blood wrote: December 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm Pitch is usually very heavy this time of year but we know it well from previous trips.
It's been used once since 25 October and looked in good nick for that game two weeks ago.
Rain forecast the next two days but dry on Saturday. I don't think the pitch should be an issue.
They are planning to put in a synthetic covering I think - not sure if that is certain or when.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

cormac wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:15 pm
I took up a 3-month offer with NowTV for both Sky Sports and BT a few months ago. It's a little confusing as the Sky and BT Sports packages are listed separately. Sky Sports is classified as "Sports" while BT/Premier Sports are classified as "Sports Extra".
Jeez that is confusing, and you have to go into the fourth page of Now TV's Sports Extra listings to find the BT/Premier rugby. Have to do the sums now as to whether its Now TV or the VPN route through viprow.me - I'm only going to be watching rugby so have to work out whether to get day passes for Now TV or take out a longer sub
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It's on bt sport 3
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

brenno wrote: December 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Jeez that is confusing, and you have to go into the fourth page of Now TV's Sports Extra listings to find the BT/Premier rugby. Have to do the sums now as to whether its Now TV or the VPN route through viprow.me - I'm only going to be watching rugby so have to work out whether to get day passes for Now TV or take out a longer sub
Sorted - Now TV has a two month for one month special offer - €34 - will cover the first four rounds, way better than day passes at €10 a pop
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

brenno wrote: December 9th, 2020, 4:24 pm
brenno wrote: December 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Sorted - Now TV has a two month for one month special offer - €34 - will cover the first four rounds, way better than day passes at €10 a pop
You also get the added bonus of ADO Den Haag v Vitesse Arnhem in the Eredvisie and Traktor Plovdiv v Torshavn in the Europa League. I cancelled my premium sports subscriptions when Sky Sports started showing "e-sports" (i.e. computer games). In order to watch champions cup and pro 14 as well as premier league you need BT, Sky, Premier Sports, Virgin Sports and Eir Sports...about €60/70 extra per month. There is probably enough actual content to support maybe 3 channels, particularly now the TV companies have spread fixtures out across the weekend (and week days).
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:29 pm Here's the highlights of the Montpellier victory vs Clermont away last weekend:

Couple of big scrums there from Montpellier, they are a massive team. Without Furlong and potentially no Porter and Healy due to being absolutely flogged (same goes for Ryan who looked beat at the end of the series) we could be in trouble. Was it really necessary to crucify those boys in a 3rd/4th place play off in a tournament nobody really cares about? We are supposed to be 3 deep in every position, the way Andrew was used was absolutely ridiculous. Similarly, there's a starting Lions prop at Ulster and yet Healy was overplayed at the age of 33.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 10th, 2020, 10:31 am
riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:29 pm Here's the highlights of the Montpellier victory vs Clermont away last weekend:

Couple of big scrums there from Montpellier, they are a massive team. Without Furlong and potentially no Porter and Healy due to being absolutely flogged (same goes for Ryan who looked beat at the end of the series) we could be in trouble. Was it really necessary to crucify those boys in a 3rd/4th place play off in a tournament nobody really cares about? We are supposed to be 3 deep in every position, the way Andrew was used was absolutely ridiculous. Similarly, there's a starting Lions prop at Ulster and yet Healy was overplayed at the age of 33.
Jack McGrath is injured.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is kicking off at 5.30 our time btw.

Might be worth changing the thread title.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

D4surfer wrote: December 10th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: December 10th, 2020, 10:31 am

Jack McGrath is injured.
Yes I know, the point is that he (or someone else on rotation) wasn't named in the original squad and that we hung our hats on guys like Healy, Porter, Stander etc. Unfortunately, in terms of development we got the stage where the coach was picking teams to win matches not develop the squad (unlike France).

I'd also argue that from an Irish rugby general good perspective the selection was damaging. On the one hand depth development on one or two key positions such as prop or outhalf hasn't really evolved. At the same time critical players in critical European games have been flogged - Porter, Ryan, Stander, Doris, Sexton. 1 new cap in the matchday squad for a meaningless dead rubber against Scotland is an odd way to develop a squad.

Getting off topic now but the matchday squad for Montpellier will be interesting.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The Montpelier 15 that played Clermont last week is a serious team.

Massive pack.

I think a win here would be a fantastic result, given our injuries and lack of time together.

Fitchen, Guirado, Haouas, Chalureau, Willemse, Ouedraogo, Camara, Du Plessis, Reinach, Foursans-Bourdette, Ngandebe, Vincent, Reilhac, Martin, Rattez

Du Plessis, Forletta, Lamositele, Janse Van Rensburg, Picamoles, Timu, Paillaugue, Tisseron

The 10 is 18 and 5'7 so will be interesting to see if he starts and we pick Connors to go after him. Lozowski is there too, as is Goosen, not sure if they're both injured. Pollard is.

Massive pack though and a serious pack bench to bring in.
Will be a huge test for our scrum and lineout.

From the very limited amount I've seen of Mont, Ngandebe is a player to watch out for. 5'8 winger, absolute livewire going forward but all over the place defensively.

Lots of 'gamebreaker' players there too with Reinach, Camara, Rattez, Martin etc.