RWC; Speak Your Brains survey

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

RWC; Speak Your Brains survey

Post by Twist »

I see a few newspapers are already running these panel-style verdicts on the RWC where everyone answers the same questions in order to (to quote the S****y T***s) "settle the big World Cup issues".

So I thought a thread doing the same thing was called for - I have a pet theory that the analysis will be better informed and spelled than certain 'experts' can manage. (It's a big issue that needs settling)

I'm not going to give proper answers 'cos I think it's irritating when people interview themselves at tedious length. So, answer me........

1. Highlight(s) of the RWC

Ferris' making yards in possession of Genia, for many reasons. It was a clear sign we were on top, a big psychological blow to Aus, and rather made a point to the SH. Canada's attitude. The faces of the American's after their win. Also, the knowledge of what the WC win will do for the spirits of Kiwis after the earthquake.

2. Lowlight(s) of the RWC

Tough call. Contenders are; Ireland's defence v Wales, cr@p refereeing (in particular of NZ), unfair scheduling for the minnows, abuse directed at Owens and Rolland.

3. Player of the tournament

Me. One time I stayed up aaaaalllllll night. :D

4. Gob shyte of the tournament?

I thought that Samoan had it in the bag but I reckoned without Warren "I-didn't-cheat-aren't-I-great?" Gatland.

5. Game of the tournament

I sound awfully parochial here, but Ire v Aus changed the shape of the tournament and was played with real ferocity. The final was a proper battle too but it's stating the obvious to say how important that was! Aus v SA tore up everything I thought I knew about rugby, which was nice.

6. Team of the tournament

The spotted Pumas. Edging out Wales because they were up against so, so much what with injuries, age and spending less time together than other Tier 1 nations.

7. Change you'd like at the next RWC

I think Francis' suggestion of a plate is a good one. Video ref to be used at referees complete discretion. I've read that a down payment of 100 million euros will be reqd to host RWC from 2019 on. f%~k that. It rules out small nations like NZ, us, Wales, Scotland & probably Argentina

8. Was it a red card?

Oui.

9. Overall verdict

Looks like it was an awesome tournament to be at, but I don't think the rugby was great. NZ went into their shell towards the end, only two shocks and only one mattered.