HEC In The Brook

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Eug
Learner

Post by Eug »

LeinsterBabe wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I'd question its safety. Funny, before the game there were actually stewards that kept the walk way free - they disappeared just before kick off. Then we were basically blocked in......strange.
I got there just after 4, given my small stature, I wanted to be sure I could actually see the game this week. The reason the stewards let people onto the walkway just before kick off was that latecomers were arriving in and standing on the walkway as there was nowhere else to go, the terrace was jammed. People who'd been there for an hour were pissed off that there were now people standing in front of them blocking their view (particularly those with kids) and were complaining to the stewards so the stewards moved those standing on, realised it was just going to keep happening, and allowed people to move forward so that latecomers wouldn't be able to stand in the walkway.
I was there shortly after 4 and was not allowed at the front and the steward kept us back - including children - until late comers did indeed push in front of and block our view. If it was a "health and safety" issue then the walk way should have been kept clear for the duration of the match. There were a lot of fans near me who were very annoyed that those who came in last got the best view. It seems a pity that everytime Leinster get into a big match that we should be able enjoy properly the Branch manage to do something to annoy at least half the people there.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

purcellp wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Should that happen SS, access would be quickly gained from the pitch.
I'm afraid this wouldn't have been so easy on Saturday DC. I was down in the corner of the Wesley/Terrace side of the pitch where the St John's Ambulance are stationed and there's not a hope they would've got through the crowd quick enough. The stewards were supposed to keep that entrance clear, but gave up shortly before kick-off. When Felipe went down with what looked like a nasty injury, they were summoned but didn't get anywhere near the pitch. In the end of it (thank God) Felipe got up before the St John's Ambulance could battle through and crisis was averted!!
Couldn't agree more... They should carry a health warning :lol: :lol: :lol:
T - 45
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

Thanks for the clarification wrt Killarney. Not being an Indo reader I hadn't seen it.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

When Felipe went down with what looked like a nasty injury, they were summoned but didn't get anywhere near the pitch. In the end of it (thank God) Felipe got up before the St John's Ambulance could battle through and crisis was averted!![/quote]

Battle through who??

The Johns Ambulance guys are on the edge of the pitch. They were sitting with their backs to the hordings.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Leo The Lion wrote:When Felipe went down with what looked like a nasty injury, they were summoned but didn't get anywhere near the pitch. In the end of it (thank God) Felipe got up before the St John's Ambulance could battle through and crisis was averted!!

Battle through who??

The Johns Ambulance guys are on the edge of the pitch. They were sitting with their backs to the hordings.
Have you seen the actual ambulance that the John's Ambulance guys drive to the matches in Donnybrook? It has "St John's Ambulance - Foxrock Division" written on it. Only the best for Leinster, I presume the Foxrock division have all sorts of medical equipment that the other divisions can't afford :lol: :lol:
chillers
Knowledgeable

Post by chillers »

Eug wrote:
LeinsterBabe wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I'd question its safety. Funny, before the game there were actually stewards that kept the walk way free - they disappeared just before kick off. Then we were basically blocked in......strange.
I got there just after 4, given my small stature, I wanted to be sure I could actually see the game this week. The reason the stewards let people onto the walkway just before kick off was that latecomers were arriving in and standing on the walkway as there was nowhere else to go, the terrace was jammed. People who'd been there for an hour were pissed off that there were now people standing in front of them blocking their view (particularly those with kids) and were complaining to the stewards so the stewards moved those standing on, realised it was just going to keep happening, and allowed people to move forward so that latecomers wouldn't be able to stand in the walkway.
I was there shortly after 4 and was not allowed at the front and the steward kept us back - including children - until late comers did indeed push in front of and block our view. If it was a "health and safety" issue then the walk way should have been kept clear for the duration of the match. There were a lot of fans near me who were very annoyed that those who came in last got the best view. It seems a pity that everytime Leinster get into a big match that we should be able enjoy properly the Branch manage to do something to annoy at least half the people there.
I think the branch were in a difficult position as regards the walkway at the front of the terrace. The previous week against the Ospreys it was a real struggle to get into the terrace because of people standing on the walkway. I think they tried to improve things this week be keeping it clear prior to kick-off, which I personlly thought was a good idea. The stewards shouldn't have let late-comers fill in the walkway, but should have stopped people accessing the terrace when it was fall and then let those on the first step move forward. On the other hand, quite a few kids (including some rather big ones :wink: ) got a great view by sitting on the railing at the top of the terrace.
Psycho B
Graduate

Post by Psycho B »

chillers wrote:
Eug wrote:
LeinsterBabe wrote: I got there just after 4, given my small stature, I wanted to be sure I could actually see the game this week. The reason the stewards let people onto the walkway just before kick off was that latecomers were arriving in and standing on the walkway as there was nowhere else to go, the terrace was jammed. People who'd been there for an hour were pissed off that there were now people standing in front of them blocking their view (particularly those with kids) and were complaining to the stewards so the stewards moved those standing on, realised it was just going to keep happening, and allowed people to move forward so that latecomers wouldn't be able to stand in the walkway.
I think the branch were in a difficult position as regards the walkway at the front of the terrace. The previous week against the Ospreys it was a real struggle to get into the terrace because of people standing on the walkway. I think they tried to improve things this week be keeping it clear prior to kick-off, which I personlly thought was a good idea. The stewards shouldn't have let late-comers fill in the walkway, but should have stopped people accessing the terrace when it was fall and then let those on the first step move forward. On the other hand, quite a few kids (including some rather big ones :wink: ) got a great view by sitting on the railing at the top of the terrace.
They also got Piles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Psycho B wrote:
chillers wrote:On the other hand, quite a few kids (including some rather big ones :wink: ) got a great view by sitting on the railing at the top of the terrace.
They also got Piles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oi! It had to be the best seat in the house .. spot on halfway, at just the right height. Just bring a cushion the next time. In fairness (presumably to the tighter stewarding before kick off) the crush on the ET was no where near as bad as the week before. However blocking emergency service access (at the corner entrance?), if true, is worrying.

meinster (circulation to the legs restored).
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Psycho B wrote:That's what I thought too and they have a stand for the Prawn Sandwiches, bucket seating for those people that have small children and a terrace for us lunatics. Its perfect 8)
The Shopping Centre End terrace in Dalymount is not allowed to be used due to health and safety rules. I assume that would be the same for Leinster fans as Bohs fans. There are ~8,500 seats in Dalymount I think with some standing capacity behind the seats at the shed end, maybe 10,000 capacity in total, Tolka holds about the same all-seated. I doubt that would be big enough really. The suggestion of Windsor Park is a good one but Linfield may have a cup semi final there on the Saturday of the HC quarter finals so it may not be available.
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

Schumi wrote:
Psycho B wrote:That's what I thought too and they have a stand for the Prawn Sandwiches, bucket seating for those people that have small children and a terrace for us lunatics. Its perfect 8)
The Shopping Centre End terrace in Dalymount is not allowed to be used due to health and safety rules. I assume that would be the same for Leinster fans as Bohs fans. There are ~8,500 seats in Dalymount I think with some standing capacity behind the seats at the shed end, maybe 10,000 capacity in total, Tolka holds about the same all-seated. I doubt that would be big enough really. The suggestion of Windsor Park is a good one but Linfield may have a cup semi final there on the Saturday of the HC quarter finals so it may not be available.
Could be a possiblilty that the LB want to put bucket seats in if possible.
'Oh miss PacMan, i'd sex that bow right off your head!'
'Eat those dots, you naughty, naughty girl!'
Sandrine
Graduate

Post by Sandrine »

chillers wrote: On the other hand, quite a few kids (including some rather big ones :wink: ) got a great view by sitting on the railing at the top of the terrace.
That's my best seat ever ! I wont give it up, that's for sure ! :D
French by Birth, Irish by the Grace of Rugby
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Beer Baron wrote:Could be a possiblilty that the LB want to put bucket seats in if possible.
In Dalymount? I don't think the terrace would be considered safe, seated or not.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No terrace is considered safe by the soccer authorities, even the brand spanking new one in Croker. Rugby has different rules
I have Bumbleflex
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Sandrine wrote:
chillers wrote: On the other hand, quite a few kids (including some rather big ones :wink: ) got a great view by sitting on the railing at the top of the terrace.
That's my best seat ever ! I wont give it up, that's for sure ! :D
I'm too short to sit there, I can't reach the lower railing to make sure I don't fall off :cry: :cry:
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Eug wrote:
LeinsterBabe wrote:
Its not just health and safety its comfort. Few of the lads with us wanted to nip out to the toilet at half time and they simply couldn't get back. If the walkway had of been cleared it'd have been no issue. As for late comers, they should have been told by the stewards to keep moving if the terrace was full.

By the way Duff - not sure when the Brook became our home. Certainly when i started going to interpros to watch Leinster we played in LR.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

I remember going to see Leinster play a touring side from Gauteng or Transvaal or some other Seffrican province in Lansdowne back in the mid-90s, I think I remember seeing Murray Kidd there and thinking what the Irish coach (at the time) thought of a pretty poor performance. But certainly it wasn't long after that the HEC games were moved to Donnybrook, and it was considered a rousing success.
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

Dave Cahill wrote:No terrace is considered safe by the soccer authorities, even the brand spanking new one in Croker. Rugby has different rules
Soccer has beaten the safety drum to death. It's about money, it's about people who will bring kiddies to the match who wouldn't be able to do so in a terrace situation, it's about buying those kiddies merchandise, it's about anything but safety at this stage.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

dingbat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:No terrace is considered safe by the soccer authorities, even the brand spanking new one in Croker. Rugby has different rules
Soccer has beaten the safety drum to death. It's about money, it's about people who will bring kiddies to the match who wouldn't be able to do so in a terrace situation, it's about buying those kiddies merchandise, it's about anything but safety at this stage.
I'm sure the families of the guys who died at Hillsboro, Heysel, Ibrox and Bradford would hold a different view Dingbat.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Flash Gordon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I'm sure the families of the guys who died at Hillsboro, Heysel, Ibrox and Bradford would hold a different view Dingbat.
They don't really. Safe to Stand are fully endorsed by the HJC
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
dingbat wrote: Soccer has beaten the safety drum to death. It's about money, it's about people who will bring kiddies to the match who wouldn't be able to do so in a terrace situation, it's about buying those kiddies merchandise, it's about anything but safety at this stage.
They don't really. Safe to Stand are fully endorsed by the HJC
I don't know what the HJC is Dave, but ground safety in England and the move towards all seater stadium was not about getting kids in to buy merchandise.......