Ravenhill to host Ireland - Italy international in 2007

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
El Diablo wrote: Guys
I disagree with u on Irelands Call. Look around you the next time you are in L Rd. The vast majority of people are belting it out with gusto. I guarantee you could be here 'til doomsday and you wouldn't get more than 50 or 60% support for any one tune. It's as good as it gets.
It is going to take time to bed in like anything new but I hope it's here to stay.
Have to agree with you El D. It does seem to have caught on and it is relatively rousing (although I think the French anthem is probably the best for a rousing tune). I think this particular battle is over.
Reminds me of a funny story from Toulouse - we were out drinking on the Sunday night with a bunch of Toulouse supporters who sang La Marsellaise for us and asked us to then sing the Irish national anthem. So we launched into a rousing chorus of Amhran na bhFiann only to have them get upset at us for singing the "wrong" song. We eventually realised they wanted Ireland's Call, so we sang that for them too and they were happy again!

:D
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
El Diablo wrote: Guys
I disagree with u on Irelands Call. Look around you the next time you are in L Rd. The vast majority of people are belting it out with gusto. I guarantee you could be here 'til doomsday and you wouldn't get more than 50 or 60% support for any one tune. It's as good as it gets.
It is going to take time to bed in like anything new but I hope it's here to stay.
Have to agree with you El D. It does seem to have caught on and it is relatively rousing (although I think the French anthem is probably the best for a rousing tune). I think this particular battle is over.
Reminds me of a funny story from Toulouse - we were out drinking on the Sunday night with a bunch of Toulouse supporters who sang La Marsellaise for us and asked us to then sing the Irish national anthem. So we launched into a rousing chorus of Amhran na bhFiann only to have them get upset at us for singing the "wrong" song. We eventually realised they wanted Ireland's Call, so we sang that for them too and they were happy again!

Did you not sing Leinsters Call :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote: Have to agree with you El D. It does seem to have caught on and it is relatively rousing (although I think the French anthem is probably the best for a rousing tune). I think this particular battle is over.

You could have given them Allez Les Blue :lol:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote: Have to agree with you El D. It does seem to have caught on and it is relatively rousing (although I think the French anthem is probably the best for a rousing tune). I think this particular battle is over.

How does that one go?
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote: Reminds me of a funny story from Toulouse - we were out drinking on the Sunday night with a bunch of Toulouse supporters who sang La Marsellaise for us and asked us to then sing the Irish national anthem. So we launched into a rousing chorus of Amhran na bhFiann only to have them get upset at us for singing the "wrong" song. We eventually realised they wanted Ireland's Call, so we sang that for them too and they were happy again!

How does that one go?

Same as Irelands Call only with Leinster substituted for Ireland and 11 proud counties for 4 proud provinces
I have Bumbleflex
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Did you not sing Leinsters Call :lol:
How does that one go?

Same as Irelands Call only with Leinster substituted for Ireland and 11 proud counties for 4 proud provinces
There are 11 counties in Leinster? I'm glad Uncle Mort didn't have a real geography round on Friday. :oops:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well, everyone tries to ignore Offaly :twisted:
I have Bumbleflex
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:Well, everyone tries to ignore Offaly :twisted:
You know honestly, I'm not entirely sure where it is. Do you need to go through there to get to Athlone?

I also don't belive in Leitrim - it's not in Leinster is it?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
You know honestly, I'm not entirely sure where it is. Do you need to go through there to get to Athlone?

its not, its in Connacht. Ballinamore is a fine town for going on the razz however
I have Bumbleflex
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:

its not, its in Connacht. Ballinamore is a fine town for going on the razz however
Is that in Offaly or Leitrim?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote: You know honestly, I'm not entirely sure where it is. Do you need to go through there to get to Athlone?

Leitrim
I have Bumbleflex
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: its not, its in Connacht. Ballinamore is a fine town for going on the razz however
Leitrim
And where's that again?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote: Is that in Offaly or Leitrim?
Leitrim
And where's that again?
Munster
I have Bumbleflex
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Leitrim
And where's that again?
Munster
Which is where relative to Offaly?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tara wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Tara wrote: And where's that again?
Munster
Which is where relative to Offaly?
Munster is to the north east of Offaly
I have Bumbleflex
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I heard Ian Paisley the younger on Newstalk 106 this morning having a whinge that GSTQ was not to be played in Belfast at the Ireland V Italy game (I presume they won't play the Sex Pistols version either) ... But it got me thinking, wasn't it not himself and his cronies who protested about Ulster playing Leicester on a Sunday a few years back in the H Cup. Are these fellas never happy??? What next - sell only Harp in the beer tent ?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Mauler wrote:I heard Ian Paisley the younger on Newstalk 106 this morning having a whinge that GSTQ was not to be played in Belfast at the Ireland V Italy game (I presume they won't play the Sex Pistols version either) ... But it got me thinking, wasn't it not himself and his cronies who protested about Ulster playing Leicester on a Sunday a few years back in the H Cup. Are these fellas never happy??? What next - sell only Harp in the beer tent ?
mauler,

Have to agree. GSTQ is played in England in the absence of a local English song for the RFU. Flower of Scotland/Bread of Heaven are not national anthems as far as I know, so given that the Union governing Ulster rugby have an inclusive song developed specifically to accommodate Ulster, it's disingenuous for Paisley to suggest that there is any exclusion going on.

Having said all that, i thought playing the Sex Pistols version after the interview and smart arse Gilroy's setup of the track was in really bad taste.
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

Mauler wrote:I heard Ian Paisley the younger on Newstalk 106 this morning having a whinge that GSTQ was not to be played in Belfast at the Ireland V Italy game (I presume they won't play the Sex Pistols version either) ... But it got me thinking, wasn't it not himself and his cronies who protested about Ulster playing Leicester on a Sunday a few years back in the H Cup. Are these fellas never happy??? What next - sell only Harp in the beer tent ?

Harp, doesn't Harp represent a Fennian Free State beer. Ulsther says NO to Harp but yea to McEwans 'unionist' lager in the lager tent.
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo
Trevor Dempsey
Knowledgeable

Post by Trevor Dempsey »

If you want my opinion (you're getting it anyway), it's time to do away with the anthems & all that cr@p! The players should take to the field, pause for a photo & then play.... No hob-nobbing, no singing about chariots, flowers or rivers of blood flowing through fields (the French) & no dancing like a bunch of nancies thinking people are actually intimidated! JUST PLAY RUGBY!!!
'No rest until the Heineken cup is the possession of BOD almighty!'
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Trevor Dempsey wrote:If you want my opinion (you're getting it anyway), it's time to do away with the anthems & all that cr@p! The players should take to the field, pause for a photo & then play.... No hob-nobbing, no singing about chariots, flowers or rivers of blood flowing through fields (the French) & no dancing like a bunch of nancies thinking people are actually intimidated! JUST PLAY RUGBY!!!
That's the best plan all round and one that would be welcomed anywhere :D While they are at it ditch national flags as well, just use the relevant sports bodies. :D
Ps us Proddie Nordies drink Harp and Guinness in the Ravenhill beet tent and it was Ian Paisley senior that was singing a few hymns at the Sunday game, and good on him it brought us a memorable result that day :D Thought of inviting him back many a time. :lol: