TV Coverage of Summer Matches

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jggy2003
Beginner

TV Coverage of Summer Matches

Post by jggy2003 »

I know it is a long time away, but we are playing Scotland,France (twice) and England in August. Are all these matches limited to Sky or does RTE and/or Setanta have rights? Any highlight programmes planned?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: TV Coverage of Summer Matches

Post by Darce »

Are they even on Sky?
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Warm up match against England will be on Sky at least - they have the rights to all England's warm up matches.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Makes sense...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I think Sky have rights to England's *home* warm-up games however Ireland obviously own the rights to their own home games so Ireland v England is more likely to be on RTE/BBC as AFAIK, Ireland has never sold games to Sky before.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

mikerob wrote:I think Sky have rights to England's *home* warm-up games however Ireland obviously own the rights to their own home games so Ireland v England is more likely to be on RTE/BBC as AFAIK, Ireland has never sold games to Sky before.
This details what England's arrangement is - home and away matches, which rules out BBC. Not sure if the "exclusively live" part only refers to Britain or whether the fact Sky is in Ireland too means that they are the only ones that can cover the Ireland-England match.

http://www.rfu.com/News/2008/November/N ... a=1&y=2008
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Eamon Ryan will have a canary....
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Vamos los azules wrote:
mikerob wrote:I think Sky have rights to England's *home* warm-up games however Ireland obviously own the rights to their own home games so Ireland v England is more likely to be on RTE/BBC as AFAIK, Ireland has never sold games to Sky before.
This details what England's arrangement is - home and away matches, which rules out BBC. Not sure if the "exclusively live" part only refers to Britain or whether the fact Sky is in Ireland too means that they are the only ones that can cover the Ireland-England match.

The RFU don't own the Irish rights to Irish games. They own the british rights to England games.

So, Ireland vs England in the Aviva outside of the 6 Nations/RWC will be on Sky in Great Britain and on whoever the IRFU sell the rights to on the Island of Ireland.
I have Bumbleflex
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:

The RFU don't own the Irish rights to Irish games. They own the british rights to England games.

So, Ireland vs England in the Aviva outside of the 6 Nations/RWC will be on Sky in Great Britain and on whoever the IRFU sell the rights to on the Island of Ireland.
Exactly. Wonder have RTE ever bid for summer tour coverage? They did the 2007 Argie tour IIRC.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:The RFU don't own the Irish rights to Irish games. They own the british rights to England games.
Indeed - which is why I referenced it as England's arrangement. I'm open to correction on this but do we not just get the same version of Sky over here? I don't care who has sold who the rights once it's on a channel we can access.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

combatlogo wrote: Exactly. Wonder have RTE ever bid for summer tour coverage? They did the 2007 Argie tour IIRC.
I think Sky own all SANZAR home game rights, hence we never see an Irish or Lions tour to the SH on anything but Sky. AFAIK the home team always has the choice of broadcaster rather than the touring team, this was also why for a few years Sky was the only place to watch England games from Twickenham in the 6N.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

TerenureJim wrote: I think Sky own all SANZAR home game rights, hence we never see an Irish or Lions tour to the SH on anything but Sky. AFAIK the home team always has the choice of broadcaster rather than the touring team, this was also why for a few years Sky was the only place to watch England games from Twickenham in the 6N.
Eh?? I thought the 6nations were designated one of those special event things in the UK which means every 6nations game is on terrestrial tv.

Anyhoo, I'd imagine that while the August game may be on Sky in the UK the away team has no say in who broadcasts it in the home nation.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

kermischocolate wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: I think Sky own all SANZAR home game rights, hence we never see an Irish or Lions tour to the SH on anything but Sky. AFAIK the home team always has the choice of broadcaster rather than the touring team, this was also why for a few years Sky was the only place to watch England games from Twickenham in the 6N.
Eh?? I thought the 6nations were designated one of those special event things in the UK which means every 6nations game is on terrestrial tv.

Anyhoo, I'd imagine that while the August game may be on Sky in the UK the away team has no say in who broadcasts it in the home nation.
Correct. The BBC has shown the (5)6 Nations for as long as I can remember.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Hornet wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

Correct. The BBC has shown the (5)6 Nations for as long as I can remember.
yes, the 6N games are on a list of sporting events that by law must be free to air. grand national is another.

can't think of anything else on over here worth watching :oops:
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

RTE are not showing them. They said that there next televised rugby would be Ireland v USA
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

berniemac67 wrote: yes, the 6N games are on a list of sporting events that by law must be free to air. grand national is another.

Incorrect, RWC final is only rugby union event which must be free to air. 6 Nations could be PPV, provided delayed coverage/highlights were on terrestrial tellybox.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

combatlogo wrote:
berniemac67 wrote: yes, the 6N games are on a list of sporting events that by law must be free to air. grand national is another.

Incorrect, RWC final is only rugby union event which must be free to air. 6 Nations could be PPV, provided delayed coverage/highlights were on terrestrial tellybox.
you are correct, i humbly apologise
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

berniemac67 wrote:
combatlogo wrote:

you are correct, i humbly apologise
No need. Interesting that it's only the RWC final, presumably based on the fact England have been to 3 of them. I'd imagine the demand/audience for a final without England would be far less than, say, a 6N game at HQ versus France or Ireland.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

combatlogo wrote:No need. Interesting that it's only the RWC final, presumably based on the fact England have been to 3 of them. I'd imagine the demand/audience for a final without England would be far less than, say, a 6N game at HQ versus France or Ireland.

i agree about demqand for rugby matches, 6N games are major events. just look at pub business.
that list has been in place since before they won in 2003, at the time they had only been to one final.

it's interestiong to look at the rest of the list. the entire FIFA world cup tournament!!! probably to make sure they get to see their team before they get home :lol:

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill