Mullet

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri 8th January 2021 19:35 EirSport

Post by Blueberry »

Kinds sums Ulster up......toothless....
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Huge defensive set to deny them the bonus.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Excellent, that's a huge win. 5-0 is more than we could've hoped for.

Still nowhere near where we need to be, but will take that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Anyone who ever said Ross Byrne is slow needs to apologise to him immediately! What an intercept!

That was a brilliant second half from us. Really controlled but dangerous as well. Lineout went to sh!t and Luke’s error near the end could have been very costly but apart from that it was an excellent half.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

curates_egg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm Huge defensive set to deny them the bonus.
This could be the difference in who wins the conference. Huge defensive set at the end.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Robbie H and Keenan were excellent. Great return from Larmour too.

Ryan, Cronin and Doris the pick of the pack for me.

Hope Cronin is alright we need his lineout throwing for next week (never thought I'd be saying that...)
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I f@cking enjoyed that. There's not much to excite us these days, but that was great.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jordi was excellent for them btw. Outshone Coetzee.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:35 pm Jordi was excellent for them btw. Outshone Coetzee.
Jordi was a total pain in the hole - and I mean that as a compliment
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

McCloskey just never turns up in big games like this. I used to be a big fan of his but time and time again he doesn’t show up when it counts. Can’t remember one decent carry from him tonight.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Laighin Break wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:18 pm Fair play to Brace for penalising McGrath there
Hopefully it (and the emphasis on enforcing that law) will be the kick up the hole McGrath needs. The difference when he came on for JGP was glaring. So good at every aspect of the game apart from the most important one for a 9.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:42 pm
Laighin Break wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:18 pm Fair play to Brace for penalising McGrath there
Hopefully it (and the emphasis on enforcing that law) will be the kick up the hole McGrath needs. The difference when he came on for JGP was glaring. So good at every aspect of the game apart from the most important one for a 9.
Totally disagree. JGP's running was good but his passing was way off tonight. Really stemmed our attacking at times and caused a few guys to get hit well behind the gainline from throwing behind them.

Luke besides that error was good when he came in. Threatened and marshalled forwards well.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Bar the Tracy lineout niggles it was very enjoyable, we really do need to sort the lineout (Cronin was excellent mind you but we do need hookers not a hooker who can throw) , what is interesting is the ball flight, Cronin was throwing sharp quick ball and Tracy chucking in wobbly disrupted flight.

Keenan, Henshaw and Larmour looked dangerous and Ross Byrne had a cracking game. Sexton struggled in the first half but made some huge contributions in the second half. Our pack bullied their pack for most of the game. Ulster second row not at the races at all. Jordi best forward tonight for Ulster.

My motm was Cronin....how this guy hasn't more Ireland caps is beyond me.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I wonder how much of the lineout was Ulster not competing for the first 50 and then starting to throw guys up?

Certainly Cronin's throwing looked much snappier though.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

wixfjord wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:47 pm I wonder how much of the lineout was Ulster not competing for the first 50 and then starting to throw guys up?

Certainly Cronin's throwing looked much snappier though.
Chicken and egg stuff I suspect....with the sh*te Tracy was flinging in it encouraged them !!
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:27 pm Anyone who ever said Ross Byrne is slow needs to apologise to him immediately! What an intercept!
I thought he had a really good game, popping up at first receiver, great in defence and that conversion was vital in denying Ulster a chance at three points from that last minute penalty.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Didn't enjoy the first half at all, barring DK's finish, felt like continuation of last week, some strong individuals but precious little team. Second half from the outset so much better, never understand what that's about but really happy that it can happen. Great to see J10 improve as the game went on and he seemed to relax. We dug deep when necessary and were clinical enough as required.
Great performance from Hugo Keenan and Nugget was also stand out, hope he wasn't taken off just because that's what you do at 55 mins, was playing really well, causing all sorts of problems, looked good for 80 to me.
And RB at centre worked out alright also, that was another relief.
Great defence and discipline in the final 5 mins. Much better overall than I was afraid might be the case.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:44 pm
curates_egg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:42 pm
Totally disagree. JGP's running was good but his passing was way off tonight. Really stemmed our attacking at times and caused a few guys to get hit well behind the gainline from throwing behind them.

Luke besides that error was good when he came in. Threatened and marshalled forwards well.
He threw a couple of wild ones alright, although the pass for Kearney’s try was an absolute beauty.

However, I was referring to the tempo he gave and the speed getting the ball away.

McGrath didn’t attempt any difficult passes but took an age at many/most rucks.

The new emphasis is aimed at eliminating the flapping around by 9s like Murray and McGrath.