Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Eve
Mullet Moderator

Re: Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Post by Eve »

Arrived and joining the Irish training camp tomorrow. Will he play for Ireland before he plays for Leinster? :shock: :shock:
Summer is ready when you are

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Welcome to Ireland - here's an Ireland jersey!!

Jesus, just how desperate does that make us look. I'm probably going to be slated for this but I think the decision made today to call up a player who only arrived in the country, at the expense of Irish players is wrong. And while I'm on the subject, I was fully behind the project player policy until approximately 12:03 on Wednesday when Feckin Kiddinme read out the name Court followed by D'Arcy, the name Sexton followed by Strauss and Tuohy followed by Zebo. I've nothing against Richardt, in fact I'm delighted for him, but the decision to overlook Cronin, Sherry and yes even Varley was, in my opinion unfair.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Mackman15 wrote:Read somewhere during the week that he's arriving today. Cead mile failte at that rate.
And already called up to the squad, embarrassingly enough
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

tate wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:Read somewhere during the week that he's arriving today. Cead mile failte at that rate.
And already called up to the squad, embarrassingly enough
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10547.php
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Xanthippe wrote:Welcome to Ireland - here's an Ireland jersey!!

Jesus, just how desperate does that make us look. I'm probably going to be slated for this but I think the decision made today to call up a player who only arrived in the country, at the expense of Irish players is wrong. And while I'm on the subject, I was fully behind the project player policy until approximately 12:03 on Wednesday when Feckin Kiddinme read out the name Court followed by D'Arcy, the name Sexton followed by Strauss and Tuohy followed by Zebo. I've nothing against Richardt, in fact I'm delighted for him, but the decision to overlook Cronin, Sherry and yes even Varley was, in my opinion unfair.
Tbf strauss starts ahead of Cronin for leinster. There's a certain element of getting him capped asap too.

Personally I'm delighted for him, top quality player and here's hoping he can bring something to table.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

tate wrote:

Tbf strauss starts ahead of Cronin for leinster. There's a certain element of getting him capped asap too.

Personally I'm delighted for him, top quality player and here's hoping he can bring something to table.
Oh I agree, I'm delighted for him too but that doesn't make my disappointment for Cronin any less. The Leinster camp must have been very uncomfortable for both of them last week.

But, as I said on another thread at least Strauss has given three fantastic years to Irish rugby and deserves his call up unlike Bent who gets his jersey as soon as he sets foot on Irish soil - guess you could call that the luck of the Irish.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote:But, as I said on another thread at least Strauss has given three fantastic years to Irish rugby and deserves his call up unlike Bent who gets his jersey as soon as he sets foot on Irish soil - guess you could call that the luck of the Irish.
Only semantics but he's been to Ireland often before and his sister lives here i think.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Whilst from a Leinster perspective it's promising that he's seen as a potential international, it's still a major f*ck off to any Irish props. Loughney played tighthead for Ireland over the summer but didn't get a look in. Andress is a solid scrummager who has played Ireland A and didn't get a call. There are a number of other A internationals who didn't get a call.
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

Due to lack of any quality tight heads. Munster have none, neither do Cannacht and there are huge question marks(fitness) over Fitzpatrick. Leinster have a good assembly line and Ulster look to have a few good ones. Also 3 spots filled by none qualified players. So not much choice.
The Overseer
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Offiah wrote:Due to lack of any quality tight heads. Munster have none, neither do Cannacht and there are huge question marks(fitness) over Fitzpatrick. Leinster have a good assembly line and Ulster look to have a few good ones. Also 3 spots filled by none qualified players. So not much choice.
John Andress has started every game this season in the Aviva Premiership. Loughney was being capped against NZ only 4 months ago. There are choices there if we wanted. I don't mind him training with the squad with an eye to the future but officially bringing him in ahead of others when he's literally just off the plane today is not the right message.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

What a joke. We rightly laughed at England's mercenaries and kilted Kiwis. No longer. Call ups for Bent and Strauss are a disgrace. Ireland reach a new nadir. Will no longer support.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Apocrypha wrote:What a joke. We rightly laughed at England's mercenaries and kilted Kiwis. No longer. Call ups for Bent and Strauss are a disgrace. Ireland reach a new nadir. Will no longer support.
brian smith
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

How do you know he overlooked Cronin, Sherry and Varley?
Maybe, he looked at all his options and decided Strauss was the more suited player.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Xanthippe wrote:I've nothing against Richardt, in fact I'm delighted for him, but the decision to overlook Cronin, Sherry and yes even Varley was, in my opinion unfair.
Sheery and Varley have been overlooked because they arent really good enough.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Apocrypha wrote:What a joke. We rightly laughed at England's mercenaries and kilted Kiwis. No longer. Call ups for Bent and Strauss are a disgrace. Ireland reach a new nadir. Will no longer support.
Will you be placated by us starting Stephen Archer? Properly Irish and properly sh!t!

This isn't new. Remember Andy Ward and Kurt McQuilkin? Where was your boycott then?

Grow the f%~k up!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Logorrhea wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I've nothing against Richardt, in fact I'm delighted for him, but the decision to overlook Cronin, Sherry and yes even Varley was, in my opinion unfair.
Yep. And Cronin too if we're honest. None of them are near Strauss as a player, not even close
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Logorrhea wrote:
Along with Bent, Cronin has also been called up

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/27570.php
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
Yep. And Cronin too if we're honest. None of them are near Strauss as a player, not even close
Not exactly a massive gap between the 2 of them I'd have thought? Strauss' breakdown work is better alright and Cronin's throwing can be a little suspect but I wouldn't put him miles behind Strauss.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Oh well!
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Donny B. wrote:
Will you be placated by us starting Stephen Archer? Properly Irish and properly sh!t!

This isn't new. Remember Andy Ward and Kurt McQuilkin? Where was your boycott then?

Grow the f%~k up!
I was a child back then in the dark days of amateurism. Judging by your abusive response, you still are (mentally). Did you have hair back then?