Kidney OUT

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Kidney OUT

Post by Ultra Vires »

This guy is out of his depth. He picks the same team (essentially) and plays the same tactics and expects a different result. He takes 15 great players and turns them into muppets. Gatland takes 15 decent players and makes them superstars.

We have a HC winning halfback combo of Sexton and Reddan / Boss. He doesn't even have Boss in the squad. He starts with Murray who has done nothing to justify being Irelands supposedly no 1 scrumhalf. Why?

Any eejit can tell you by now that Wales will use their big strong centres to plough through us but he insists on picking the smallest centres we have. Drico can manage it because he's a legend. Nobody else. And it could have been worse today. He wanted Earls in the centre!! Roberts and North would have laughed at him and he'd have fallen over.

Peter O'Mahony parachuted onto the bench after a decent half season. SOB and Mike Ross couldn't buy a start until every other player in their position was out injured. More Munster bias.

France will make fools of us next week and so will England. We'll struggle to beat Scotland and Italy. I predict our worst 6 Nations since 2008 when EOS also stuck with the same WC underachieving team to satisfy his own ego. We will have the same result. DK to be gone by April. And good riddance.

Will the powers that be please recognise that we have to hire a top of the line southern hemisphere coach with new ideas and NO provincial bias.
The Bird is the Word
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Re: Kidney OUT

Post by Justtoby »

Ireland's record against tier 1 countries since the 2009 Grand Slam:

Played 25, Won 10, Drew 1, Lost 14. Take out games against Italy and Ireland have won 7 and lost 14. With the players he has at his disposal, that's a dreadfully poor record.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

It's not the results, it is the performances that should draw the most criticism. Most of our wins have come playing Puke Rugby. Both O'Sullivan & now Kidney have Ireland playing negative percentage, kick possession away rugby. Essentially just trying not to lose instead of going out to win. Complete waste of the talent at his disposal. The guy has only one limited vision and the teams he sends out invariably are conditioned to play only one way...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thats the one positive I took from the Welsh game. We are one game closer to getting a decent coach.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

Who would people hire? I think after O'Shea no Irish man should manage to much provincial sh*t IMO otherwise

Edit: not saying it should be O'Shea, dont know if we could get him but in looking realistically who could we get
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

IMO When Leinster are playing any oppo that halftime is a godsend, that we have a coaching ticket capable of reading a game and making the changes (personell or otherwise) neccesary. With Ireland I just expect our halfbacks to be changed.

It will not suprise me next week when Earls is picked at 13 and McFadden is dropped from the squad altogether.

It must take effort to actually get so little from so much.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just to add, is it just me or do we have a tendancy to try to beat every opponent at their own strengths? Ok its Wales lets try and charge over them. No doubt we will try to play it fast, wide and loose in Paris next week!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
backey
Learner
Location: where quality rugby lives where else of course LEINSTER

Post by backey »

Someone once said that the definition of insanity "was to do the same thing over and over again whilst expecting a different result each time " sounds like deccie has a touch of insanity in my opinion. he has continually put out the same team (basically) game after game last two v Wales as an example and he expects a completely different result.
Wake up IRFU we need a coach who is progressive and not provioncially biased
full time rugby fan
Blåränderna
Graduate

Post by Blåränderna »

That absolute moron needs to quit and let Ireland play the way the provinces prove we can. A blind monkey would do a better job. Declan Kidney, please leave before we make you.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

No love for Michael Bradley? Did well at Connacht, doing brilliantly in Scotland and at least had us looking the part on that end of season tour to Middle Earth
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

He is not going anywhere over the next two months.

Win in France and we will probably win the 6N.
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

backey wrote:Someone once said that the definition of insanity "was to do the same thing over and over again whilst expecting a different result each time " sounds like deccie has a touch of insanity in my opinion. he has continually put out the same team (basically) game after game last two v Wales as an example and he expects a completely different result.

Pathetic comment. 8 Leinster / 3 Munster players started. The vast majority of posters agree that all 3 Munstermen + D Ryan played well. Our main problems were

1. our lack of combativeness at the breakdown, which is primarily an issue for the backrow;
2. Sexton's lack of leadership and decision making - kicked far too much out of hand - and kicked badly;
3. an appalling, ponderous centre partnership who were simply blown away by a bunch of Welsh kids - McF will struggle to recover from being knocked 3 ft back on his arse by North in the build-up to Davies 2nd try; and
4. the overall malaise in our team, which saw us drifting in and out of the game - I hate to say this but some players just don't seem to care if we win or lose.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

mtleinster wrote:He is not going anywhere over the next two months.

We won't win in France.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Apocrypha wrote:
backey wrote:Someone once said that the definition of insanity "was to do the same thing over and over again whilst expecting a different result each time " sounds like deccie has a touch of insanity in my opinion. he has continually put out the same team (basically) game after game last two v Wales as an example and he expects a completely different result.

Pathetic comment. 8 Leinster / 3 Munster players started. The vast majority of posters agree that all 3 Munstermen + D Ryan played well. Our main problems were

1. our lack of combativeness at the breakdown, which is primarily an issue for the backrow;
2. Sexton's lack of leadership and decision making - kicked far too much out of hand - and kicked badly;
3. an appalling, ponderous centre partnership who were simply blown away by a bunch of Welsh kids - McF will struggle to recover from being knocked 3 ft back on his arse by North in the build-up to Davies 2nd try; and
4. the overall malaise in our team, which saw us drifting in and out of the game - I hate to say this but some players just don't seem to care if we win or lose.

We were combative at the breakdown but barnes let the tackled player on both sides hold on, so it was very hard to turn the ball over by jackalling. We did lack intensity in the ruck, as well as everywhere else.

Sexton was not good. End of.

Centres were not blown away. Every player has been barged over by a bigger guy at some stage, generally the centres defended well against 8 huge welsh backs. It's not a centre pairing I would ever choose, but they did ok. If they had been allowed to play to their strengths, they might have even done well against a great Welsh centre pairing.

We definitely drifted in and out of the game. Drifting was probably the biggest problem of the day.
Blåränderna
Graduate

Post by Blåränderna »

mtleinster wrote:He is not going anywhere over the next two months.

If you think we'll win in France you're dreaming.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Peg Leg wrote:It will not suprise me next week when Earls is picked at 13 and McFadden is dropped from the squad altogether.
Dont forget Sexton, chances are they will retain him until after the impending French massacre but hes due to be dropped soon too isnt he?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Apocrypha wrote:

1. our lack of combativeness at the breakdown, which is primarily an issue for the backrow; > Commit 2 players + SH to breakdown. (vs 5+ on occasion for Wales)-coaching direction perhaps?2. Sexton's lack of leadership and decision making - kicked far too much out of hand - and kicked badly; > do you think he might have been instructed to do so??
3. an appalling, ponderous centre partnership who were simply blown away by a bunch of Welsh kids - McF will struggle to recover from being knocked 3 ft back on his arse by North in the build-up to Davies 2nd try; and. > a little unfair in my opinion, and you're being patronising to some wonderfully talented Welsh backs.
4. the overall malaise in our team, which saw us drifting in and out of the game - I hate to say this but some players just don't seem to care if we win or lose. completely unfair to start blaming the players. Whatever way you look at it; there's a serious lack of direction and no discernable plan that will win at International level - thats down to the coach
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

have it from a good source that the squad is not happy with Kidney (and the backline coaching set up) and have not been for quite some time, lack of tactical appreciation, players mistreated (some subs ignored, very obvious and rigid pecking order, and kept in the dark whereas when they're at Leinster JS explains it all to them and lets them know why they're in/out etc and is no nice and honest about it it just makes them want to work even harder for them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Ultra Vires wrote:Peter O'Mahony parachuted onto the bench after a decent half season. SOB and Mike Ross couldn't buy a start until every other player in their position was out injured. More Munster bias
I agree St. Declan needs to go - and have been saying it for a while - and also that a new coach from outside Ireland needs to be brought in without any baggage but the comment highlighted above is wrong. You can't use the (non)selection of certain players in the past to question the selection of a player now. We constantly harped on about EOS and DK ignoring form, but here is the picking of a form back rower for the bench, and its still questioned? Yes, mistakes were made with SOB and Ross, but lets not continue them by not recognising POM's form this season. He deserved to be there, imo, and past squad seelctions hsould have no bearing.

WRT Kidney, what I always enjoyed about Leinster's recruitment policy is that they have never been afraid to select the lesser known candidate, such as Ruddock, Williams, Ella, Cheika and Schmidt (even if all are foreigners) and look how well, in most cases (sorry Gary) it has worked out? If, and hopefully when, Dekkie is shown the door, the usual names will be thrown out, like Kirwan, Mallet and Friends. Maybe Ireland could be more creative in their search, although Mallet would need to be snapped up immediately? But, either way, no coach from here please. Even if it saves having to read the trolls (not you UV) banging on about bias
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Apocrypha wrote:

Sexton did as he was told, otherwise Kidney would have hauled his ass off earlier as he has done previously. Kidneys teams do not get to play what's in front of them, they go out with a game plan and by god they stick with it despite what actually occurs during the game...

I'd say the Taffs were licking thier lips at the prospect of RO'G coming on, the traffic hitting that channel (North/Roberts/Davies for starters) would have reduced him to a gibbering wreck. The one thing Kidney did right was leave RO'G on the bench until the 75th minute..
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali