Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Post by TerenureJim »

tackle-bag wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:seems another Stan Wright type scenario, played NPC, v little or no Super Rugby, after a season or two of fulltime rugby he could come good
Bent will have two full seasons in the Hurricanes Super XV squad under his belt by the time he arrives in Dublin, in addition to 45+ provincial caps. Fair enough, he hasn't been a starter for any of that period but he has made about 5 appearances from the bench already this season. It's not enormous experience, but it's not to be sniffed at by the same token. He won't be new to professional rugby by any means.
How much frontline gametime did Mike Ross have before he left Munster for 'Quinns and what look at the simialar(ish) age profiel of the move. It could be perfect timing for him to develop under new coaching and it represents a positive recruitment policy of tapping up wild geese in areas where Irish rugby needs them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:seems another Stan Wright type scenario, played NPC, v little or no Super Rugby, after a season or two of fulltime rugby he could come good
Bent will have two full seasons in the Hurricanes Super XV squad under his belt by the time he arrives in Dublin, in addition to 45+ provincial caps. Fair enough, he hasn't been a starter for any of that period but he has made about 5 appearances from the bench already this season. It's not enormous experience, but it's not to be sniffed at by the same token. He won't be new to professional rugby by any means.
How much frontline gametime did Mike Ross have before he left Munster for 'Quinns and what look at the simialar(ish) age profiel of the move. It could be perfect timing for him to develop under new coaching and it represents a positive recruitment policy of tapping up wild geese in areas where Irish rugby needs them.
Ross isn't the best example. He's a good player who was never given a chance at Munster. He moved and made an immediate impact at Quins. I don't think it's likely that the Hurricanes have a tighthead development strategy that's close to as badly flawed as Munster's was.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

ronk wrote:Ross isn't the best example. He's a good player who was never given a chance at Munster. He moved and made an immediate impact at Quins. I don't think it's likely that the Hurricanes have a tighthead development strategy that's close to as badly flawed as Munster's was.
I take your point but, apart from the grumblings of a few embittered Hurricanes fans on internet message-boards, we have no evidence of how the club feels about Bent's departure. It's quite possible that they wanted him to stay but that the prospect of playing international rugby, and increasing his earnings exponentially in the process, was too good to resist.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

CiaranIrl wrote:No resigning announced, but I understand that he will do soon.
When I read this first I thought HvdM was leaving us :oops:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinster270

Post by leinster270 »

tackle-bag wrote:
ronk wrote:Ross isn't the best example. He's a good player who was never given a chance at Munster. He moved and made an immediate impact at Quins. I don't think it's likely that the Hurricanes have a tighthead development strategy that's close to as badly flawed as Munster's was.
I take your point but, apart from the grumblings of a few embittered Hurricanes fans on internet message-boards, we have no evidence of how the club feels about Bent's departure. It's quite possible that they wanted him to stay but that the prospect of playing international rugby, and increasing his earnings exponentially in the process, was too good to resist.
Likewise with Bent, he is an outstanding player but is not given the opportunity to start due to some crazy calls by Mark Hammett: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/prov ... Bents-exit. Read this to get a clearer picture as to why he's looking elsewhere.

The decision to leave New Zealand was made, in part, because of the frustration of not being selected to start for the Hurricanes in 2012, and also through a desire to seek selection for Ireland.

"It's a combination of things," he said. "If I had a big season here I possibly would have done things a little differently but that's the way it goes. The way it has been I think this might be the best opportunity for me.

"In saying that, I'm not bitter about how things are going and I'm here to see out the Hurricanes season and I'm still focused on doing my best and trying to push hard for a starting spot and keeping it."

Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett has been reluctant to use Bent in his second year of Super Rugby, preferring rookies Tristan Moran and Jeffery Toomaga-Allen to partner Ben May.

The decision has perplexed some pundits, especially the way Bent has settled the Hurricanes scrum when he has come off the bench. Bent said Hammett had told him he had preferred others in the squad because he wanted his props making tackles "out wide" as well as being more effective at cleaning out the breakdowns.

"I've been pretty happy with the way I've been scrummaging, it's been a strength of mine," he said.

10 Games in 2 years when your in direct competition with Neemia Tialata and John Schwalger proves he has something to offer + he will be leaving with 45+ caps for Taranaki as there starting tight head prop. Career wise for a 25 year old prop. Thats not too bad. And if you check the hurricanes page you will see he's playing again this week, replacing last weeks starting prop Tristan Moran (not due to injury) So there is no reason to Hammetts choices, I'd be questioning the coach before I questioned the players motives for leaving. http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/news/2012/0 ... w-plymouth

Bents decision to leave was based around his pursuit of an Irish National spot.

If you all don't want him, in sure the Canes will be more than happy to keep him!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinster270 wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:
Likewise with Bent, he is an outstanding player but is not given the opportunity to start due to some crazy calls by Mark Hammett: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/prov ... Bents-exit. Read this to get a clearer picture as to why he's looking elsewhere.

The decision to leave New Zealand was made, in part, because of the frustration of not being selected to start for the Hurricanes in 2012, and also through a desire to seek selection for Ireland.

"It's a combination of things," he said. "If I had a big season here I possibly would have done things a little differently but that's the way it goes. The way it has been I think this might be the best opportunity for me.

"In saying that, I'm not bitter about how things are going and I'm here to see out the Hurricanes season and I'm still focused on doing my best and trying to push hard for a starting spot and keeping it."

Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett has been reluctant to use Bent in his second year of Super Rugby, preferring rookies Tristan Moran and Jeffery Toomaga-Allen to partner Ben May.

The decision has perplexed some pundits, especially the way Bent has settled the Hurricanes scrum when he has come off the bench. Bent said Hammett had told him he had preferred others in the squad because he wanted his props making tackles "out wide" as well as being more effective at cleaning out the breakdowns.

"I've been pretty happy with the way I've been scrummaging, it's been a strength of mine," he said.

10 Games in 2 years when your in direct competition with Neemia Tialata and John Schwalger proves he has something to offer + he will be leaving with 45+ caps for Taranaki as there starting tight head prop. Career wise for a 25 year old prop. Thats not too bad. And if you check the hurricanes page you will see he's playing again this week, replacing last weeks starting prop Tristan Moran (not due to injury) So there is no reason to Hammetts choices, I'd be questioning the coach before I questioned the players motives for leaving. http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/news/2012/0 ... w-plymouth

Bents decision to leave was based around his pursuit of an Irish National spot.

If you all don't want him, in sure the Canes will be more than happy to keep him!
Thanks for that article, very interesting stuff.

As I said before, I view the Bent signing very positively – we're getting a guy who may not be quite the finished article yet, but isn't a rookie either ... and he's Irish qualified!

The difference between a guy who's 26 and has three seasons of ITM rugby [which is comparable to regular season Magner's League, in my opinion] under his belt and a guy who's 22 and hasn't started a first-grade professional match yet – I'm referring to Jack O'Connell, who'd be the next IQ tighthead in line by seniority after Ross and Hagan – is enormous.

We're really closing down our positions of need with regards to bringing in NIQ players. Strauss becomes IQ next season and with Bent replacing White, we're effectively opening up two NIQ spots. Even if one of them is closed down under the IRFU dictate, we're still in good shape.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:
We're really closing down our positions of need with regards to bringing in NIQ players. Strauss becomes IQ next season and with Bent replacing White, we're effectively opening up two NIQ spots. Even if one of them is closed down under the IRFU dictate, we're still in good shape.
I think Berquist is away on his toes too. Leaving just Isa, and another year for VDM if he wants it.

My bets are on a 2nd row. Either project or big name. Still leaves us 2 spots (If we use them all)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

The possibility of playing international rugby is one of the reasons Michael Bent will head to Leinster at the end of Taranaki's ITM Cup campaign.

The 25-year-old prop has signed a two-year deal with Irish province and is eligible for Ireland selection through his maternal grandmother.

"That's really something I want to push hard for," said the Hurricanes front-rower. "It will be a big focus when I get over there. That's certainly one of the aspects of the deal that I thought was quite attractive and one of the reasons I signed."

Bent revealed he had been in negotiation with the Heineken Cup holders for a while and had spoken a lot to their scrum coach, former Taranaki, Crusaders and All Black prop Greg Feek.

"In my first year (in the Hurricanes) wider group Greg Feek was here so I've had a bit to do with him," explained Bent.

"He was the one I was talking to a fair bit just getting the gist of things over there.

"Talking to him it sounds like a great environment and a great team to play for."

A lack of opportunity at the Hurricanes was also another factor behind Bent's decision to move on to a side that has Kiwi Joe Schmidt as their head coach and Jono Gibbes as forwards coach.

Bent has been mainly used off the bench by Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett with rookies Tristan Moran and Jeff Toomaga-Allen preferred to partner the experienced Ben May.

"There are good young guys coming through here so for me it just seemed like a great opportunity to get over there and have a crack and play some rugby overseas and get some experience over there," Bent said.

"Being the age I am I can always come back. I guess (Leinster) heard that I had an Irish passport and was able to play over there. Once they heard that it made me look like a more attractive prospect I suppose."

But the front-rower has no intention of leaving before he helps his province defend the Ranfurly Shield.

"I want to be part of that definitely. I leave after the ITM Cup."

http://www.allblacks.com/news/19020/Ben ... o-Leinster

It was the NPC in my day. . . . anyway the ITM Cup normally ends about the back end of August.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
I think Berquist is away on his toes too. Leaving just Isa, and another year for VDM if he wants it.

My bets are on a 2nd row. Either project or big name. Still leaves us 2 spots (If we use them all)
Let's not.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

sheepshagger wrote: It was the NPC in my day. . . . anyway the ITM Cup normally ends about the back end of August.
I think a lot of them still call it that. Seeing as it has been the Air New Zealand cup too. Nathan White captained Waikato to the final last September (Stephen Donald on the team)

I think it finished early though, cause of the WC This year it goes into October.

Yes I know you probably know all that. I just put it in for the people who don't follow it.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Lets.

I'm sure I read somewhere Berquist has signed for a French club - Toulon? Stade Francais?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

deco wrote:
johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Lets.

I'm sure I read somewhere Berquist has signed for a French club - Toulon? Stade Francais?
Biarritz.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

deco wrote:
johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Lets.

It was Biarritz - mentioned here
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
lostprofit
Beginner

Post by lostprofit »

Since Bent has an Irish passport, does that mean he could play for Ireland right off the boat?
Or is there an IRFU madate that Im not aware of that he has to live here a year or so?

Thats of course assuming Deccie actually knows about this and realises there is another option at THP >.<
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

lostprofit wrote:Since Bent has an Irish passport, does that mean he could play for Ireland right off the boat?
Yup
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ROUND 15. Thursday 11 October – Sunday 14 October
2.35pm Wellington v Taranaki Westpac Stadium Wellington

Unless Taranaki make the semis or final that is their last game.

Final is on the 27th of October
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
lostprofit wrote:Since Bent has an Irish passport, does that mean he could play for Ireland right off the boat?
Yup
There's an obligatory 2 year minimum wait to convert from tighthead to tighthead because he didn't play lock.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ronk wrote:
johng wrote:
Yup
There's an obligatory 2 year minimum wait to convert from tighthead to tighthead because he didn't play lock.
:lol:
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

LR should get someone to check if the two rookies ahead of him could get Irish passports as well (a Moran and an Allen afterall)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hes come on as a sub for the canes this morning
I have Bumbleflex