Team for Connaught

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the economist
Bookworm

Team for Connaught

Post by the economist »

Anybody any ideas, we know about BoD, but what about Mal & FC?
quietly confident
Beginner

Post by quietly confident »

Apparently FC will be ok, not sure mal will go 80mins but hes sure to get a run.
'Leinster does for rugby what paris hilton did for the internet'.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Where's "Connaught"?
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Leinsterman wrote:Where's "Connaught"?
Not a clue - Maybe it's somewhere close to Connught??
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

In London. Looks quite nice, actually!

http://www.theconnaughthotellondon.com/home/home.asp
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

claire_m wrote:
In London. Looks quite nice, actually!

http://www.theconnaughthotellondon.com/home/home.asp
It is! They also seem to have a rugby team too - must be the staff.
the economist
Bookworm

Post by the economist »

Bad speller. My mistake.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the economist wrote:Bad speller. My mistake.
You are not a bad speller. You spelt the word correctly. You were speaking (typing) in the English language so you used the English word for the province. Connacht is an Irish word and if used in an English sentence should be italicised. Its like calling Ireland Eire. Fine in Irish, incorrect in English
I have Bumbleflex
packie
Bookworm

Post by packie »

OK but The team leinster will be playing are Connacht rugby not Connaught rugby
website http://www.connachtrugby.ie
Is olc an cú nach fiú a liú
packie
Bookworm

Post by packie »

packie wrote:OK but The team leinster will be playing are Connacht rugby not Connaught rugby
Sorry Connacht rugby :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

packie wrote:
packie wrote:OK but The team leinster will be playing are Connacht rugby not Connaught rugby
True, and as a Brand name thats fine. But the questioner asked "wheres Connaught" treating it as a place, so therefore the original poster was correct, if you see what I mean
I have Bumbleflex
the economist
Bookworm

Post by the economist »

Have you nothing better to do?
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Dave Cahill wrote:
packie wrote:
True, and as a Brand name thats fine. But the questioner asked "wheres Connaught" treating it as a place, so therefore the original poster was correct, if you see what I mean
The Government would disagree as the official name of the Province is Connacht or Chúige na Connachta or Cúige Chonnacht, Connaught being the old or Middle English which was used to enable English speakers to pronounce the name as -cht was more or less unpronouncable to them.

Here let me bore you more....
The spelling Connaught reflects the former English practice — in Ireland, though not in Scotland — of representing the Gaelic voiceless velar fricative /x/ as gh (compare lough for loch), gh having been used in Middle English for the same sound. Although this sound later disappeared from standard English, the spelling of words like "thought" and "caught" remained unaltered -- and in a further Anglicisation the "new" English pronunciation of -aught was even applied in England to titles like that of the Duke of Connaught. In Ireland, however, the original pronunciation having remained intact, the Gaelic-style spelling Connacht is now used more often in English. It may have gained currency by mistranslation of the Irish name into English: in Irish, the form Cúige Chonnacht 'province of Connacht' is almost always used, and this may have led to people misunderstanding genitive case Connacht as the Gaelic version instead of nominative case Connachta.
We're an Irish nation and that entitles us to name our land as we prefer, so while I would accept a mispronunciation from a non-Irish English speaker, after correction I would expect them to use the common term out of courtesy. In the same way that while we may refer to Limerick as "Stab City" in jest (from a safe distance :wink: ), in conversation Limerick is the term used.

None of us speaks Middle English which came about after the arrival of the Normans, as in the main it fell out of use in the 1500's so there is no reason to use incorrect terms that do not form part of the current spoken and written language. If English firms wish to use Connaught as a brand name, fine let them. But the name of the Province in Ireland is Connacht or Chúige na Connachta. Not too much to ask people to entertain a common courtesy is it..??
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
chillers
Knowledgeable

Post by chillers »

Sea_point wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
packie wrote: Sorry Connacht rugby :wink:
The Government would disagree as the official name of the Province is Connacht or Chúige na Connachta or Cúige Chonnacht, Connaught being the old or Middle English which was used to enable English speakers to pronounce the name as -cht was more or less unpronouncable to them.

The spelling Connaught reflects the former English practice — in Ireland, though not in Scotland — of representing the Gaelic voiceless velar fricative /x/ as gh (compare lough for loch), gh having been used in Middle English for the same sound. Although this sound later disappeared from standard English, the spelling of words like "thought" and "caught" remained unaltered -- and in a further Anglicisation the "new" English pronunciation of -aught was even applied in England to titles like that of the Duke of Connaught. In Ireland, however, the original pronunciation having remained intact, the Gaelic-style spelling Connacht is now used more often in English. It may have gained currency by mistranslation of the Irish name into English: in Irish, the form Cúige Chonnacht 'province of Connacht' is almost always used, and this may have led to people misunderstanding genitive case Connacht as the Gaelic version instead of nominative case Connachta.
We're an Irish nation and that entitles us to name our land as we prefer, so while I would accept a mispronunciation from a non-Irish English speaker, after correction I would expect them to use the common term out of courtesy. In the same way that while we may refer to Limerick as "Stab City" in jest (from a safe distance :wink: ), in conversation Limerick is the term used.

None of us speaks Middle English which came about after the arrival of the Normans, as in the main it fell out of use in the 1500's so there is no reason to use incorrect terms that do not form part of the current spoken and written language. If English firms wish to use Connaught as a brand name, fine let them. But the name of the Province in Ireland is Connacht or Chúige na Connachta. Not too much to ask people to entertain a common courtesy is it..??
So why is Lough Ree not spelled Loch?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Thank you SeaPoint!

That whole phonetic spelling is null and void anyway. You constantly hear English pundits refer to Connacht as Con-NOUGHT, so the "Connaught" spelling doesn't hold water even then... it doesn't even come close to how it's supposed to be pronounced.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Well, I for one think that Connaught should be banned. They're just a drain on the IRFU really..... :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Flash Gordon wrote:Well, I for one think that Connaught should be banned. They're just a drain on the IRFU really..... :wink:
Well given your "Alma Mater" Flash, you're excused.... :wink:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

chillers wrote:
Sea_point wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: True, and as a Brand name thats fine. But the questioner asked "wheres Connaught" treating it as a place, so therefore the original poster was correct, if you see what I mean

So why is Lough Ree not spelled Loch?
Blame those bloody Englanders again. Now the Empire is gone they should ban them from stepping outside their country in case they do any more damage (Sorry Mort... ;-) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

"COBO'S AVA" - what is this? It's up on ticketmaster in relation to tickets for this week's game.?
"Look what Leinster have done again"
packie
Bookworm

Post by packie »

Leinsterman wrote:Thank you SeaPoint! Thanks S_P is right

That whole phonetic spelling is null and void anyway. You constantly hear English pundits refer to Connacht as Con-NOUGHT, so the "Connaught" spelling doesn't hold water even then... it doesn't even come close to how it's supposed to be pronounced.
I was watching the rugby club on sky a few months back and the host Miles Harrison(?) was on about the Challenge cup and he mentioned ConnACHT as opposed to Connaught, then he looked over at Reggie Corrigan and said "right Reggie?"
Reggie says "yes ConnACHT", I was delighted. no-one can say a bad word about Corrigan when I'm around

Fair play Reggie, Respect