Leinster v Northampton 19/12 1PM

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Northampton 19/12 1PM

Post by wixfjord »

With Northampton seemingly sending the espoirs this should be a win with TBP potential.

Would imagine we might give Doris a rest.

Side I’d go for:

Dooley, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Leavy, VDF, Ruddock, McGrath, Sexton, Keenan, Frawley, Henshaw, DK, JOB

Tracy, Healy, Bent, Baird, Doris, JGP, Ross, Ringer

Could easily see a start for Josh M too though.

I really hope Dooley keeps his spot.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Northampton 19/12 1PM

Post by mildlyinterested »

i'd start HB.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

mildlyinterested wrote:i'd start HB.
I know Northampton are going to field a weakened team, but I still feel like we should play a strong team to guarantee the 5 points and also get the big guns playing together again — it’s our warmup to the Munster away game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The objective in this competition is to accumulate the maximum number of competition points. Why would we field anything other than our strongest team when we cannot know what any of our opponents are going to accumulate?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Harry is in better form at the moment, no harm in rewarding that. Not saying I'd start him if Johnny is fit, but if he isn't, then Harry should be next cab off the rank
I have Bumbleflex
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The objective in this competition is to accumulate the maximum number of competition points. Why would we field anything other than our strongest team when we cannot know what any of our opponents are going to accumulate?
Agreed but when standards are so high across the board we can reward good form.

Think I'd go with: Dooley, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Murphy, VDF, Doris, McGrath, Sexton, Kelleher, Frawley, Henshaw, Keegan, JO'B, Tracey, Healy, Bent, Toner, Ruddock, JGP, H Byrne, Leavy.

So many close calls and options.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

are they allowing crowds into the saints game next week?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:16 pm are they allowing crowds into the saints game next week?
No
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Today, our best front row appears to be `Dooley, Tracy, Bent.

Our best second row line up has Devin Toner in it and our best back row has Rhys and Doris in it.

Our best back line is O'Brien Keenan and Dave.

Some '1st' choice players have work to do.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

From the Northampton fans website it sounds like they don't hold out much hope for their team.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The match day 23 from the weekend came through the Montpellier game with no issues and are expected to train as normal this week with Scott Fardy’s knee injury not considered serious.

Johnny Sexton was a late withdrawal from the match day 23 against Montpellier as his dead leg tightened after the captain’s run on Friday evening at GGL Stadium. He will be further assessed this week before a final decision is made on his inclusion.

Garry Ringrose is in the final stages of his recovery from a jaw injury and will be further assessed over the week before a final decision is made.

Unfortunately there was bad news for centre Conor O’Brien who injured his ACL last week in training and is due to have a procedure as a result.

There was no new update on the following players who all remain unavailable for selection:

Ed Byrne (calf), James Lowe (groin), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Jack Conan (neck), Max Deegan (knee), Jordan Larmour (shoulder), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring).
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 14th, 2020, 2:13 pm The match day 23 from the weekend came through the Montpellier game with no issues and are expected to train as normal this week with Scott Fardy’s knee injury not considered serious.

Johnny Sexton was a late withdrawal from the match day 23 against Montpellier as his dead leg tightened after the captain’s run on Friday evening at GGL Stadium. He will be further assessed this week before a final decision is made on his inclusion.

Garry Ringrose is in the final stages of his recovery from a jaw injury and will be further assessed over the week before a final decision is made.

Unfortunately there was bad news for centre Conor O’Brien who injured his ACL last week in training and is due to have a procedure as a result.

There was no new update on the following players who all remain unavailable for selection:

Ed Byrne (calf), James Lowe (groin), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Jack Conan (neck), Max Deegan (knee), Jordan Larmour (shoulder), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring).
Really worried for Vakh, hopefully he makes a full recovery.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 13th, 2020, 4:51 pm Harry is in better form at the moment, no harm in rewarding that. Not saying I'd start him if Johnny is fit, but if he isn't, then Harry should be next cab off the rank
The BT Sports guys were raving about Ross Byrne, I have to say I didn't see it. In the period up to the cross field kick for Dave's try he was really poor in my opinion and he was kicking badly from tee and hand (normal an excellent part of his game).

I'm not sure Ross is the answer so we do need to create alternatives, Ordinarily with a full strength team, we'd probably put 50 points on a weakened Saints team so why not see what he can do?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Gutted for Conor O’Brien. An ACL injury will lay him out for quite a while now. Really a bad run of injuries for him atm.

Hopefully getting them all out of the way in one go. Rest up chap!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 13th, 2020, 4:51 pm Harry is in better form at the moment, no harm in rewarding that. Not saying I'd start him if Johnny is fit, but if he isn't, then Harry should be next cab off the rank
The BT Sports guys were raving about Ross Byrne, I have to say I didn't see it. In the period up to the cross field kick for Dave's try he was really poor in my opinion and he was kicking badly from tee and hand (normal an excellent part of his game).

I'm not sure Ross is the answer so we do need to create alternatives, Ordinarily with a full strength team, we'd probably put 50 points on a weakened Saints team so why not see what he can do?
Completely agree - his crossfield kick was nice but he missed a couple of kicks at goal and a penalty kick to touch. At half time BOD said he had been really impressive and they showed a short 'highlight reel' of him which contained the crossfield kick (fair enough) and 3 or 4 very basic passes to back this up.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ditto completely agree. Harry's right side touchline conversion of JO'B's try at the end was impressive. Also his break up the middle with JO'B was an example of the stuff he can do. The BPV away vs MON and our unbeaten run in the Rabo gives the coaches enormous leeway in terms of selection between now and the start of the 6 Nations. I imagine and certainly hope, those weren't the last points or minutes HB will accrue in Europe this season...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 13th, 2020, 3:11 pm The objective in this competition is to accumulate the maximum number of competition points. Why would we field anything other than our strongest team when we cannot know what any of our opponents are going to accumulate?
What is our strongest team though? I don't just mean in terms of form (Dooley over Healy for example) but also in terms of guys who might benefit from a break or non internationals who are just hungrier and also part of a cohesive unit.

The set piece has to be the big work on for this week, and probably between now and the 6N. So I'd pick a pack with that in mind in whatever way the coaches think would be good for sorting it out in the medium term.

Baird is one guy I'd like to see start though, he must be raring to go and a home game against a weakened Northampton seems like the perfect time to give him a big role. I'd like Penny on the bench too, think he's playing really well and has earned it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Northampton might be sending over the kids (again). In a relegation battle or something. Thank gawd we dont have that. :lol:
#shutthetrapdoor
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

riocard911 wrote:Ditto completely agree. Harry's right side touchline conversion of JO'B's try at the end was impressive. Also his break up the middle with JO'B was an example of the stuff he can do. The BPV away vs MON and our unbeaten run in the Rabo gives the coaches enormous leeway in terms of selection between now and the start of the 6 Nations. I imagine and certainly hope, those weren't the last points or minutes HB will accrue in Europe this season...
Jaysus, the Rabo Image but totally agree in terms of Ross Byrne not being the answer. I know he has his fans here, and there’s the whole guiding us through other European games, but I’m not a big fan of him personally and bar the Ulster quarter final, I don’t think he’s been particularly tested in any European games.

I’d love to see Harry make the bench ahead of Ross (assuming Sexton is fit). He’s definitely more of a risk taker than his brother, so we’d be trading off the reliable / predictable for the X factor / potentially costly mistake but 30 mins against this Northampton team isn’t likely to be too risky.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The temptation to name an unchanged 23 with some minor adjustments must be huge
Sexton needs to get those tight "whatever they ares" sorted.
Healy and Porter need some more recovery time too.
Perhaps move Doris to the bench and start Baird at 6 with Ruddock at 8 might be a worthwhile experiment.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.