Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by wixfjord »

A lot of pre-emptive excuse making going on!

I think I can sense people being more fearful of Munster than we have been for a while.

Really looking forward to this one. We’ll need to step things up quite a bit.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Serb wrote: January 19th, 2021, 9:21 pm
munster#1 wrote:In fairness if Munster do manage to pull off an unlikely victory against a full strength Leinster then it would not be a stretch to say that Munster have made a return.
The win is more likely than not. A win won’t mean Munster have made a return, it would simply be a good but meaningless result. Munster will have made a return when they win something.
Leinster’s 1-23 will be stacked with internationals in some cases the players on Leinster’s bench would be considered better than their starting Munster counterpart. Leinster have gotten a BP in every game that they have played to date, and have had the better of Munster in nearly every game that they’ve played over the last decade.

If Munster win it will buck the trend.

If Munster win it backs up their impressive win against Clermont, and shows that they are capable of more than one off victories over the best teams in Europe.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Not sure what all the fuss is about. If Leinster play at 80% plus they will win. They are a much better side nearly everywhere....

Yes Munster are looking better than a year ago and good to see some local talent coming through but they haven't won shi*e all since 2011. Caelan Doris was in 1st year secondary school in double maths....it was that long ago.

Let's put the Munster glory parade on hold until they actually lift some silverware.........
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:08 pm A lot of pre-emptive excuse making going on!

I think I can sense people being more fearful of Munster than we have been for a while.

Should be a good game alright. Munster have looked better this season than they have in quite a while, albeit they were very strong under Erasmus as well [which isn't that long ago]. The great win against Clermont is the sort of victory that would give any team a sense of belief in their abilities.

I wonder how the bookies are seeing it?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:02 am I wonder how the bookies are seeing it?
It's a 3 point spread, with us as favourites.
https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union ... /handicaps
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Leinster are favourites and rightly so.
If Leinster pick their strongest squad bar the players who are injured, then on paper they should hammer Munster.

Leinster have the first and second choice Irish internationals in more than one position.

If Leinster lose it is because they have been poorly coached for this game, as the players available to Leo are rated much higher than the players available to Van Grann.

It is a big game for Munster, a win would see them comfortable at the top of their conference, and mean that they are likely in the final.
It may also mean that the final will be held in TP, depending how the rest of the season goes.

My team for this game would be:
Killer
Scannell
Archer
Beirne
Kleyn
Coombes
POM
Stander
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllande
Farrell
Earls
Daly

Replacements:
Cronin, KOB, Ryan, Wycherley, JOD, Casey, Healy, Scannell

However, I would love to see Josh Wycherley start this game for the exposure, but I think that there will be instructions from the puppeteers to start Killer.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:34 am Leinster are favourites and rightly so.
If Leinster pick their strongest squad bar the players who are injured, then on paper they should hammer Munster.

Leinster have the first and second choice Irish internationals in more than one position.

If Leinster lose it is because they have been poorly coached for this game, as the players available to Leo are rated much higher than the players available to Van Grann.

It is a big game for Munster, a win would see them comfortable at the top of their conference, and mean that they are likely in the final.
It may also mean that the final will be held in TP, depending how the rest of the season goes.

My team for this game would be:
Killer
Scannell
Archer
Beirne
Kleyn
Coombes
POM
Stander
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllande
Farrell
Earls
Daly

Replacements:
Cronin, KOB, Ryan, Wycherley, JOD, Casey, Healy, Scannell

However, I would love to see Josh Wycherley start this game for the exposure, but I think that there will be instructions from the puppeteers to start Killer.
:lol:
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

munster#1 wrote:
munster#1 wrote:In fairness if Munster do manage to pull off an unlikely victory against a full strength Leinster then it would not be a stretch to say that Munster have made a return.
The win is more likely than not. A win won’t mean Munster have made a return, it would simply be a good but meaningless result. Munster will have made a return when they win something.
Leinster’s 1-23 will be stacked with internationals in some cases the players on Leinster’s bench would be considered better than their starting Munster counterpart. Leinster have gotten a BP in every game that they have played to date, and have had the better of Munster in nearly every game that they’ve played over the last decade.

If Munster win it backs up their impressive win against Clermont, and shows that they are capable of more than one off victories over the best teams in Europe.
If that’s your bar, then great, you’re back. Munster beat a similar, pretty much full strength Leinster team in Thomond in 2018 though, I personally wouldn’t really see it as bucking a trend yet. I’d be looking for trophys personally if Leinster were in the same position.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Serb wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:43 am
munster#1 wrote:

If that’s your bar, then great, you’re back. Munster beat a similar, pretty much full strength Leinster team in Thomond in 2018 though, I personally wouldn’t really see it as bucking a trend yet. I’d be looking for trophys personally if Leinster were in the same position.
Well it would be a strong indication that munster are back at the races.

Given the anaemic nature of this season, I won’t be declaring that Munster are the best team in the league or Europe if they were to win either trophy.
But if we can regularly beat the best, then I think that that is a big step forward.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:34 am It may also mean that the final will be held in TP, depending how the rest of the season goes.
How do you make that out? Both Ulster and Leinster currently have more points than Munster.
Don't Munster still have to come play in the RDS also?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Avenger wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:18 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:34 am It may also mean that the final will be held in TP, depending how the rest of the season goes.
How do you make that out? Both Ulster and Leinster currently have more points than Munster.
If Munster win without Leinster getting a point it would put Munster level with Leinster, if Leinster win, then the chance is over IMO.

Munster have 2 games in hand on Ulster, this being one of them.

I have also indicated that it is dependent on the rest of the season, so I am not claiming that this game will be the deciding factor.

Has it been confirmed that Munster will face Leinster in Dublin?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Cause Munster are back so we have to play them in Thomond. It's a new rule as they are 'back'.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:29 pm
If Munster win without Leinster getting a point it would put Munster level with Leinster, if Leinster win, then the chance is over IMO.

I have also indicated that it is dependent on the rest of the season, so I am not claiming that this game will be the deciding factor.

Will only happen if the Rainbow Cup doesn't go ahead and if the organisers decide to go back to the full Pro1412 for the remainder of the season
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Xanthippe wrote: January 20th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Will only happen if the Rainbow Cup doesn't go ahead and if the organisers decide to go back to the full Pro1412 for the remainder of the season
That was my thinking also, but wasn’t sure if I had missed something.

I have a feeling that the Rainbow cup will go ahead with the SA teams moving to Ireland or the UK for the duration.

I think something similar will happen for the lions tour, but again that is based on what I think would work best rather than any info that I have received.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Xanthippe wrote: January 20th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Don't be comin in here with your sensible comments Xan.

There's a lota penis waving goin on. This is not for the likes of you :wink: :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:02 am
wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:08 pm A lot of pre-emptive excuse making going on!

Should be a good game alright. Munster have looked better this season than they have in quite a while, albeit they were very strong under Erasmus as well [which isn't that long ago]. The great win against Clermont is the sort of victory that would give any team a sense of belief in their abilities.

I wonder how the bookies are seeing it?
I'm sure it helps their belief. But they were a long way off Clemont and not able to live at that level. Clermont coasted and didnt spot the danger until very late. It was a clever mature performance, but they never had to beat the Clermont who played for the first 20 monutes.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

While winning 21 of our last 28 matches against Munster we seem to have lost a match every four or five games which suggests that we are due another loss soon. This could be that loss.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looks like Ringer could be back for Sat according to press today.

Not sure I'd start him, Frawley/Henshaw would be my choice, probably with JOB on the bench.

But good to have the option.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

The bookies have Leinster 8/11 and Munster 6/4 and the handicap of 3 points. A draw is 25/1.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

joooooe wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am 2017: Narrative: Leinster disrespecting the fixture by sending a team of kids to be slaughtered at Thomond Park. The likes of Jordan Larmour, Ross Byrne, Jamison Gibson-Park and James Ryan (who all played that day) were clearly not ready but within a few months had all played for Ireland, many winning a Grand Slam. Result: Leinster win. Go figure.

2018: Narrative: Leinster finally respecting the sanctity of the holy turf of Athenry Thomond Park by sending a “full strength team” (it was far from full strength by any meaningful measure apart from the one metric that if Johnny Sexton is playing then certain elements of the rugby media in Ireland deem that to mean “full strength”). Munster of course won that day, in case you hadn't heard. There is a commemorative DVD and bed spread of Fineen Wycherly hitting Johnny Sexton on the ground. And James Lowe's hit in the air on Andrew Conway was so late it still hasn't actually happened. Result: Munster win. Hadn't you heard?

(By the way, the Venn diagram of those who felt Leinster disrespected the fixture in 2017 and those who still use the 2018 fixture as a reference point to mark either a) the beginning of the end of Irish rugby, and/or b) the beginning of the re-birth of Munster rugby, is a circle.)

2019: Narrative: Leinster disrespect the heavenly shrine by sending a team of players nobody has ever heard of to play a game for men/Gods against Lijinds and warriors in a county now into its 15th month of celebrating a hurling all Ireland title. Who has ever even heard of Hugo Keenan, Will Connors, or Caelan Doris (who all played that day)?... or perhaps one team views the absence of internationals as a disrespectful abomination while the other uses it as an opportunity to prepare future internationals? Result: Leinster win (so the lads in the Venn diagram above had to STFU).

2020: Narrative: I see we're back to disrespecting the holiest of holy, the graciest of goddy, the most lijindree of lijindree, the stand-upiest and fightiest patch of turf that God did ever bestow on the people of Limerick (who are now a bit confused as they have had to say the same about the Gaelic Grounds since all that they mine there is Silver and Gold in the shape of the Liam McCarthy Cup and the Dr Croke Cup). Leinster might actually send a pretty strong team, but the fact that Johnny "his family is from Kirrie anyway" Sexton will not be playing means it must be a team of children being thrown into the Thomond Park Coliseum. To the uninitiated (i.e. the Venn diagram lads above) they will just have to wait until the 6 Nations to understand that Scott Penny, Ciarán Frawley, Tommy O'Brien, Conor O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien, Dan Sheehan, Tom Clarkson and this NKOTB Dave Kearney are actually not too bad (though maybe not quite the standard of Semi Radradra/Darren Sweetnam). Result: let's see.

Bring it on. Don't buy into the narrative. Win, lose or draw, Leinster will learn from the fixture and know that a non-conference league game 8 games into the season is not the one to peak for. Enjoy yizzer turkey sangijes and scream at the TV like you're in the Laighin Pit on a sunny May afternoon.
I see the narrative has moved on in the 4 weeks of deferment. It's now all about a pre-6 Nations trial match like those of "of yore" (h/t @AssuredlyGerry), while at the same time a lot of inches/air time is being devoted to the fact that a win would be "momentous" for Munster (thank you, Murray K). Oddly, nobody is talking about what a win for Leinster might mean.

As someone noted above, Munster are due a win in this fixture and are in reasonable form. However, I saw someone reference the 2018 "Johnny Sexton meltdown" elsewhere, which means those in certain quarters (the one in the South-West) still cling to a victory in a regular-season out-of-conference league game from 2 years ago like the fella walking out of the diner in Springsteen's Glory Days. Meanwhile, others can reference the more tangible trappings of success, i.e. finals and trophies. Lord help us if they win this weekend as they could dine out on it for another 2 years (or more).