Supporters Q&A with Leinster Rugby CEO, Mick Dawson

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Supporters Q&A with Leinster Rugby CEO, Mick Dawson

Post by Slipper1 »

OK people, after 88% of respondents voted that a Q&A session with Leinster Rugby would be a good idea, I am delighted that Mick Dawson, Leinster Rugby CEO has kindly agreed to take part.

Please post your questions here, this forum will remain open until Wednesday evening next (6th September) when we will compile and submit the questions to the branch. Once answered, I will post the replies back on http://www.leinsterfans.com and also on the official site http://www.leinsterrugby.ie

Questions can also be posted on the official message board on http://www.leinsterrugby.ie

Please keep the questions relevant and to the point, there is no point in asking questions on areas that the CEO does not have a hand in such as tactics, team selection or the like. Please do not post abusive or completely irrelevant questions as these will not be answered and may jeopardise any further sessions that are proposed.

Mick has agreed to be as honest and open as he can be, so ask away.......

the 12% that didnt want the session can just look away :)
Get in the f%~king bag.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Off topic posts on this thread will be moved and possibly deleted.

Slipper1 has gone to the trouble of setting this up and I don't think it's fair if he has to wade through a lot of off-topic psots to find the questions
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Given that we seem to be a bit shy in our questions, I will go first...

Q: Many supporters have found that the prices charged by Killester Travel are prohibitively expensive and would preclude them from booking with the "official" branch travel agent. Supporters are booking travel for up to 70% cheaper than advertised prices. Given the recent explosion in support for Leinster Rugby, and the opportunities available to travel agents from these new supporters, is the travel contract put to tender, or does LR have any control over the exorbitant prices being charged?
Last edited by Slipper1 on September 1st, 2006, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Slipper1 wrote:Given that we seem to be a bit shy in our questions, I will go first...

Q: Many supporters have found that the prices charged by Killester Travel are prohibitively expensive and would preclude them from booking with the "official" branch travel agent. Supporters are booking travel for up to 70% cheaper than advertised prices. Given the recent explosion in support for Leinster Rugby, is the travel contract put to tender, or does LR have any control over the exorbitant prices being charged?
:clap: here here!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I understand from media reports that the RDS is to become the new home of Leinster Rugby in September 2007. Will we play all our games, both Heineken Cup and Magners League games there or will some games still be played in Donnybrook? Have the plans to redevelop Donnybrook into a circa 15,000 capacity stadium been shelved?

By the way, well done Slipper1 on setting this up with Mick.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

Is there any advance on the HEC quarter final ground situation? Have any locations been short listed? When would you expect something to be finalised?

From our point of view, it would be a help to fans travelling if they knew where Leinster would be having their quarter finals, if they were to progress out of their group, in a reasonable time.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Hi Mick, Have the branch any information on the away ticket allocation for the Gloucester game? Over 6000 travelled to Toulouse and there are over 3000 season ticket holders, so tickets could be tight.

Thanks

PS Great work Slipper! :clap:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Here is another one...

LR is perceived as being an elitist "D4" club - what is the club doing to dispel these misconceptions, attract non traditional supporters and make rugby more inclusive to those outside the pale.?
Get in the f%~king bag.
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

I there anything being done differently this season to avoid the serious degradation of the Donnybrook pitch that we saw last season, especially since it will see Heineken cup action in January?!
LeinsterMongrel
Bookworm

Post by LeinsterMongrel »

The Branch are to be congratulated on recent announcements about the establishment of the Exiles and Junior Supporters Clubs. Without wishing to tempt fate and expecting another successful season, I would be interested to hear Mick's views about the long term plans for growing the fan-base.
"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit" (J-P Rives)
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Mick, would you consider the possibility of playing games during the season, in a venue outside of Dublin?

Slipper - well done. It's easy to mouth off and sound good, but it's not as easy to actually follow through and set something up. Respect.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

There have been statements in the press from both Leinster and Munster that both teams are looking for stadia outside Ireland should the teams qualify for the later stages of the HEC.

Have you totally given up on the possibility that a GAA stadium could be used for provincial rugby while Lansdowne Road is being re-developed or is there still the chance that this could be explored with the GAA?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Do you think that the recently introduced Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups have helped in improving the standard of rugby in smaller schools across Leinster? Also, do you feel that the future of Leinster Rugby would be better served by replacing the Cups with a League structure and this providing schools players with more game time.
Last edited by thecoolfreak on September 2nd, 2006, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

What is the branches thoughts on moving the sale of tickets to a secure online platform?

This would mean supporters from both home and abroad could buy from the comfort of their own home, they would receive instant confirmation and it would eliminate the numerous related queries via telephone and email that the branch ticket office currently receive.

PS: Well done Slipper for arranging this :clap:
baggo baggins
Bookworm

Post by baggo baggins »

The move to the RDS last year was fantastic and the season ticket holders terrace great. In addition the atmosphere generated at Landsdowne Rd (East Terrace - what can I say) for the final CL game was very good.

Based on these observations my question is two fold

LR is playing 4 games at Landsdowne Road. Are there any plans to market the games so that we can get additional "once off" supporters through the gates and once we get them there generate a great atmosphere? The experience will bring them back and make us a stronger club. I am think specifically of family packages, group deals or even marketing to schools who are not in the traditional rugby catchment areas.

LR are negotiating a long term lease at the RDS. Will there be terraces for those of us who love to watch (and participate) from that type of facility?

Thanks for the opportunity Slipper.
One day the dream will become a reality. Irrespective I will always be blue.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Slipper1 wrote:Here is another one...

LR is perceived as being an elitist "D4" club - what is the club doing to dispel these misconceptions, attract non traditional supporters and make rugby more inclusive to those outside the pale.?
Outside the pale true, good question, but it can be expanded to what are Leinster Rugby doing to expand the brand inside the pale, but outside the traditional rugby heartland. The Tallaght and Blanchardstown conurbations are bigger than every other city on the Island, Cork excepted, yet I've never seen promotional material from the branch in Blanchardstown for example.

My second question ties into this. With the exception of the excellent Donnybrook store, Leinster merchandise is very hard to get, apart from the first team and alternate jerseys. Shops like Elverys aren't currently interested in stocking a wider range from what I can see. Three of the biggest shopping outlets in Ireland are in just the areas that Leinster should be targetting, The Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, Tallaght Shopping Centre and the Liffey Valley shopping centre. What is to stop Leinster Rugby considering going into partnership with one of the Sports retail chains, like Elverys, JJB, Lifestyle or Champion Sports whereby we lease a proportion of floor space, brand it a "Leinster Rugby Store" and stock it with a more comprehensive range of merchandise. Then we use these stores, with promotional appearances by some of the World Class stars in the Leinster team as beachheads in our expansion into the areas they are based in. The partners win as the presence of the stores on their floor space will drive business to them, and the presense of the likes of BOD or D'Arcy or Felipe on promotional duties will do similar. Leinster Rugby wins, both through expanded merchandising revenue and the increase of the level of interest in the team in hitherto unbroached areas.
I have Bumbleflex
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Now that you have achieved success with the season ticket sales is it a major priority to increase the travelling support for the team? If so what would your short and long term targets be and how would you plan to achieve them?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Hello Mick -

I was interested to see Leinster rugby getting behind the Dubs in the GAA this year. On the back of Kilkenny's great All Ireland win yesterday, is there potential for a similar show of solidarity on behalf of Leinster rugby - it could be a good PR device to dispel the myth that Leinster rugby is just about Dublin and not about the whole province of Leinster.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Duff Paddy wrote:Hello Mick -

I was interested to see Leinster rugby getting behind the Dubs in the GAA this year. On the back of Kilkenny's great All Ireland win yesterday, is there potential for a similar show of solidarity on behalf of Leinster rugby - it could be a good PR device to dispel the myth that Leinster rugby is just about Dublin and not about the whole province of Leinster.
:clap:
I have Bumbleflex
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Come on people - get your arses moving and post some questions. this is an opportunity we may not have again and is our chance as supporters to put forward any questions we have to the management of our club.

You take the time to post here, you have spent your money on membership, merchandise and travel to both home & away games which all points to the fact that so many of you do care about the team and the supporters.

Take two minutes to think of a question and post it here - submissions close on Wednesday evening.
Get in the f%~king bag.