RWC 2023: Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by TerenureJim »

Fred Funk wrote:I am all for this.
Just remember when you are comparing to NZ that we are surrounded by numerous rugby nations with strong followings.
Capacities have to be much better across the board than NZ. We either need the GAA or we need Scotland/England/Wales to help.
Lets start the negotiations.
So you're essentally backing up the arguement that we'll get more tourists/fans over than NZ 2011 well that's fantastic. Does anyone know if the IRB have specific criteria laid out regarding the number and capacity of venues required at minimum to hold a World Cup. I honestly think we as a country are a perfect size to host the perfect tournament. Can you imagine how much of a party it'd be for the country? I think anecdotally they estimate that the average homw six nations game is worth about €50m to the economy so do the math there if the event was going on for 6 to 8 weeks.... I think that'd pay for investment in a stadium or two. Stadiums which would easily have a life after the event if planned and located right.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Fred Funk wrote:I am all for this.
Just remember when you are comparing to NZ that we are surrounded by numerous rugby nations with strong followings.
Capacities have to be much better across the board than NZ. We either need the GAA or we need Scotland/England/Wales to help.
Lets start the negotiations.
So you're essentally backing up the arguement that we'll get more tourists/fans over than NZ 2011 well that's fantastic. Does anyone know if the IRB have specific criteria laid out regarding the number and capacity of venues required at minimum to hold a World Cup. I honestly think we as a country are a perfect size to host the perfect tournament. Can you imagine how much of a party it'd be for the country? I think anecdotally they estimate that the average homw six nations game is worth about €50m to the economy so do the math there if the event was going on for 6 to 8 weeks.... I think that'd pay for investment in a stadium or two. Stadiums which would easily have a life after the event if planned and located right.
Lads on OTB last night mentioned that the smallest capacity stadium in NZ2011 was 17,500 - Not all seated -
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Lads on OTB last night mentioned that the smallest capacity stadium in NZ2011 was 17,500 - Not all seated -
Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?

Tonga V Samoa in the RDS? Leinster playing Aironi 2 days later.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

When I saw the thread title I thought it was another one of those "who would be your team in..." threads :lol:
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

TerenureJim wrote:I'm going out on a limb here but culturally I would understand sport to play a far higher role in Irish life than it does in Korean society
Culturally, I'm not too sure about that. Team sports, maybe, but Korea, like most East Asian countries, are geared towards individual sports and martial arts, like taekwondo. Taekwondo is very important to the national psyche after it was one of the many things the Japanese supressed during their occupation (they will tell you this on a regular basis). Every child in the country does taewando or some form of martial arts. It is hugely important culturally. Korea has also bid for both forms of upcoming Olympic Games (and were successful in getting the 2018 Winter Olympics, their cherished goal, because skaters like Kim Yu-na, more so than Park Ji-sung, are the real heroes over here). They're also churning out golfers all over the place, even though the sport in inaccessible to 90% of the population.

Interest in team sports mirrors the heavy American presence on the peninsula. Baseball is far and away the biggest team sport, with regular sell outs, especially this time of the season. Basketball is popular too.

But, anyway................another 'issue' I have with using GAA grounds is their pitches are far bigger than rugby and in CP, especially, the distance between fans and players is too big. The atmosphere suffered.

I'd love to see the RWC in Ireland but I'd imagine that A LOT of people would argue heavily that the funds needed to redevelop and build (whatever it may be) would be better used elsewhere. Did I not read a NZ official saying they would actually be making a loss, and not a profit, from this tournament? Look at all the UK protestors bitching about the money going towards the Olympics. Also, unless the IRB drops the £100million or whatever it is to host the RWC, I can't see where the backing will come from. Sadly.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

suisse wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:I'm going out on a limb here but culturally I would understand sport to play a far higher role in Irish life than it does in Korean society
Culturally, I'm not too sure about that. Team sports, maybe, but Korea, like most East Asian countries, are geared towards individual sports and martial arts, like taekwondo. Taekwondo is very important to the national psyche after it was one of the many things the Japanese supressed during their occupation (they will tell you this on a regular basis). Every child in the country does taewando or some form of martial arts. It is hugely important culturally. Korea has also bid for both forms of upcoming Olympic Games (and were successful in getting the 2018 Winter Olympics, their cherished goal, because skaters like Kim Yu-na, more so than Park Ji-sung, are the real heroes over here). They're also churning out golfers all over the place, even though the sport in inaccessible to 90% of the population.

Interest in team sports mirrors the heavy American presence on the peninsula. Baseball is far and away the biggest team sport, with regular sell outs, especially this time of the season. Basketball is popular too.

But, anyway................another 'issue' I have with using GAA grounds is their pitches are far bigger than rugby and in CP, especially, the distance between fans and players is too big. The atmosphere suffered.

I'd love to see the RWC in Ireland but I'd imagine that A LOT of people would argue heavily that the funds needed to redevelop and build (whatever it may be) would be better used elsewhere. Did I not read a NZ official saying they would actually be making a loss, and not a profit, from this tournament? Look at all the UK protestors bitching about the money going towards the Olympics. Also, unless the IRB drops the £100million or whatever it is to host the RWC, I can't see where the backing will come from. Sadly.
Well due to a bookkeeping error the country is €3.6bn better off this week then we were last week. I say we ring fence €500m of that and invest it in something that the country can be proud of. Don't sink it into the balck hole of the banks, the HSE, integrated ticketing, spacial plans. Give us a global event lads!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

suisse wrote:

Denis O'Brien maybe?

Seriously though, most large tounaments make a loss - its the revenue afterwards (normally tourism) is whats looked at (Olympic games, RWC's etc). . its normally a case of short term pain (a loss) for a long term gain.

Can't see it getting off the ground here :( - to many vested interests that wouldn't be able to agree on things
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Degz wrote:I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that italy will be awarded the 2023 world cup, and I, for one, cannot farking wait to get over there for it.
Having enjoyed the delights of Rome back in February one would have to concur! :)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Have to disagree with the idea that larger pitches is a major issue. The atmosphere in Croker for England 07, France 09 and Leinster v Munster 09 was superb. Special games, I know, but the World Cup is special too.

The effect is far more pronounced in the SH at cricket ovals and seems not to be a problem. Sade de France is spacious too. It's only around half of the venues we're discussing anyway so I reckon it's not a major issue
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone catch Off The Ball last night, they did a great piece just after 8pm on the feasability of hosting the RWC. Really positive piece and decent contirbutions from Eddie O'Sullivan and David McWilliams. Really hope we get the ball rolling on this one somehow, it just seems like a winning project all round which will be a goal/boost for the country and all it's sporting organisations.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

2019 is the IRB taking a bit of a punt in Japan, so I can see them returning to one of the traditional countries for 2023, probably S Africa, maybe Australia.

2027 could be the year they try something different again. If the USA got their act together with a bid (or a joint US/Canada bid) I can see the IRB wanting to got there.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

mikerob wrote:2019 is the IRB taking a bit of a punt in Japan, so I can see them returning to one of the traditional countries for 2023, probably S Africa, maybe Australia.
I could see them choosing SA but not Australia as they've already hosted two tournaments and after loosing out on TV deals for the Japan tournament due to tiem difference I'd say they'd be loathe to go for early starts for European TV twice in a row. On SA it's hard to knwo what the political situation will be there in a little over ten years as once the more senior ANC members (Mandella, Tabo Mbeki etc.) are gone as figureheads in the party and the likes of Zuma, a very odd character, get more power its a slippery slope towards the unknown and dare I say it potential Zimbabwe like situation.
mikerob wrote:2027 could be the year they try something different again. If the USA got their act together with a bid (or a joint US/Canada bid) I can see the IRB wanting to got there.
I'd be all for a RWC in the US but it'd have to be located in and around two-three States in certain geographical areas to get recognised. Otherwise the country is just too big and the tournament would be lost in the day to day of American life. Canada would be more of a runner as while it's big there is a small population centered around some really nice cities which, aside from Vancouver, are all realtively comutable distance between each other.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Yeah, I agree that Australia isn't very likely for 2023.

Italy could be a strong candidate if they could get their act together. The biggest issue with Italy is probably the competence of the FIR as they haven't even been able to submit a successful bid for a HEC final.

On the US/Canada thing, last week I listened to a rugby podcast with Nigel Melville, the USA rugby CEO and he said they were beginning to discuss whether they wanted to put together a bid for a future RWC and they had some discussions with the Canadians for a joint N American bid. It certainly isn't a done deal that they will be bidding but they are talking about it.

If it was in N America, I don't think it is that important the entire competition is played in the same area. After all, in RWC 2003 they played games in Western Australia, S Australia and Tasmania.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Minister for Sport Leo Varadkar says he's interested in the possibility of Ireland biddng for the 2023 RWC and being sole hosts is do-able but he would have to study financial commitments before going any further.

That's according to Sinead Kissane on twitter.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Broken Wing wrote:Minister for Sport Leo Varadkar says he's interested in jumping on a bandwagon started elsewhere because he hasn't much of a clue about sport and lacks any original thinking, like most politicans, but sees a chance to get his name in the paper and associated with people like Brian O'Driscoll and Ronan O'Gara who seem to be very popular altogether.

That's according to Sinead Kissane on twitter.
Fixed that one for you.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

If it brings the 2023 RWC final to Croke Park I'm fine with bandwagon jumping politicians.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Does anyone know when the last we attemped a bid for a RWC? Seem to remember some talk of a joint celtic bid for 2015 before england were awarded it, but that could just be me making stuff up!
BOD is GOD!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Brilliant thread. I have been talking about this for ages. We have most of the facilities already and you can guarantee it would be one hoge party. I think every real rugby fan anywhere in the world would love to come here for a festival of rugby here. ONE problem.... you can guarantee that the conservative IRFU and the inept politicians would never get it sorted. What we need is RWC23 company to be set up to drive the bid. This is one of the few major world sporting events we could host.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Going by some of the grounds in NZ, Donnybrook or the sportsground could nearly host RWC games
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Our cost base would need to come down considerably before we'd want to bid for the RWC, couldn't have sky high ticket prices to pay for it.

We are not short of hotel accommodation anyway!!