Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by Keith »

I'm really not understanding this at all. Why did they postpone/cancel the match before the results came back? I find it amazing how many rugby matches are being affected by this in comparison to soccer, which has way, way more players playing twice a week.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm not sure why people are finding this difficult. Both teams have to provide a set of negative tests by a certain deadline in order for the game to go ahead. One team didn't, so no game.
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

With all the renewed panic over the Kent, Kawasaki, Navan, South African, Nigerian mutant virus strain the testing system was busier than the Amazon delivery drivers so no doubt this caused the delay......hence delayed test results and the lads with the clipboards and high viz vests didn't get them in time and that was that.

But on the bright side we can now spend all of tomorrow reading Munster Fans forum as they speculate by how many points the unbeatable liginds would have beaten Leinster by along with the conspiracy theories about Leinster chickening out after Munster's miracle match v7 v Clermont when they came back from 27-0 down in the last 5 minutes to win with a length of the pitch maul in the 89th minute by CJ on his own....after a POM hat trick....and of course 4 sideline conversions from JJ....
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 25th, 2020, 11:12 am I'm not sure why people are finding this difficult. Both teams have to provide a set of negative tests by a certain deadline in order for the game to go ahead. One team didn't, so no game.
That's not the bit that people are finding difficult I would imagine. The bit they are finding difficult is the how part of that.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hold on we haven't got the tests back yet, let's stall the ball until they are back.......
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: December 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 25th, 2020, 11:12 am I'm not sure why people are finding this difficult. Both teams have to provide a set of negative tests by a certain deadline in order for the game to go ahead. One team didn't, so no game.
That's not the bit that people are finding difficult I would imagine. The bit they are finding difficult is the how part of that.
We'll never know the how (not sure we have any right to either) of this situation, but there could be any number of reasons for it, many of them are even 'fault free'.
Blueberry wrote: December 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm Hold on we haven't got the tests back yet, let's stall the ball until they are back.......
Until when? The ball was already stalled at the deadline that both teams knew about and have worked to since rugby returned. These things aren't arbitrary - there is an overhead in terms of time and cost to set up a stadium for a match at this level, especially in these circumstances, even without fans.
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Probably a TV deadline was the final decision maker.....but sure we will never know, just hugely disappointing for all the Munster fans as the game was a foregone conclusion after the sack of Clermont. Suspect Leo just chickened out.......sure they can beat us in the new year !!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

munster#1 wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:32 pm Would probably make more sense to award the win to the team did not have Covid.

This is unlikely to be the last postponement, and the season is already fairly condensed.
So that’s 4/5 points to BOTH. Teams then ???
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

The point people are making is that the deadline in this case is just an idea, an arbitrary line in the sand. It’s not like Cinderella where at the deadline the cartridge turned back into a pumpkin. They could of proceeded knowing there was a risk they would have to cancel in several hours after they completed what had to be done. It’s a game of rugby in an empty stadium after all. Hope this helps you understand why people find it difficult.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

alanair wrote: December 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:32 pm Would probably make more sense to award the win to the team did not have Covid.

This is unlikely to be the last postponement, and the season is already fairly condensed.
So that’s 4/5 points to BOTH. Teams then ???
The fans of the team that doesn't win...

Looks like we'll both be mowing Flanders' lawn in our wives' Sunday best.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

But that's just it. The deadline is not an arbitrary line in the sand where a decision floats off the decision tree.
It was probably a zoom call set up a few days previous when they got the original results, with a bunch of senior people who didn't want to be working Christmas eve. And Leinster were told have your 2nd results by then. And Leinster might not have been able to say when they would be getting the results because of the backlog.
It's unfortunate that its played out the way it has, but its not hard for me to see why.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

heno wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:20 am But that's just it. The deadline is not an arbitrary line in the sand where a decision floats off the decision tree.
It was probably a zoom call set up a few days previous when they got the original results, with a bunch of senior people who didn't want to be working Christmas eve. And Leinster were told have your 2nd results by then. And Leinster might not have been able to say when they would be getting the results because of the backlog.
It's unfortunate that its played out the way it has, but its not hard for me to see why.

But that’s not a real deadline, the call could of been pushed back a few hours and people could of stayed on and worked a bit later to get it over the line. The real deadline as in the point at which it had to be pulled was the time the bus was due to leave Dublin, well maybe not that late but certainly not couple days before. Senior people not wanting to work late Xmas eve isint a good enough reason.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Jonny tight lips wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:14 pm
heno wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:20 am But that's just it. The deadline is not an arbitrary line in the sand where a decision floats off the decision tree.

But that’s not a real deadline, the call could of been pushed back a few hours and people could of stayed on and worked a bit later to get it over the line. The real deadline as in the point at which it had to be pulled was the time the bus was due to leave Dublin, well maybe not that late but certainly not couple days before. Senior people not wanting to work late Xmas eve isint a good enough reason.
The real deadline is the deadline set by the governing body. They set out the rules and everyone agrees to abide by them. I suspect nobody here knows if the call could have been pushed back or not
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I see conspiracy theories are flying around munster fans. Apparently we faked the failed Covid tests because, a) we were struggling to fill the last two bench slots, and b) we think we have a better chance of winning during the 6N. The story we're giving isn't credible, and all of us "should be ashamed of ourselves" for the duplicity.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm I see conspiracy theories are flying around munster fans. Apparently we faked the failed Covid tests because, a) we were struggling to fill the last two bench slots, and b) we think we have a better chance of winning during the 6N. The story we're giving isn't credible, and all of us "should be ashamed of ourselves" for the duplicity.
Read that.

Absolutely bonkers.

How could someone be that stupid?!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:54 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm I see conspiracy theories are flying around munster fans. Apparently we faked the failed Covid tests because, a) we were struggling to fill the last two bench slots, and b) we think we have a better chance of winning during the 6N. The story we're giving isn't credible, and all of us "should be ashamed of ourselves" for the duplicity.
Read that.

Absolutely bonkers.

Diet of turnip juice
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Ah feck them!

Anyway, all things being equal ........

yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

:happy clapper:
Blueberry wrote: December 25th, 2020, 11:40 am With all the renewed panic over the Kent, Kawasaki, Navan, South African, Nigerian mutant virus strain the testing system was busier than the Amazon delivery drivers so no doubt this caused the delay......hence delayed test results and the lads with the clipboards and high viz vests didn't get them in time and that was that.

But on the bright side we can now spend all of tomorrow reading Munster Fans forum as they speculate by how many points the unbeatable liginds would have beaten Leinster by along with the conspiracy theories about Leinster chickening out after Munster's miracle match v7 v Clermont when they came back from 27-0 down in the last 5 minutes to win with a length of the pitch maul in the 89th minute by CJ on his own....after a POM hat trick....and of course 4 sideline conversions from JJ....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Read that.

Absolutely bonkers.

I heard it repeated by very occasional Munster fans who bought it. What’s the world coming to.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

@Blueberry got closest with his first para. 110,000 tests done this week and huge pressure on results from HSE on all PCR testing venues to prioritise HSE results over private Tests, paricularly because of the variant.

Pro14 has black and white protocol about dates and times for Test results submission with no flexibility on delivery times. Otherwise, precedents would erode the protocol.

The fact that we got back negatives is irrelevant, because we had a confirmed postponement by that time.

We had substitutes named internally and submitted to Pro14 (you have to name who has been tested and confirm the results for named players). All theories that we couldn't field a Squad and wanted postponement are wide of the mark.