Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Scott
Rhys Ruddock

U 20 Six Nations

Post by Scott »

IRELAND UNDER-20: The Under-20 team will be defending their 2010 Six Nations
Championship title and five players from last year’s squad
have been named in the team to face Italy.

15: Craig Gilroy (Dungannon - Ulster)
14: Andrew Conway (Blackrock - Leinster)
13: Alex Kelly (UCD -Leinster)
12: Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
11: Andrew Boyle (UCD - Leinster)
10: Patrick Jackson (Dungannon - Ulster)
9: Blane McIlroy (Ballymena - Ulster)

1: James Tracy (UCD -Leinster)
2: Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster) CAPTAIN
3: Martin Moore (Lansdowne - Leinster)
4: Michael Kearney (Clontarf - Leinster)
5: Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers - Connacht)
6: Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
7: Aaron Conneely (Corinthians - Connacht)
8: Eoin McKeon (Galwegians - Connacht)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: David Doyle (UCD - Leinster)
17: Conor Carey (Ballymena - Ulster)
18: Finlay Bealham (Exile)
19: William Iain Henderson (Queens - Ulster)
20: Peter Du Toit (UCD - Leinster)
21: Cathal Marsh (Dublin University - Leinster)
22: Brendan Macken (Blackrock - Leinster

Winger Andrew Conway makes a return to the side from
last season along with Jordi Murphy and Niall Annett who
will captain the side. David Doyle and Brendan Macken
have been named in the replacements.

Speaking ahead of the opening game, Coach Mike Ruddock
said: “After winning the Championship last seasons the
stakes are set high for us this year. But this is a new
season, a new squad and a clean slate.

“Our focus for now is on kicking off the championship with
a strong performance and while it is great to have a core of
experienced players we will be looking for the entire squad
to show what they can do.

“We have prepared well and have gelled as a team. The
skill level, attitude and performances of the players and of
the team as a whole have been very impressive. We hope
to reproduce this for the tournament."
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: U 20 Six Nations

Post by jezzer »

Good looking squad.

Didn't know Gilroy could play 15. Thought Du Toit might get the nod but at least he's on the bench. Big chance for Paddy Jackson to show off his wares at this level. He's a good shot for the next Ulster 10.

No one single Munster player in the whole 22. Compared to 3 starting Connacht forwards. Amazing.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

All the token Munster men cards were used in the senior squad.
jimtownjimmy
Beginner

Post by jimtownjimmy »

Sweet Jesus!
Something is rotten in the state of Munster/[George Hook]

With all the success of the last few years you'd have thought Munster would be bursting with young players. Can anyone shead any light on this? Is it down to lack of numbers, poor coaching, an anomaly...
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

jimtownjimmy wrote:Sweet Jesus!

With all the success of the last few years you'd have thought Munster would be bursting with young players. Can anyone shead any light on this? Is it down to lack of numbers, poor coaching, an anomaly...
NO the last couple of squads haven't had any munstermen in the starting XV. This is the first one I've seen with none in the whole 22.
jimtownjimmy
Beginner

Post by jimtownjimmy »

jezzer wrote:

NO the last couple of squads haven't had any munstermen in the starting XV. This is the first one I've seen with none in the whole 22.
Didn't realise that, worrying from a munster perspective to say the least.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

jezzer wrote:

All the age grade squads, schools and youth, for the last three or four years have had minimal Munster representation as well, its getting very worrying.
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

jimtownjimmy wrote:
jezzer wrote:

Didn't realise that, worrying from a munster perspective to say the least.
have been to some of the munster under 20s games, and too be fair the players aren't there. not lack of training or investment as i'd say it is parallel to leinster.
they were p1ss poor in the inter pros.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

i used to joke that in a few years munster rugby would just be a finishing school for the leinster academy. didn't realise the problem was this bad though. they seriously have no one who can even make the squad?
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

slum wrote:i used to joke that in a few years munster rugby would just be a finishing school for the leinster academy. didn't realise the problem was this bad though. they seriously have no one who can even make the squad?
where abouts is this bridge that you live under
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

munster#1 wrote:
have been to some of the munster under 20s games, and too be fair the players aren't there. not lack of training or investment as i'd say it is parallel to leinster.
they were p1ss poor in the inter pros.
There were a fair few in last years team, Butler, Archer, O'Callaghan come to mind, there was a lot of talk about O'Hara too but I think he was injured.
Is Hanrahan injured? Considering it's only Italy there might be a few changes in the squad before the bigger games.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I hope this doesn't mean Conway will be unavailable to Leinster for next weekend, utter waste of his talents to play at under-age levels instead of playing in the ML.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Of course it does. Country 1st. Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just the way it is.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

embarrassing by munster. an absolute disgrace :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i like the look of that backline though. i haven't seen too much of jackson...someone said he is very good but a kicking 10..is this true? if thats the case it seems strange having marsh on the bench who is one of the best young running outhalves around, i suppose he could make a good impact off the bench
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Of course it does. Country 1st. Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just the way it is.
a complete waste of his talent. We should be blooding as many players as possible at this level during the 6N to prepare for the U-20 tournament in the summer, which is a much better yardstick. At this level, the player has to come first. It's about development and the ML is a much higher standard.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Eristic wrote: Is Hanrahan injured? Considering it's only Italy there might be a few changes in the squad before the bigger games.
That centre partnership will be the Irish centre partnership for the next 10+ years. I haven't seen McIlroy that I can recall, but outside him, from 10 to 15, that backline is probably the most talented we've ever had, at this level certainly (and I'm aware of a certain successful previous bunch of young chaps)
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Kinda surprised they're using Conway, cause Sam Coughlan Murray is a real prospect too. Still a back three of him, Gilroy and Andrew Boyle is extremely exciting. Can't wait to see Marshall and Kelly together again in the centre. Shows how highly they're rated that Macken has to make do with the bench. JJ Hanrahan was Munster's best chance of representation but the competition was just too fierce.

Any tv coverage of this does any know?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:Kinda surprised they're using Conway, cause Sam Coughlan Murray is a real prospect too. Still a back three of him, Gilroy and Andrew Boyle is extremely exciting. Can't wait to see Marshall and Kelly together again in the centre. Shows how highly they're rated that Macken has to make do with the bench. JJ Hanrahan was Munster's best chance of representation but the competition was just too fierce.

Any tv coverage of this does any know?
Actually, forgot he wasn't playing (see my previous post), but Gilroy is an incredible prospect too, so they can interchange :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

To answer my own question:

There will be live web only coverage (Ireland only) of Friday's match on http://www.rte.ie, beginning at 5.55pm. Commentary will be provided by Gary Moran and Mark McDermott.

Sweet. Nice appetiser for England-Wales!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

true blue 06 wrote: i like the look of that backline though. i haven't seen too much of jackson...someone said he is very good but a kicking 10..is this true? if thats the case it seems strange having marsh on the bench who is one of the best young running outhalves around, i suppose he could make a good impact off the bench
From what I've seen of Jackson, he's far from just being a kicker. Looks a real good all-rounder.