Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Post by simonokeeffe »

Watched the Hurricanes match this morning, made one great carry and loads more where he trucked it up off static ball and he didn't lose it or anything. Scrummed on loosehead side (starting loosehead moved across), at worst held his own (hard to tell as tighthead was driven back)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinster270

Post by leinster270 »

[quote="glenageary"]Searched twitter - he has no account??

@benty425 is his twitter - don't really think it's his thing though, but he posts now and then, only been up for about a week.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

In case anyone's interested I tweeted him just now to see when he'd be here. He reckoned he'd be here about mid November as he's off to Taranaki Rugby now for the start of their season. At least he should be relatively good to go once he gets here :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeinsterLeader wrote:In case anyone's interested I tweeted him just now to see when he'd be here. He reckoned he'd be here about mid November as he's off to Taranaki Rugby now for the start of their season. At least he should be relatively good to go once he gets here :D
:?
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

He might play for Ireland before he plays for Leinster if Ross and Fitzpatrick don't recover :wink:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cwebber82 wrote:He might play for Ireland before he plays for Leinster if Ross and Fitzpatrick don't recover :wink:
Over Kidney's rotting corpse (no volunteers, it's an expression)
Blåränderna
Graduate

Post by Blåränderna »

Why's he going to play for Taranaki now? Should he not be coming here for a bit of pre-season first??
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blåränderna wrote:Why's he going to play for Taranaki now? Should he not be coming here for a bit of pre-season first??
That's when his contract finishes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

he probably is our third best loosehead before he steps foot in the country, from what I've seen he can definitely scrummage better than any of the Connacht boys
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Bent has been putting in a serious stint for Taranaki in the ITM Cup since late August.

They played their first match on 25 August and played their ninth this morning – nine games in just over six weeks. The good news for us is that after a season where he was sparsely used by the Hurricanes in Super Rugby, he has started eight of the nine ITM Cup games at tighthead. Taranaki have won seven of nine, so they're a decent outfit.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

He'll probably arrive in 2 weeks so at least we have him for Autumn international period, need him too as scrum falls apart without Ross

and the way the game seems to be going with more and more attacking rugby then scrums will be become even more important, especially based on Munster match
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

guaranteed to get to the semis at least. they are on the 19th to the 21th. if the naki lose the semi. then you could see him for the ospreys game on the 4th. if they make the final. very unlikely. he is not in the hc squad and only 1 player can be added before the end of Jan. So he Will not feature v Clermont .
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

damn planet rugby and their misleading article, still looks like he might be here in time for Ospreys
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:damn planet rugby and their misleading article, still looks like he might be here in time for Ospreys
Even if he makes it he will be in tatters after a compressed comp down south with midweek games etc. He will need a rest. I would say they will target the Glasgow away game for him and Goodman who will likely be in the semis of the lower comp.

In the weird setup of the NPC/ITM cup this year. 8 teams out of 14 will see semi final action.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

In fairness our depth at TH is not bad. with Moore and Furlong in the Academy. Both would be fine on the bench for Rabo games.

Furlong is injured I think.

The big question with Bent (who can play both sides) is will he slot in behind Jamie Hagan or ahead of him.

Either way we should have at least 3 sets of very decent props with everyone fit. and 5 more in the academy.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:In fairness our depth at TH is not bad. with Moore and Furlong in the Academy. Both would be fine on the bench for Rabo games.

The big question with Bent (who can play both sides) is will he slot in behind Jamie Hagan or ahead of him.

Either way we should have at least 3 sets of very decent props with everyone fit. and 5 more in the academy.
Wonder if it'll shut George Hook up given the number of IQ tight heads with serious potential all of a sudden being available and rotated well in Leinster. Getting very tired of his shite of harpin on tight heads.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
Wonder if it'll shut George Hook up ...
I feel a bit sorry for you right now.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:In fairness our depth at TH is not bad. with Moore and Furlong in the Academy. Both would be fine on the bench for Rabo games.

Long term we're in good health (Moore is hugely promising) but Hagan cant handle international level scrummagers
Sub tighthead for first choice team IMO, we have 3 good looseheads
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Furlong is back playing for Tarf I believe. And playing well at that.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

If we can't register Bent for the Hcup then I think we're screwed upfront this year. Mike will get a knock sooner or later.... I miss White already.