Quota of foreign players.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cud
Mullet

Quota of foreign players.

Post by cud »

Just read Cheika's press briefing. Says we have our quota of three foreigners for next season (Greene, Whittaker & Contepomi). Initially I thought a foreigner could only be someone from outside the EU, but Greene seems to prove that wrong. Why is it then that he does'nt include Jowitt, Warner & Byrnes (does he have an Irish passport)?
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

"We’re looking at maybe sliding Ben (Gissing) to the backrow but the situation is that he is out of contract in the summer so a decision hasn’t been made yet. We’re trying to reduce excess numbers in the squad but at the same time having greater quality and strength in depth." :shock:
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Remember that Will Green has played 4 times for England and so probably counts as foreign that way, although this is only a guess.
Sundy
Enlightened

Post by Sundy »

Uncle Mort wrote:"We’re looking at maybe sliding Ben (Gissing) to the backrow but the situation is that he is out of contract in the summer so a decision hasn’t been made yet. We’re trying to reduce excess numbers in the squad but at the same time having greater quality and strength in depth." :shock:
Not looking good for ben :shock:
It reads to me that hes no longer considered at lock and if there isnt a vacant position in the backrow hes gone.

Connacht interest you Ben?
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

Warner's been irish qualified all this season
Jarhead
Learner

Post by Jarhead »

Warner's Irish Qualified

Cameron's Samoan

Byrnes' Latvian

I dunno why but being Samoan/Latvian doesn't make you foreign!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Neither Whittaker (english passport) nor Greene are considered to be foreign players as both are EU Nationals. I think Felipe is naturalised EU at this stage too
I have Bumbleflex
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Byrnes' Latvian
:shock:
Jarhead
Learner

Post by Jarhead »

Sorry "TRAVELS ON A LATVIAN PASSPORT"
LeinsterLion
Bookworm

Post by LeinsterLion »

He means "foreign" in that none of those three can ever play for Ireland. Nothing to do with EU etc
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLion wrote:He means "foreign" in that none of those three can ever play for Ireland. Nothing to do with EU etc
Theres no quota on that. We could play 15 portugeezers if we wanted to.
I have Bumbleflex
Jarhead
Learner

Post by Jarhead »

Sorry "TRAVELS ON A LATVIAN PASSPORT"
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

LeinsterLion wrote:He means "foreign" in that none of those three can ever play for Ireland. Nothing to do with EU etc
Have the IRFU placed some sort of limit on the number of players we can have that will not be eligible for Ireland?

Basically the 3 he has mentioned are players who could never represent Ireland, whereas Byrnes, Jowitt, etc could play for Ireland in the future
LeinsterLion
Bookworm

Post by LeinsterLion »

I know that - I never said there was a quota. I said the reason he names those three, and only those, and groups them seperately, is that none of them wil ever be qualififed to play for Ireland. Presumably he means "quota" in a theoretical, rather than actual, limit.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

LeinsterLion wrote:
I know that - I never said there was a quota. I said the reason he names those three, and only those, and groups them seperately, is that none of them wil ever be qualififed to play for Ireland. Presumably he means "quota" in a theoretical, rather than actual, limit.
they have to careful not to fall foul of the Kolpak ruling too
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

Uncle Mort wrote:
LeinsterLion wrote:
they have to careful not to fall foul of the Kolpak ruling too
He's some Slovakian handball player, wow, could he hand a ball!!
chillers
Knowledgeable

Post by chillers »

There are two separate issues regarding "foreign" players.

The IRFU limit the number of non-Irish qualified players. Not sure if there's a strict quota per province or if it depends upon the individual player. It seems that the three Cheika mentioned fall into this category.

There's a separate limit on the number of non-EU nationals/residents in the HEC squad imposed by the ERC (I think it's 3 players but could be wrong).

So Cameron would count as "foreign" in the HEC sqaud, but maybe the IRFU doesn't consider him such as he's could potentially play for Ireland.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Interesting to read Alan Gafney in the SIndo last weekend http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories ... si=1607670

I spoke to Michael and Knoxy afterwards and I felt for them. Their team had been wiped out in the front five and they know they'll need some new faces. Getting them is a different story. From my own experience in Ireland I remember how hard it was to recruit successfully when you're trying to stay onside with the national set up and stay within the budgets. Let's say you don't always end up with the players you start chasing.

I think C & K need to get some props from somewhere - I would be suprised if there were not some signings in the coming months.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Have the IRFU placed some sort of limit on the number of players we can have that will not be eligible for Ireland?

Basically the 3 he has mentioned are players who could never represent Ireland, whereas Byrnes, Jowitt, etc could play for Ireland in the future
Placing a quota would be illegal.....that's not to say a quiet word wasn't had in their ears......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Unfortunately there are a number of teams (and not just Irish ones) in the hunt for new props (and to a lesser extent hookers). There are only a finite number of players / options, and that's before the IRFU decide that someone can't be signed because they're not Irish / weren't born on a Tuesday etc. It will be interesting to see what happens.