EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would certainly like to see Fardy & Toner start and also Leavy & Ruddock. McGrath and Henshaw are two more I want starting as with Dave K and Hugo K.

Bumps and bangs from Georgia & Scotland which not have had much public profile is an almost inevitable consequence of exiting National Camp and it would be strongly preferable that nobody is carrying any niggles into an away trip to France.

Tracy has earned the jersey and just maybe Cronin will accompany him leaving Kelleher to recover from a heavyweight two months in Abbotstown.

Who to put alongside Robbie Henshaw is a big call and maybe RO'L would be a suitable selection. Expecting another big performance from Doris might also be a step too far so possibly JVdF makes the starting line-up.

The one who concerns me most is Porter with Cian a close second. They have carried a heavy load for two months and need some R&R - but maybe one more week at the coalface is possible.

Ryan, Doris, Lowe, Porter / Bent and JGP as Bench options would give us a comfort blanket if needed. Add in Frawley, Dooley and Jimmy O'Brien and it looks like a game-changing reserve cast.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

BTW, the forecast for Fri / Sat in MontP is rain and 6-9C with northerly winds. This is not a French venue beloved of Leinster supporters like Toulouse or Bordeaux. Like Castres in mid-winter, this is a place where they value their home record, no outlook of welcoming their Irish visitors.

Leo knows about Montpellier and the attitude of their owner and Coaches is to stamp their identity deeply into their guests and leave you with something to take home.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:32 am Ryan was in good form for leinster IMO.

Irish form is worrying.
Agree. He looked exhausted, nervey and dare I say it a bit demoralised. He's one of our game changers so hopefully he will be back to his best.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Serb wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:10 pm Right, I guess I wasn’t clear — I meant in the match day 23. Would be nice to see Harry Byrne and Penny get selected to step up to the next level.
Ah, gotcha.

I don't think it'll happen. Penny is behind three(!) Irish internationals - indeed it wouldn't be massively surprising if neither of the players involved in the Autumn Series (JVDF and Connors) got a start with Leavy back fit and in good form. Penny is probably the player in Ireland in the toughest position selectorially at the moment - he's so good, but so are his rivals.

Harry might have a chance - it depends on how the coaches value what they have seen from him while his brother was away - I'd say he appears to be in better form than Ross, but Ross has been playing international rugby whilst the games Harry has been playing are of questionable quality and competitiveness
The outhalf spot is a tough one. Yes Ross has been with Ireland but he didn't really cover himself in glory - albeit with absolutely no protection against England. In the event that Frawley doesn't start they might chose him given that he covers multiple positions.

I'm sure the IRFU would love to see Ed Byrne fast tracked but not sure this is the game to do it. As you say, he's been in decent form but it's hard to tell given the Pro 14 standard this year.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leo Cullen has issued a squad update ahead of Saturday’s Heineken Champions Cup game away to Montpellier (KO 6.30pm – live on BT Sport and RTÉ Radio).

Cullen has confirmed that tighthead prop Ciarán Parker has returned to Jersey Reds after his loan deal came to an end.

In injury news, Jimmy O’Brien (back) and Johnny Sexton (dead leg) are expected to be available for selection this weekend.

Flanker Will Connors has completed the Graduated Return to Play Protocols having been unavailable for Ireland v Scotland and will be available against Montpellier.

Further assessment is required for Garry Ringrose (jaw) and James Lowe (groin) while James Ryan has entered the Graduated Return to Play Protocols after being removed for a HIA in Ireland’s win over Scotland. He will also be monitored as the week progresses.

Prop Ed Byrne injured his calf while on international duty and will not feature this weekend.

There is no further update on Tadhg Furlong (calf), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Jack Conan (neck), Max Deegan (knee), Jordan Larmour (shoulder), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring).
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

So, assuming Sexton, Jimmy and Connors make it while Ringer, Lowe and Ryan don't.

J O'Brien; Keenan, Henshaw, Frawley, Kearney; Sexton, McGrath/RTP; Healy, Tracy/Kelleher, Porter; Toner, Fardy/Baird; Ruddock, Connors/Leavy/VDF, Doris
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cormac wrote: December 7th, 2020, 3:20 pm So, assuming Sexton, Jimmy and Connors make it while Ringer, Lowe and Ryan don't.

J O'Brien; Keenan, Henshaw, Frawley, Kearney; Sexton, McGrath/RTP; Healy, Tracy/Kelleher, Porter; Toner, Fardy/Baird; Ruddock, Connors/Leavy/VDF, Doris
I concur!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

As much as I like Frawley, I would be nervous about starting at 12 away to Montpellier, for the first time with Sexton(?), with two rookies (JOB and Keenan). If neither Lowe nor Ringer makes it, I would probably for ROL.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:26 pm As much as I like Frawley, I would be nervous about starting at 12 away to Montpellier, for the first time with Sexton(?), with two rookies (JOB and Keenan). If neither Lowe nor Ringer makes it, I would probably for ROL.
Is O'Loughlin fit?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

curates_egg wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:26 pm As much as I like Frawley, I would be nervous about starting at 12 away to Montpellier, for the first time with Sexton(?), with two rookies (JOB and Keenan). If neither Lowe nor Ringer makes it, I would probably for ROL.
I'm not sure Keenan can be classified as a rookie any more. He's had a lot of high level minutes since the restart, including a good old Twickenham hosing, and his reputation is intact if not enhanced.

Frawley's attack is undeniable and his defence has not been found wanting yet, I think he's just what we need to unlock defences and he's a potential 6N bolter if he plays in this game and does well. I understand the reluctance to throw him into the Montpellier meat grinder but I suspect there's a lot of folk (and not just the Munster coaching ticket) itching to see what he can do in a high pressure game.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Montpellier, although languishing in the bottom five of the Top 14, have the seecond best defensive record in the league, despite suffering 7 defeats in their 10 games to date.

The key for Leinster is being competitive up front and not conceding soft points because of difference in interpretation, as happened Ireland in both our concluding 6N games in Sepember.

A winnable game but a poteential banana skin.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote: December 7th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Is O'Loughlin fit?
Is he not fit?
I thought he was due back a couple of weeks ago?

Not mentioned in the injury update yesterday.
Last edited by curates_egg on December 8th, 2020, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:08 am Montpellier, although languishing in the bottom five of the Top 14, have the seecond best defensive record in the league, despite suffering 7 defeats in their 10 games to date.

The key for Leinster is being competitive up front and not conceding soft points because of difference in interpretation, as happened Ireland in both our concluding 6N games in Sepember.

A winnable game but a poteential banana skin.
Fair point.

I really like the idea of Frawley at 12. I think it's the type of set up we need to be getting past those big rush defences that trouble us and Ireland.
I do wonder what it means for the 13 berth though. Frawley-Ringrose could be a bit lightweight, depending on who we are up against (also when you add Harry Byrne to the mix).
Henshaw looked very comfortable at 13 last weekend and, dare I say it, it gets more out of him.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Going on the training pics theory, Cian Kelleher is starting this.
Ringrose is also training.
Training pic theory also suggests Luke will start. And, despite my long-held preference for our Amish convert, I think Luke has earned it.
My guess:

9. Luke, 10. Sexton/Byrne, 11. Kelleher, 12teen Henrose, 14. Dave, 15. Keenan.

Not necessarily one for the hipsters, but I like it.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2020, 1:22 pm Going on the training pics theory, Cian Kelleher is starting this.
Ringrose is also training.
Training pic theory also suggests Luke will start. And, despite my long-held preference for our Amish convert, I think Luke has earned it.
My guess:

9. Luke, 10. Sexton/Byrne, 11. Kelleher, 12teen Henrose, 14. Dave, 15. Keenan.

Not necessarily one for the hipsters, but I like it.
Don't hate it. If Ringrose is ready he's got to play really. Luke has earned it. Kelleher is an interesting one, to be fair if we ever intend to give him a chance at European level this is the week to do it with all the injuries. I'd like to see Jimmy OB play but with his injury and Keenan definitely being a safer pair of hands in a tough away game you'd understand the call.

Anyway, we'll all see on Friday.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Kelleher deserves a shot imo. He has been consistent for quite a while now, looks hungry and aggressive and scores tries. I'd like to see him get a shot.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

think sexton won't make it IMO, no Ryan either.

Ross to start with Harry/Frawley on the bench
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:40 pm Kelleher deserves a shot imo. He has been consistent for quite a while now, looks hungry and aggressive and scores tries. I'd like to see him get a shot.
I think it's fair to say he is taken his chances (in both senses) over the past year. If not now, then never.
Given Jimmy O'B is also carrying a knock, I think that back three of Kellher-Keaney-Keenan has a lot to like, beyond the aliteration.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:40 pm Kelleher deserves a shot imo. He has been consistent for quite a while now, looks hungry and aggressive and scores tries. I'd like to see him get a shot.
I agree on Kelleher. I think he's been playing really well for us, he's a weapon with the ball in hand and his attitude in games [even the sort of uncompetitive games we have played recently] has been spot on.

I am really wary about starting Cian Healy*. I've never seen him play as badly as he did against Scotland. I think he has played too much rugby over the last two months and that nothing good will come of him starting against Montpellier [or even playing more than 15 minutes]. I would like to see us push Peter Dooley into the 65-70min zone for this one. It will be a very good test for him.

*EDIT: for clarity.
Last edited by hugonaut on December 8th, 2020, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Anybody know if this is available on Now TV, Google search says BT Sport is available on a Now TV pass, but nothing on the Now TV listings. If not any suggestions on how to watch the game