Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Post by TerenureJim »

Golf Man wrote:First off I have no idea what Zebo and Jackman are doing in your postulations above (did Jackman play England U-20s? Wiki says that he played Ireland U-19 and U-21). Both are Irish, simple as and kind of strange that you would use them in a discussion like this.
Just using them as an example as to why you shouldn't judge players based upon simple evidence, for all most of us know Bent could be someone who has a real connection to Ireland in terms of how he feels about the country and his heritage (or yes he could be a Riki Fluety).

I just don't think we should be jumping to conclusions about someone who is coming over to play sport here from the SH no more than we should jump to judge others as people can have all sorts of varied backgrounds that can lead to you playing potentially for Ireland one day.

Again I go back to if they want to play for Ireland and have a connection whether through heritage or residency and they're good enough well then let them play.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

A little off topic, but close enough... Master stroke by the SRU if you ask me. http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -Crusaders
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

AdamK wrote:A little off topic, but close enough... Master stroke by the SRU if you ask me. http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -Crusaders
Have to admit, I was thinking -I would love if Leinster could pull off a signing like this- when I read that!
I know we can entice great names, just not much evidence of it this season.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yeh, big time, regardless of qualification, Maitland is the exact type of player that'd fit into Leinster's ranks.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

posted this in the BOD/Lions thread but Maitland has played for NZ u20 and Maori which surely ties him to NZ (Maoiri their designated A team some years)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Interesting... unless they don't count as caps?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:posted this in the BOD/Lions thread but Maitland has played for NZ u20 and Maori which surely ties him to NZ (Maoiri their designated A team some years)
PR headline something to the effect of: Scotland Qualified Maitland signs..... (or somesuch)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:posted this in the BOD/Lions thread but Maitland has played for NZ u20 and Maori which surely ties him to NZ (Maoiri their designated A team some years)
Riki Flutey played for the Maori.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:
Riki Flutey played for the Maori.
Mickey Flute y played for the Maori v the Lions. Then played for the Lions. How mad is that?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote: Mickey Flute y played
Sounds a bit rude when selectively quoted
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

AdamK wrote:Yeh, big time, regardless of qualification, Maitland is the exact type of player that'd fit into Leinster's ranks.

I'm not that impressed by him. A bit headless. Speed being his main asset.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

just read IRB rules, this is some serious loophole stuff
He can't have played for NZ, NZ 7's or NZ 'A'

Maitland had to have played u20's a year the Maori or Junior All Blacks were NZ designated A side
Maitland had to have played for the Maori a year the Maori WERENT NZ designated A side (and also possibly Maoiri werent playing another country's designated 'A' side)
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Have the Maori ever been the designated NZ "A" side? I don't think they have. They're a representative side, you need to have some sort of Maori descent to play for them.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Richie McCaw is taking a break from the international team (It's in his contract).
Is he somebody Leinster should check out if things go well against Clerment.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I could well be wrong but think they may have been in the years Junior All Blacks didnt play (in Pacific Nations Cup) unless their u20's were, looks like he also can't have played for Maori against Wolfhounds, Saxons etc
can someone explain this guy's (a former captain) maori lineage :)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bent and Goodman arriving late this week, available to play against the Ospreys on 4th November.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ah good ol Tito, could be a case of the Ryan Giggs I guess.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

TerenureJim wrote:
So would you say the same of the Easterbuy's, Simon Geoghan, Keith Gleeson, Issac Boss?
:cry: This is the most disturbing thing I've ever read. I always thought Simon Geoghan was 100% Connacht born and bred and just got a move to England as he was so good...

The Maitland signing is weird, I was sure the Maori was NZ "A" and always has been. I've certainly never heard of New Zealand "A" before, just heard of the Maori, in the same way you'd hear of the Saxons or Wolfhounds, they were just the first ones to give it a name I thought...

To be honest, I couldn't care less where players come from, as long as they are or become Irish qualified, are really good and play for Leinster. Strauss is now as Irish to me as freckles, bad debt and domestic violence. A few more like him would be nice.

Regarding McCaw, I think if he wanted to come to Europe, he'd be virtually impossible to get, as Toulon and Racing Metro and all the sugar daddies would pay whatever it takes to get him - literally the Diego Maradona of our day, he'll be remembered in 40 years as one of the greatest ever. Plus, it's in one of our strongest areas, back row, both in terms of quality and depth.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

[Jackass] wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
So would you say the same of the Easterbuy's, Simon Geoghan, Keith Gleeson, Issac Boss?
:cry: This is the most disturbing thing I've ever read. I always thought Simon Geoghan was 100% Connacht born and bred and just got a move to England as he was so good...

The Maitland signing is weird, I was sure the Maori was NZ "A" and always has been. I've certainly never heard of New Zealand "A" before, just heard of the Maori, in the same way you'd hear of the Saxons or Wolfhounds, they were just the first ones to give it a name I thought...

To be honest, I couldn't care less where players come from, as long as they are or become Irish qualified, are really good and play for Leinster. Strauss is now as Irish to me as freckles, bad debt and domestic violence. A few more like him would be nice.

Regarding McCaw, I think if he wanted to come to Europe, he'd be virtually impossible to get, as Toulon and Racing Metro and all the sugar daddies would pay whatever it takes to get him - literally the Diego Maradona of our day, he'll be remembered in 40 years as one of the greatest ever. Plus, it's in one of our strongest areas, back row, both in terms of quality and depth.
I'm happy to stand corrected on Geoghan but I think he was born in England.

The Maori have been around as a team for a very long time, they celebrated their centinery a few years ago, unlike an "A" team you have to prove Maori ancestory in your family to be invited to play for them. I'm not sure of their set up in terms of the NZRU but I don't think it's always been a harmonious relationship.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

TerenureJim wrote:Just using them as an example as to why you shouldn't judge players based upon simple evidence, for all most of us know Bent could be someone who has a real connection to Ireland in terms of how he feels about the country and his heritage (or yes he could be a Riki Fluety).
Indeed, which is why I wrote this earlier;
suisse wrote:I'm not in a position to question Bent's "Irishness" (maybe he feels very strongly about our country) but I'd be very wary about tossing a cap to a lad because some descendant once walked our land.
I just wanna know why this guy surfaced following the Twickenham debacle. Presumably he always knew he had an Irish grandmother (unlike Thomas Waldrum with the English granny) so why does he wanna come over now? Is it because he couldn't make the NZ squad, or am I too cynical? I also think the "granny" rule is too far removed especially for established nations like Ireland. Of course you don't have to be born in a country to represent it. Your identity is determined by the people around you (family, siblings etc) and how you were brought up to embrace your family's nationality. Basically, I don't want someone like Thomas Waldroum playing for Ireland. Ringing up his mother to determine if the granny was, in fact, born in the UK.

With regards to Strauss, I agree with Golfman. 5 years should be the minimum. I just don't understand why someone who would want to represent Ireland when they have no ancestral connection to the country. If the goal is to play international rugby, then fight for a place in the SA team. I love Strauss, he's been an excellent signing, and I hope he finishes his career with Leinster. But I wouldn't select him for the national team.

The Simon Zebo link is a weird one. He was born in Ireland, and all his life he has lived here. He's Irish. As I said, the Easterbys were born in the UK to an Irish mother, like Mick McCarthy etc. Ross had a grandmother who left Antrim very young. Not the same thing at all.