Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bids are in: Ireland, France, SA, Italy

France have had it before and theres the security fears plus t14 acting up
SA have their political problems and Japan dont count as NH really if they play in Pacific Nations Cup and Super rugby
Italy lack our rugby political muscle
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

But French Government seriously want to get 2024 Olympics for the centenary of their only previous Olympics in 1924 and a certain M. Lapasset has been elected Chairman / President of French Olympic bid.

Paris administration area have been voted €30m to support French bid for 2023 as a dress rehearsal, including security, for Olympic bid.

France are the front runners. Lapasset knows the bid criteria and has a lot of votes accumulated within World Rugby from funding pledges & international fixtures arranged over past 8 years for teams ranked from 12th to 40th in World Rankings.

This will be an Olympic / FIFA type venue battle, not a fair bidding process.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Didnt know that

Hopefully our crooked IRB connections will help
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:Bids are in: Ireland, France, SA, Italy

SA have their political problems and Japan dont count as NH really if they play in Pacific Nations Cup and Super rugby
Plus France are guaranteed to have ATC and transport strikes at the best/worst possible times - they make the Luas drivers look like a reasonable bunch.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:

Plus France are guaranteed to have ATC and transport strikes at the best/worst possible times - they make the Luas drivers look like a reasonable bunch.
Thats going on at the moment :)
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dexter wrote:

If there are any security alerts during the soccer this summer then that will probably hurt the French chances. Ourselves and Italy are the only ones not to have held it before and whatever about political muscle we probably have a bigger domestic fan base who will buy tickets.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dexter wrote:

You could make that statement at any point in time and it would be true! :)
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ha true

But twas on the radio yesterday, air traffic guys on strike again and the Commy trade union have organised strikes, know there were walkouts at the nuclear power plants and blockades of ports (fuel terminals?)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ha true

But twas on the radio yesterday, air traffic guys on strike again and the Commy trade union have organised strikes, know there were walkouts at the nuclear power plants and blockades of ports (fuel terminals?)
Massive queues outside petrol stations. Riots everywhere, mad so it is.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Ha true

Massive queues outside petrol stations. Riots everywhere, mad so it is.
whereas we had one guy in a cemetery arrested by a Canadian, advantage Ireland
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

GAA claim Casement will be built without having to purchase any houses etc and will address the exit problems in new plans.
Personally I wonder how they will sort that out with lack of access from all but one end.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ireland have been playing friendlies against lower ranked teams for the sake of the 2023 RWC lately. Georgia in 2014, Canada in 2016. Japan tour in 2017. France unlikely to get it 16 years after having it before. A RWC in a 'small' country, far more isolated than our own, worked in New Zealand.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's not purely for RWC purposes. There is now a World Rugby coordinated fixture list where they ensure that Tier 1 Nations must play capped internationals against Nations that have been supported by World Rugby Coaches ( e.g. Bradley in Georgia for 3 seasons).

In every formal window (June, Feb - Apr, Nov) there are a range of fixtures across the world. Georgia drew with Samoa last weekend in Samoa and play Fiji and Tonga also etc.

So, yes we're doing our bit with an eye on WR voted, bit it's not totally altruistic
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Plus, all the votes of the Tier 2 and below nations combined wouldn't be sufficient to force a discussion on the type of coffee served at the meeting, let alone the destination of the world cup
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I would hope that the trouble in France right now is counting against them.I know it'll be a different crowd but you'd have to worry about things like flares making it into the grounds.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I would hope that the trouble in France right now is counting against them.I know it'll be a different crowd but you'd have to worry about things like flares making it into the grounds.
Boudjellal when asked if rugby could suffer from hooliganism like soccer wrote:We're protected because the rules are more complex. In general these types of cretins don't know how to read or write. They have trouble understanding rugby's rules. Putting a ball in a net, they can understand that. But beyond that, they have a very limited IQ.
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I would hope that the trouble in France right now is counting against them.I know it'll be a different crowd but you'd have to worry about things like flares making it into the grounds.
I'd say that security overall would count against us, no? If some ISIS lunatic wanted to travel over to attack the USA team or England team, would we have sufficient intelligence and counter terrorism forces to uncover it? Doubtful.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Boudjellal when asked if rugby could suffer from hooliganism like soccer wrote:We're protected because the rules are more complex. In general these types of cretins don't know how to read or write. They have trouble understanding rugby's rules. Putting a ball in a net, they can understand that. But beyond that, they have a very limited IQ.
I don't like him but that's pretty funny :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I'd say that security overall would count against us, no? If some ISIS lunatic wanted to travel over to attack the USA team or England team, would we have sufficient intelligence and counter terrorism forces to uncover it? Doubtful.
Quite possibly, it's just that I'd have thought the promises they made for the football would then mean there was a black mark against them when they didn't work out. I see what you're saying though. Although every Hutch/Kinehan that gets killed seems to have been told by the Gards that they were in danger so perhaps our intelligence is top notch!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CiaranIrl wrote:would we have sufficient intelligence and counter terrorism forces to uncover it? Doubtful.
I think you'd be surprised. G2 and the ARW are a formidable and quite nasty combination
I have Bumbleflex