IRFU & no 16th man at the Aviva

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: IRFU & no 16th man at the Aviva

Post by Lar »

Look, its pretty straightforward regarding the atmosphere at Rugby matches. A good performance from a winning side generates a better atmosphere.

I was never a great fan of Croker, but the atmosphere we played England that first time, and then the performance that day, it was pretty amazing. Pretty morbid though when Scotland won the last 6N match there.

It was good at the new stadium when we beat England last March but we played well that day too.

Leinster have performed generally to a very high standard there whereas Ireland haven't. Hence the atmosphere at Leinster matches tends to be very good.

Like it or not it seems a lot of Irish Rugby fans (of whatever colour) are great at getting behind a team doing well, but are not so good when a struggling team needs a lift. This is of course a huge generalisation and I certainly notice it more in LR when Ireland play but then again Leinster have by and large been very successful in the last number of years.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lar wrote:Look, its pretty straightforward regarding the atmosphere at Rugby matches. A good performance from a winning side generates a better atmosphere.

I was never a great fan of Croker, but the atmosphere we played England that first time, and then the performance that day, it was pretty amazing. Pretty morbid though when Scotland won the last 6N match there.

It was good at the new stadium when we beat England last March but we played well that day too.

Leinster have performed generally to a very high standard there whereas Ireland haven't. Hence the atmosphere at Leinster matches tends to be very good.

Like it or not it seems a lot of Irish Rugby fans (of whatever colour) are great at getting behind a team doing well, but are not so good when a struggling team needs a lift. This is of course a huge generalisation and I certainly notice it more in LR when Ireland play but then again Leinster have by and large been very successful in the last number of years.
Not even a team doing well- playing with invention could be enough
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

kendalgerty wrote:
Hippo wrote: The attitude to Sexton from certain sections of the crowd has been a problem for quite a while now, and it seems to me that he's a target in a way that few other (Irish) players are.
I can't stand this, it makes me so cross. I witnessed it at the lamentable Irelnd v Scotland game when we butchered a triple crown. Two absolute muppets a few seats down for me started with their 'Get ROG on!' after Sexton missed a penalty. It's pretty disgusting to see people hoping for an Irish player to fail in a green jersey.
I think that day was probably the worst it has ever been. I can't recall another match where the booing was so bad that the opposition outhalf commented on the treatment of the home outhalf by the home fans.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

I think the lack of atmosphere at internationals is mainly down to the IRFU really and their efforts to turn international games in to mainly corporate events thanks to their stupid distribution of tickets.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I remember Irish games in the 80s, when we were fairly competitive. The crowd still went quiet when things weren't going well. It's nothing new.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:I heard lots of jeering and sections of the crowd laughing when Sexton was preparing to take kicks at goal, anybody know what that was about?
Maybe if the media (and website's like this) discouraged images and avators like RavenhillRaider people might move on:

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/memberlis ... ile&u=4790
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Hippo wrote:The attitude to Sexton from certain sections of the crowd has been a problem for quite a while now, and it seems to me that he's a target in a way that few other (Irish) players are. They don't like him at all down south, as anyone who's attended our games at Mordor could testify. This is a new phenomenon, ROG never had to deal with anything like that at the same stage of his career.

Matt Williams went on quite a rant about how badly ROG has been treated by the media and public over the years on Newstalk. No one had to put up with the shite that ROG & his family had to put up with. FFS, the Indo called him a lout. And some of the tabloids were on his doorstep spreading all sorts of rumours. Who was behind all of that?

ROG wrote about in his book some of the stuff his wife had to listen at international games and how difficult it was for her.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

janeymac08 wrote:
Hippo wrote:The attitude to Sexton from certain sections of the crowd has been a problem for quite a while now, and it seems to me that he's a target in a way that few other (Irish) players are. They don't like him at all down south, as anyone who's attended our games at Mordor could testify. This is a new phenomenon, ROG never had to deal with anything like that at the same stage of his career.

Matt Williams went on quite a rant about how badly ROG has been treated by the media and public over the years on Newstalk. No one had to put up with the shite that ROG & his family had to put up with. FFS, the Indo called him a lout. And some of the tabloids were on his doorstep spreading all sorts of rumours. Who was behind all of that?

ROG wrote about in his book some of the stuff his wife had to listen at international games and how difficult it was for her.

all well and good, but what has that got to do with sexton?

are you offering this as justification?

he must have really being acting the bollix if the munsterpendent called him names, and so he probably deserved it.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

janeymac08 wrote:

That's not right either. But two wrongs don't make a right.
Imo, the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road, is down to purely because it's full of day trippers for the Ireland games. I had the misfortune of taking a premium seat for the Leinster Munster game earlier this season. I couldn't believe it, it was cr@p. No atmosphere at all, two birds beside me chatting the whole way through, people hopping up to get drinks. I swore never ever again. At Ireland games, that's multiplied many times over.
LEINSTER pour toujours
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

he must have really being acting the bollix if the munsterpendent called him names, and so he probably deserved it.
eh, hippo made the point that only Sexton gets abuse. He isn't.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

simplythebest wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

That's not right either. But two wrongs don't make a right.
Imo, the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road, is down to purely because it's full of day trippers for the Ireland games. I had the misfortune of taking a premium seat for the Leinster Munster game earlier this season. I couldn't believe it, it was cr@p. No atmosphere at all, two birds beside me chatting the whole way through, people hopping up to get drinks. I swore never ever again. At Ireland games, that's multiplied many times over.
I used to go to a fair few Leinster games as I live in Dublin, so I know what you are talking about. The tiny mini skirts and the fake tanned goosepimpled legs was not a pretty sight but entertaining! :oops:

I gave up going to Leinster games though when the crowd looked and sounded a bit too pleased to see Peter Stringer being carted off on a stretcher.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

janeymac08 wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: Matt Williams went on quite a rant about how badly ROG has been treated by the media and public over the years on Newstalk. No one had to put up with the shite that ROG & his family had to put up with. FFS, the Indo called him a lout. And some of the tabloids were on his doorstep spreading all sorts of rumours. Who was behind all of that?

eh, hippo never claimed that only sexton gets abuse, at least not in this thread.

eh, he said he gets a lot of abuse, more than most others and more than rog got at the same stage in his career. eh, this doesn't seem too outrageous a statement to me.

and eh, he isn't what?

eh, so there!
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:[

eh, hippo never claimed that only sexton gets abuse, at least not in this thread.

eh, he said he gets a lot of abuse, more than most others and more than rog got at the same stage in his career. eh, this doesn't seem too outrageous a statement to me.

and eh, he isn't what?

eh, so there!

Well then, its a case of 'live by the sword, die by the sword'.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... =58&ty=138
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

janeymac08 wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: eh, hippo never claimed that only sexton gets abuse, at least not in this thread.

and eh, he isn't what?

eh, so there!

Well then, its a case of 'live by the sword, die by the sword'.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... =58&ty=138

thanks for this. you've made my day. this is nearly as good as rog sprinting in vain to catch bod as he runs under the posts a few minutes later. :D

i love your use of non sequiturs by the way, very impressive how everything you write is unconnected to what you are replying to.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

thanks for this. you've made my day. this is nearly as good as rog sprinting in vain to catch bod as he runs under the posts a few minutes later. :D

i love your use of non sequiturs by the way, very impressive how everything you write is unconnected to what you are replying to.
Bernie, I'll type slowly for you. Sexton isn't popular with a lot of the general public because they think he was very disrespectful to O'Gara. The long and the short of that is that if he is able to dish out abuse, people expect him to be able to take it as he has demonstrated that it is a a mode of communications that he seems at ease with.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Janeymac08

You might want to type even more slowly. One 'a' is enough; and mode is singular so its 'a mode of communication' . Now for the content: quite informative of your mindset really; full of generalisations, and misrepresentations. Why don't you just have the courage of your conviction and say what you really mean. Substitute 'me' for 'a lot of the general public', 'I' for 'they'; 'I' for 'people'. Now I know why I had you on ignore, not sure how you escaped. Off to fix that now.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

desperado wrote:Janeymac08

You might want to type even more slowly. One 'a' is enough; and mode is singular so its 'a mode of communication' . Now for the content: quite informative of your mindset really; full of generalisations, and misrepresentations. Why don't you just have the courage of your conviction and say what you really mean. Substitute 'me' for 'a lot of the general public', 'I' for 'they'; 'I' for 'people'. Now I know why I had you on ignore, not sure how you escaped. Off to fix that now.
Perhaps the mods could get us a top five table but I'm betting Janeymac08 is the most "ignored" poster on this site! :lol:
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Donny B. wrote:
desperado wrote:Janeymac08

Perhaps the mods could get us a top five table but I'm betting Janeymac08 is the most "ignored" poster on this site! :lol:
but then people miss so much good comedy

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

janeymac08 wrote:
Bernie, I'll type slowly for you. Sexton isn't popular with a lot of the general public because they think he was very disrespectful to O'Gara. The long and the short of that is that if he is able to dish out abuse, people expect him to be able to take it as he has demonstrated that it is a a mode of communications that he seems at ease with.

you can't type slowly enough to make sense

poor rog, he needs sympathy and protection because that horrible man was mean to him :lol:

even my 6 year old is more grown up than that

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

berniemac67 wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

you can't type slowly enough to make sense

poor rog, he needs sympathy and protection because that horrible man was mean to him :lol:

even my 6 year old is more grown up than that
Have been convinced for a very long time that janeymac08 is in actual fact a very young teenage girl. Some of the reactions on here at the mention of ROG's name remind me of how my daughter used to react when she was about 13 and I made fun of Chad Michael Murray (for those of you without teenage daughters he is a very pretty boy who was in a couple of lovey dovey films aimed specifically at teenage girls)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever