Lions Squad Discussion

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Squad

Post by jezzer »

Interesting - quite an old and grizzled pack but (10s and a couple of exceptions aside) a very young, fresh and cocky looking backline... Even the older guys like Williams and Flutey are the confident, cocky types - there looks at first glance to be an effort on the part of Geech to pick like-minded players.

There are some serious warriors in the forwards squad... Jenkins, Fla, Vickery, POC, Hines, Quinnie, Worsley Wallace would be an incredibly experienced and teak-tough pack - even if they aren't the best 8 from a ball-skills point of view.
shezba
Learner

Re: Expect surprises when Ian McGeechan picks Lions

Post by shezba »

ceemec wrote:Will Carling has been saying the rumours he has heard in the past 24 hours. Says he's not sure about them but they're coming from a source that has always been reliable in the past:

Sheridan not to tour.
Danny Care to be picked.
Robinson to go as 3rd outhalf.
Powell left at home.
Shane Williams possibly left out too.
So much for the reliable source then. Wrong on all counts.
Who the fock was that??? Is that the focking guy who is in charge of the money???
karmabass
Bookworm

Re: 14 Irish Lions

Post by karmabass »

4 Leinster players :D
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Expect surprises when Ian McGeechan picks Lions

Post by tackle-bag »

shezba wrote:
ceemec wrote:Will Carling has been saying the rumours he has heard in the past 24 hours. Says he's not sure about them but they're coming from a source that has always been reliable in the past:

Sheridan not to tour.
Danny Care to be picked.
Robinson to go as 3rd outhalf.
Powell left at home.
Shane Williams possibly left out too.
So much for the reliable source then. Wrong on all counts.
They were all shite predictions anyway. He should stick to cavorting with married royalty.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: 14 Irish Lions

Post by Leinsterman »

No Hook and the mercenary Flutey gets picked. No Armitage either - slightly surprised about that and Kearney is slightly lucky IMO.
Powell? Perma-tanned showboater. No Croft either? :shock:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

have to say from an Irish point of view an excellent day. Was shocked by Quinlan but still think he could do a job over there, definitely get under the Boks skin.

I'd say the English pundits that were creaming over Croft are devastated!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The hooker selection is interesting. What does Lee Mears bring to the party? He's too small for South Africa. Flannery looks nailed on for the Test now.

We have a problem at 9 - with FdP, Pieneer and Kockett in contention, the Lions have nothing to match that.

Agree with Leinsterman, Rob Kearney is a lucky man. Could easily have slipped out.

Ireland can have no compaints
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

Wow some amount of Irish. All there on merit too. My delight for Quinlan is tempered by my disappointment for Bull. Still, he might make it as a replacement. Easterby and Ryan Jones made big names for themselves as flown in replacements in NZ 4 years ago. There'll be a freak training ground accident involving O'Callaghan, Flannery and Euan Murray. :twisted: Flannery and O'Callaghan a little dazed but ok however Murray unable to continue the tour. Enter The Bull....
Cubs fan, Bud man.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Andy Powell :?

Great opportunity for Keith Earls and I hope he takes it flying.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Class!! The English have got the representation their performances over the past season or two have deserved. Croft a guaranteed test starter with nearly every English hack... please! Quinlan's lucky enough imo, I would have brought Leamy, hope he goes well though. Fair play to Geech, didn't cave to politics or club loyalties. 2 out-halves is a good call, no point bringing a 3rd if not up to scratch.

Tough on Hayes alright but Leamy is the guy with most to offer who's not travelling.

guessing at test team can now begin in earnest!

Byrne, Monye, BOD, Shanklin, Luke, Jones, Phillips
Jenkins, Fla, Murray, Hines, POC, Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

sarah_lennon wrote:Andy Powell :?

Great opportunity for Keith Earls and I hope he takes it flying.
i think himself (Earls not Powell) and Fitz could really star if they're goven the right opportunites. I'd play Earls centre with BOD.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

8 Munster players :D
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

I would have brought Powell as well, though he's only sneaked in because of Ryan Jones' capitulation over the past 2 months. Powell, at his best, can be very difficult to stop, as the Boks found out. He still has it all to prove to leap-frog Heaslip and maybe even Wallace.

'The Irish and British Lions' is going to gain a bit of momentum methinks...
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

The Breakdown

Backs:
7 Irish
7 Welsh
3 English

Forwards:

7 Irish
6 Welsh
5 English
2 Scots

Totals:

14 Irish
13 Welsh
8 English
2 Scots

Magners 28 - Guinness 8 (France 1)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Imperial Mongoonybus wrote:8 Munster players :D
An incredible result for a club that is top of the world game. Delighted for Quinnie and Earls, disappointed for Hayes and also disappointed DOC is going. Would have preferred to see Kennedy or a wild card.
Huddle
Learner

Post by Huddle »

Fantastic for Irish Rugby, Congratulations to all the Players that were picked, would have absolutely no complaints about the Irish picked to go. :happy clapper:
Quinlan in particular I think deserved a shot. I would have liked to see Hayes go as I think he is a major factor in O’Connells success in the line out.

O’Connell was the right choice for captain and I don’t think even the most ardent Leinster supporter wouldn’t wish him the best of luck and I cant wait to see if earls can play his way onto the team/bench – cant wait tour to start now.
"B^%#h better have my money"
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Quinlan is the ideal player for a midweek team. Hard as nails and won't take a step backwards. Great to see 14 irish in the squad. Well done to all the guys
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Feel sorry for Hayes but someone was always going to left out. Think he deserved it more than DOC but position is key.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Imperial Mongoonybus wrote:8 Munster players :D
It seems remarable that there are as many Munster players as English players............... a pretty poor reflection on the country with the largest playing population.
Truely remarkable achievement for Munster and fully deserved.

Also interesting to note that ML makes up 28 out of 37 places on the squad. Me thinks the Emperor (Guinness Premiership) has no clothes.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Lions Squad Discussion

Post by sarah_lennon »

Slightly staggered that (commercially) there weren't more English. Sky will be gutted
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4