Leinster looms as Rocky's next role

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Leinster looms as Rocky's next role

Post by Justtoby »

IRISH province Leinster has expressed interest in restless Wallabies and NSW Waratahs blindside flanker Rocky Elsom.

Elsom will decide next week whether to accept an offer from the ARU or have a stint overseas before the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Leinster is coached by Australian Michael Cheika, who played and coached at Elsom's Sydney club, Randwick.

"It is fair to say if a player of Rocky Elsom's calibre became available, a lot of clubs would be interested in him," Leinster chief executive Michael Dawson said.

"If he's interested, we would be interested. That's all I can say at the moment."

It is understood Irish provinces Munster and Ulster have also shown interest in Elsom as well as several French clubs.

Meanwhile, Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie has expressed concern the speculation about his future will adversely affect the team's performance in tomorrow's blockbuster against the Crusaders.

While the Waratahs have denied a strong rumour that they have already offered the head coaching job to McKenzie's assistant, Todd Louden, there is little doubt they are seriously considering making a change.

"The main thing for me is the playing group is in great shape and in good spirits," McKenzie said. "I just would not like the constant speculation to have an impact there."

Waratahs chief executive Jim L'Estrange revealed to The Australian yesterday that they would make a decision on the coaching staff before the end of the season.

Asked whether this would place extra pressure on him, McKenzie said: "We are playing two of the top teams (Crusaders and Blues) in the next three weeks and then we've got two of the other top teams, the Force and the Sharks, three weeks after that.

"It's a pretty treacherous path, but if you come through that, you might be looking like a pretty good team and you get the reflected glory then, I guess. It could go both ways. Interesting times."

McKenzie has made only two changes to the Waratahs' squad for the big game in Christchurch tomorrow with Dean Mumm replacing Will Caldwell in the second row, while Josh Valentine, who will celebrate his 50th Super rugby cap if he gets on, has displaced Luke Burgess as the back-up halfback.

The Crusaders have had a major blow with the withdrawal of injured All Blacks fullback Leon MacDonald. Winger Scott Hamilton will move to fullback to accommodate Caleb Ralph.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 06,00.html
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Crazy rumour - Rocky Elsom to Leinster.

Post by Danthefan »

Just saw this on boards.ie, apparently it's being reported in the local press in Aus. He's moving to Europe for sure (short term-ish, back for the next RWC) and he's a Randwick player so favours linking up with Cheika.

Please keep in mind, this may be horseshit.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster looms as Rocky's next role

Post by Danthefan »

Ok there's an article here, mods do your thang on my thread if you want.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Re: Crazy rumour - Rocky Elsom to Leinster.

Post by thecoolfreak »

IRISH province Leinster has expressed interest in restless Wallabies and NSW Waratahs blindside flanker Rocky Elsom.

Elsom will decide next week whether to accept an offer from the ARU or have a stint overseas before the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Leinster is coached by Australian Michael Cheika, who played and coached at Elsom's Sydney club, Randwick.

"It is fair to say if a player of Rocky Elsom's calibre became available, a lot of clubs would be interested in him," Leinster chief executive Michael Dawson said.

"If he's interested, we would be interested. That's all I can say at the moment."

It is understood Irish provinces Munster and Ulster have also shown interest in Elsom as well as several French clubs.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 06,00.html

He would be a great signing but i'd prefer to see us develop some of homegrown talent in the backrow
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

If we got him for 2 years say (or maybe even 3), I'd be delighted. Like I said he'd be going back to establish himself for the next RWC for Aus so he wouldn't be blocking talent on a long term basis. Within the next 2 years none of the youngsters would become first choice anyway and with Gleeson gone we're a backrow down in the squad already.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

It would mean that guys like O'Brien and McLaughlin would slip down the pecking order. Although if we got rid of Jowitt I wouldn't mind him coming. I think he can also cover the second row
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

They wouldn't be any lower than they are already if you think about it. They'd also have a world class backrow around to learn a thing or 2 from.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Danthefan wrote:They wouldn't be any lower than they are already if you think about it. They'd also have a world class backrow around to learn a thing or 2 from.
True. He really would be a great signing and if we let Jowitt go it would mean that guys like McLaughlin and co would get gametime. Is Keogh's contract up at the end of this season or next? If it is this season, then Elsom really would be a great signing
Last edited by thecoolfreak on March 20th, 2008, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Rocky Elsom? With a name like that should this not be in General Chat under the Rock bands to visit Europe category or something :lol: Don't tell me he got that at birth
"Look what Leinster have done again"
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

icebaby wrote:Rocky Elsom? With a name like that should this not be in General Chat under the Rock bands to visit Europe category or something :lol: Don't tell me he got that at birth

Right.

Anyway, he would be awesome.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Cossax
Enlightened

Post by Cossax »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Danthefan wrote:They wouldn't be any lower than they are already if you think about it. They'd also have a world class backrow around to learn a thing or 2 from.
True. He really would be a great signing and if we let Jowitt go it would mean that guys like McLaughlin and co would get gametime. Is Keogh's contract up at the end of this season or next? If it is this season the Elsom really would be a great signing
Keogh's signed on a two year contract alright, would love him to come home for next season.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Cossax wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
True. He really would be a great signing and if we let Jowitt go it would mean that guys like McLaughlin and co would get gametime. Is Keogh's contract up at the end of this season or next? If it is this season the Elsom really would be a great signing
Keogh's signed on a two year contract alright, would love him to come home for next season.

Really? Never kicked on from his early promise for me.

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

epaddy wrote:
Cossax wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:True. He really would be a great signing and if we let Jowitt go it would mean that guys like McLaughlin and co would get gametime. Is Keogh's contract up at the end of this season or next? If it is this season the Elsom really would be a great signing

Really?
Think he's turned into a quality blindside. In much better form than Leamy at the moment. Certainly twice the player he was when he came here. Does anyone remember how bad his hands were? :shudder:
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Darce wrote:
epaddy wrote:

Really?
Think he's turned into a quality blindside. In much better form than Leamy at the moment. Certainly twice the player he was when he came here. Does anyone remember how bad his hands were? :shudder:
I think he lacks the graft and grunt of a top class 6. Good squad player though, just not international class.

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Sosume
Enlightened

Post by Sosume »

Now that would be a class signing (although I have to say I think Keogh has been a fantastic signing for us).
Would worry too for Mc Loughlin and O'Brien, they are going to need game time.
Didn't Elsom grow the mother of all beards recently???? :o
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Beats me why we would want to sign another tourist in the back row.

IMO the backrow (apart from Heaslip) was one of the most invisible factors in Ireland's performances in the 6N. We need to develop from within for the future of the game and there are enough back rows within the existing structure with the potential to push on and become international standard if they get the necessary game time at the right level.
T - 45
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

The reasons for having him apart from being an excellent No6 who would easily make the Leinster team we also need the squad to ensure that we don't get killed by injuries etc...

Next season we will have -
Keogh, Jowitt
Jennings, O'Beirne
Heaslip, McLoughlin

What happens if we get an injury to say Keogh/Jennings together do you really think we can compete in the HC with that backrow?
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

The posters on PR are saying he's in amazing form this season too, possibly the best 6 in the S14 on form. I don't want to get too excited about this though, we already had one disappointment with Reddan.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Aussiedub wrote:The reasons for having him apart from being an excellent No6 who would easily make the Leinster team we also need the squad to ensure that we don't get killed by injuries etc...

Next season we will have -
Keogh, Jowitt
Jennings, O'Beirne
Heaslip, McLoughlin

What happens if we get an injury to say Keogh/Jennings together do you really think we can compete in the HC with that backrow?
I appreciate your concern, but part of the role of management in Leinster is to ensure that those immediately behind the "first choice" get sufficient game time during the ML to enable to step in seamlessly if the need arises. It also makes long terms sense, if we want to try and hold on to some of our emerging talent. The danger of bringing Elsom in is the temptation to play him week-in week-out at the expense of others who might have a future with the team.
T - 45
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

How long was Keogh signed for?
Might he possibly be going home?

It's very early to be saying who will and won't be here next season.
We're losing a quality backrow player in Gleeson. I don't think we should be rejecting the idea of signing another one.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN