Martin Johnson quits

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Martin Johnson quits

Post by Mauler »

England team manager Martin Johnson has stood down after three and a half years in the role.

His decision follows a miserable World Cup which ended in quarter-final defeat by France and featured a series of on and off-field controversies.

The 41-year-old won 84 caps for England as a player, leading the side to victory in the 2003 World Cup.

Johnson and the Rugby Football Union's director of elite rugby Rob Andrew will hold a press conference at 1600 GMT.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 756480.stm
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Martin Johnson quits

Post by Scott »

If i were a munster fan i would be hoping Jim Mallinder gets the job
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

The important thing with Johnson quitting is that all the suits get to keep their jobs and the blame is cast squarely on the departing coach and senior players.

As an Irish fan I'd hope that Malinder gets the job.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

If he was smart he would have never accepted the job in the first place. International rugby is not the place to learn your trade and ultimately he paid the price for picking his old mates too much and not being able to discipline some of the younger brigade.

I'd agree with the comments about Mallinder getting the job.

Don't know how that little weasel Rob Andrew continually keeps his job though. England badly need a clear-out and to start again.
Last edited by Donny B. on November 16th, 2011, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

God I'm going to miss that guy something fierce
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Be afraid, very afraid if the RFU get sensible and employ Mallet or White
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Bit of a gobshite in how he dealt with the media knowing full well they wanted to dine out on English scandals.
Acted more as an off- field captain than Manager in that regard.

Never helped England progress, some new faces- same old tactics. Hope he gets a new position and stays in the game but as donny says, somewhere that he can learn his trade the proper way.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Leinster Exile wrote:Be afraid, very afraid if the RFU get sensible and employ Mallet or White
Johnson 2.0
Daniel Sullivan
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Peg Leg wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:Be afraid, very afraid if the RFU get sensible and employ Mallet or White
Johnson 2.0
Yeah perhaps. I was wondering why he hadn't been given a big job since leaving SA. I presume the RFU will do something mad and ask Geoff Cook if he wants another go
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

If Leicester Tigers lose at the weekend to Ulster, it could put Richard Cockerill be under pressure after 5 defeats and a draw in opening 8 games of the AP not to mention the thumping Llanelli gave them in the LV Cup. Maybe MJ might be eying up a come back to his old stomping ground?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Mauler wrote:If Leicester Tigers lose at the weekend to Ulster, it could put Richard Cockerill be under pressure after 5 defeats and a draw in opening 8 games of the AP not to mention the thumping Llanelli gave them in the LV Cup. Maybe MJ might be eying up a come back to his old stomping ground?
I suspect he'll be fairly toxic for the next while. Sure, he delivered a 6N title this year but England have generally underperformed during his tenure. Even their victory earlier this year was heavily tainted by being belted by us in the grand slam game.

Hopefully England will pick someone who's completely uninventive and over-rated as a coach, as they have done with their last three. Dean Ryan is out of a job isn't he!?
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tackle-bag wrote:I suspect he'll be fairly toxic for the next while. Sure, he delivered a 6N title this year but England have generally underperformed during his tenure. Even their victory earlier this year was heavily tainted by being belted by us in the grand slam game.

Hopefully England will pick someone who's completely uninventive and over-rated as a coach, as they have done with their last three. Dean Ryan is out of a job isn't he!?
Really more by default then by going out and winning it, we had France but for a knock on and Wales well you tell me who won that game given a 6 point difference and 7 points that they shouldnt have gotten nevermind Paddy Wallace not passing at the death.

The one game they looked good in was against Italy at home.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:I suspect he'll be fairly toxic for the next while. Sure, he delivered a 6N title this year but England have generally underperformed during his tenure. Even their victory earlier this year was heavily tainted by being belted by us in the grand slam game.

Really more by default then by going out and winning it, we had France but for a knock on and Wales well you tell me who won that game given a 6 point difference and 7 points that they shouldnt have gotten nevermind Paddy Wallace not passing at the death.

The one game they looked good in was against Italy at home.
As well as that may be- we don't get to write the history books. The 6N win will be above his name on the CV!
Daniel Sullivan
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Martin Johnson wrote:If I hadn't made it [decision to quit], maybe someone would have made it for me
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Rob Andrews , take a bow
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

tackle-bag wrote: Hopefully England will pick someone who's completely uninventive and over-rated as a coach, as they have done with their last three.
Nah, unfortunately Kidney isn't going anywhere.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Blåränderna
Graduate

Post by Blåränderna »

Despite appearances, that definitely wasn't his call. England's world cup was a disaster in terms of media and, somewhat, results. Himself and Tindall had to get the bullet. . . Come to think of it. You think Johnson would go coach Munster?
Pack Man

Post by Pack Man »

Surprised no one here has mentioned this guy as a successor yet but as someone commented on the demented mole blog (excellent site in my opinion www.dementedmole.wordpress.com ), Eagle Eye Eddie has also left the USA job.

The Times reporting Eddie as leaving to "pursue options closer to home." while also dropping in that his manager has been quoted as saying that Eddie O is currently reviewing some "interesting offers" !

Any opinions of how that would work out for them / us?

I have lots of opinions on the matter but I'm already well fed up of typing on my phone on the bus in the rain!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

The news conference was ridiculous, Rob Andrew ran out of the place
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Hm, Eddie O'Sullivan just announced he's not staying with the Eagles and is considering "opportunities closer to home".........

although I think the RFU are too busy shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic just at the moment to actually think about approaching any coaches if Edwards reckons he never heard from them.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".