EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

Post by Ruckedtobits »

344 Leinster caps among our 'reserve' front-row. Not exactly inexperienced. 320 Leinsre caps in our second-row. A mere 300 Leinster caps between our back-row. Over 700 Leinster caps on our bench.

I'd say we might have enough experience in this Squad.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Fireworks wrote: December 11th, 2020, 12:39 pm Might be a case if staying in touch until the bench is released. It looks like a funny selection but I assume they are managing the load on the returning internationals. Would worry about the 6/2 bench but I think RB can fill the 12 slot if needed and the rest of the backline have some flexibility.
Not sure about having Sexton in there instead of ROL if they're going for this 6-2 split thing. Frawley and even JOB could cover 10, but it leaves players out of position or big re-shuffles to cover other backline positions.

Wings are being covered by JGP, presumably. Fullback would be covered by HK moving there and the sh coming on on the wing or by CF moving to fullback with one of the 10s playing 12. 13 would be JOB to 13, Keenan to fb and JGP to the wing. 12 would be Byrne/Sexton filling in or Henshaw moving to 12, JOB to 13, Keenan to fb and JGP to wing.
Last edited by leinsterforever on December 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

double post
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

What a bench.
Hopefully the starting tight five can withstand the pressure of Montpellier in the scrum and lineout until they come on.

I had a feeling Van Rensburg would figure for Montpellier - having him at 6 shows they are clearly going to go after us in the set piece.
Also assumed they would go with Goosen or Lowoski at 10, rather than the kid they had their the last few weeks.
Not sure why Reinach isn't involved. A loss for them. Paillaugue is flaky.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Bouthier missing as well

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

"You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

The Heineken Cup was a beautiful tournament back in the day!

Remember the excitement when the pools were announced in the summer? Trying to get away trips booked before the airlines and hotels hiked up the prices. Working out the form of the opponents in the pool to see what the chances were. The massive crowds, the bad days and then the great days.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

That subs bench wouldn't look too unusual in a Lions test team against south africa.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Barry wrote: December 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm Bouthier missing as well

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
He did his knee a few weeks ago: was never in contention.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Excited to see Frawley at 12 and O'Brien at 15.

Less excited to see that pack. I think we look underpowered up front, but I fully understand why they have done it.

Will be fun to see us play a match we are not favorites for, for a change.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Do you thing Harry has good reason to be disappointed not to be involved. Did well while his brother was off with Ireland not having the best of time.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I think this is a huge game for R.Byrne. It hasn't gone well in a green shirt for him where as it's gone well for his brother in a blue shirt. A poor performance here could see his brother overtake him.

It's all about the tight 5 really, can they survive 50/60 mins till the reinforcements arrive.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm That subs bench wouldn't look too unusual in a Lions test team against south africa.
You're right!

I'm delighted with that selection, didn't agree with those saying that the Ireland guys should come straight back in. They've been flogged over the last month or so and I'd much rather take a long term view on them. Plus the players who have been playing have been doing really well and it mitigates the lack of cohesion somewhat. That doesn't mean it'll work out, and I've a few concerns about the front five, but I think it's the right decision.

That said I'd have started Johnny and am a bit confused as to why he's on the bench. It's not like Ross has still been plugging away for Leinster and with Harry Byrne not playing for the A team I wonder if there's a doubt about Johnny. I can see Ross, Frawley, and JOB kicking a lot so that the pack aren't in a constant arm wrestle. Luke's kicking has been very good recently as well and even though I think he's playing well overall his passing looks very hesitant and that could be a big issue if we're dominated physically and could really exacerbate the lack of cohesion. JGP being able to increase the tempo will be just as important as all the brilliant carriers we have to come on.

Huge opportunity for Dooley and Frawley to put themselves in the shop window for Ireland and I hope they go really well. JOB too but the path probably isn't as clear for him even though there are problems at fullback.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

13 degrees and sunny in Mont tomorrow.

Should benefit us if we're looking to move them around.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Chris Boyd may get a slap on the wrists for his comment after the game "having lost this game at home and with this format, we'll probably just play our youngsters next week"
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Interesting selection from Leinster. A 6-2 split in the bench with Sexton is a bit odd as he doesn’t offer many options outside of 10, and Ross Byrne is an out and out 10 too.
Could be an issue if there are a couple of injuries in the backline.

Saying that, Leinster should have no problems tomorrow, I expect them to be ahead for the first 50 mins and then secure the BP once they empty the bench.
Good luck and enjoy.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Chances given to Ireland guys who were having mixed results in their selection battles. Hopefully they put in big games and put their names forward. Especially true for Josh.

6-2 split may be somewhat reflective of our depth position out wide but Kelleher will still be disappointed.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This game could end up with some interesting new positions for lads.

We've gone 6/2 split with a 9/10 on the bench.

Mont have gone 7/3 with no recognised scrumhalf. 33 year old Paillaugue might need to go the full whack.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I assume if Frawley/Henshaw get injured we'll see Byrne stay on and Johnny go to 12, which will certainly be interesting!

Will also be fascinating to see what we do from 5-8. Bringing on two second rows and Kelleher at same time might be too much upheaval, so wonder will we see Dev stay on and a pack of Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Baird, Leavy, Rhys at the end?

I do worry a little about our lack of carry in the pack. Only Doris/Rhys are really going to make yards there. In the backline too we really miss Lowe, Larmour and Ringer to give a bit of X Factor.

Murray K made a good point in his piece this morning that our front 5 will have been training together for this for three weeks now. Hopefully McBryde and Leo have then chewing nails and well prepped.

It's a big game for McBryde actually. Our pack were taken apart against Sarries. This is another massive challenge.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Jeepers, Clermont look good......
And in fairness the Bears are a good side......
which makes me think you'd need to be a really good team to beat Clermont :shock:

Somebody say something reassuring..... I'm starting to panic now! :D
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Clermont look good.

As good as they always look at this stage of the competition.
I have Bumbleflex