Ravenhill to host Ireland - Italy international in 2007

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Ravenhill to host Ireland - Italy international in 2007

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ravenhill will host Ireland match

Ravenhill will host a full Ireland international for the first time in 53 years next August.

Italy will provide the opposition for the Irish at the home of Ulster rugby in 13 months time in a warm-up game prior to the World Cup.

The last Ireland match at Ravenhill was against Scotland in the 1953-54 season in the then Five Nations Championship.

The news of the fixture is a further boost for Ulster rugby in the wake of the Celtic League triumph last season.

Ulster star Andrew Trimble is now a regular in the Ireland side while the likes of Neil Best, Tommy Bowe and Isaac Boss are also making an impact at international level.
I have Bumbleflex
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ravenhill to host Ireland - Italy international in 2007

Post by sarah_lennon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ravenhill will host Ireland match

Ravenhill will host a full Ireland international for the first time in 53 years next August.

Italy will provide the opposition for the Irish at the home of Ulster rugby in 13 months time in a warm-up game prior to the World Cup.

The last Ireland match at Ravenhill was against Scotland in the 1953-54 season in the then Five Nations Championship.

The news of the fixture is a further boost for Ulster rugby in the wake of the Celtic League triumph last season.

Ulster star Andrew Trimble is now a regular in the Ireland side while the likes of Neil Best, Tommy Bowe and Isaac Boss are also making an impact at international level.

malheureusement :(
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

Interestingly, protocol would demand that God Save the Queen be played as the national anthem...
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

dingbat wrote:Interestingly, protocol would demand that God Save the Queen be played as the national anthem...
Maybe Humphs will finally sing (albeit from the stand)!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

dingbat wrote:Interestingly, protocol would demand that God Save the Queen be played as the national anthem...
Why would they play GSTQ? Wales and Scotland don't.

They should just play Ireland's Call and leave it at that. Even when we design a new, non-political song to avoid this very problem, it's still an issue.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Why would they play GSTQ? Wales and Scotland don't.

They should just play Ireland's Call and leave it at that. Even when we design a new, non-political song to avoid this very problem, it's still an issue.
GSTQ is the anthem of NI. They play it at the footie, Scotland and Wales dinnae!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

sarah_lennon wrote: GSTQ is the anthem of NI. They play it at the footie, Scotland and Wales dinnae!
Official anthem for NI?

Still, I can't see any credible argument for playing it, especially as Scotland and Wales don't.

Keep the political influence in sports to a minimum.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: GSTQ is the anthem of NI. They play it at the footie, Scotland and Wales dinnae!
Official anthem for NI?

Still, I can't see any credible argument for playing it, especially as Scotland and Wales don't.

Well it's the official anthem for the UK, so as such. Wales and Scotland chose to sing their own athems, AFAIK NI have no song of their own.

Maybe a rendition of Danny Boy?? :D
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Official anthem for NI?

The official position of the Union is that Irelands Call is the rugby anthem Irish representative sides. For home games the anthem of the host nation is played, along with an appropriate salute should the head of state (state not government) be present. For games in LR, AnaBh and IC are played, preceded by the presidential salute should she be present. In Ravers, GSTQ and IC will be played and if the queen is there, then whatever salute is appropriate (if any) will also be played
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Official anthem for NI?

Well it's the official anthem for the UK, so as such. Wales and Scotland chose to sing their own athems, AFAIK NI have no song of their own.

Maybe a rendition of Danny Boy?? :D
The national anthem of NI is GSTQ
I have Bumbleflex
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Official anthem for NI?

The official position of the Union is that Irelands Call is the rugby anthem Irish representative sides. For home games the anthem of the host nation is played, along with an appropriate salute should the head of state (state not government) be present. For games in LR, AnaBh and IC are played, preceded by the presidential salute should she be present. In Ravers, GSTQ and IC will be played and if the queen is there, then whatever salute is appropriate (if any) will also be played
So then if Mary Mac turns up (being president of 3 of the counties and an Ulshter woman) you'll have GSTQ, A na bF and Ireland's Call?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Official anthem for NI?

So then if Mary Mac turns up (being president of 3 of the counties and an Ulshter woman) you'll have GSTQ, A na bF and Ireland's Call?
No, shes not head of the state where the match takes place.
I have Bumbleflex
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

I can think of an appropriate salute to give the queen...... :D
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Are the rugby - going crowd in Ulshter predominantly ethnic Irish or Brits?? Just wondering how this state of affairs would go down?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

sarah_lennon wrote:Are the rugby - going crowd in Ulshter predominantly ethnic Irish or Brits?? Just wondering how this state of affairs would go down?

They eat more oranges than apples I'd say.....
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I have to say that personally, I have no problem with GSTQ being played. Not that I'm a west Brit or anything, I just think that they've had to endure A na F for years and that's quite a difficult thing for them, but they haven't complained or moaned about it, and the NI prod players have accepted it with grace, so I think we're secure and mature enough as a nation now to accept GSTQ being played in Ravers.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

sarah_lennon wrote:Are the rugby - going crowd in Ulshter predominantly ethnic Irish or Brits?? Just wondering how this state of affairs would go down?
Mostly middle class prods - educated types and a great bunch in my opinion.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The rugby going crowd in Ulster are predominently Ulstermen (or women).
I have Bumbleflex
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
The rugby going crowd in Ulster are predominently Ulstermen (or women).
em thanks!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Duff Paddy wrote:I have to say that personally, I have no problem with GSTQ being played. Not that I'm a west Brit or anything, I just think that they've had to endure A na F for years and that's quite a difficult thing for them, but they haven't complained or moaned about it, and the NI prod players have accepted it with grace, so I think we're secure and mature enough as a nation now to accept GSTQ being played in Ravers.
Absolutely, men for some of whom in their personal lives AnaF is a total anathema stood respectfully for it in the cause of irish rugby, the least we can do is return the favour.
I have Bumbleflex